2006 Minifig Set Pics

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Well, this new photo features fewer minifigs. Still, this is a noticeable improvement on earlier KKII figs. I'm kind of disappointed by the reuse of Santis' visor, as I have never been particularly fond of that design. Fortunately, in most other regards, these minifigs are a step in the right direction. Gone are the monochromatic jellybeans of the previous two years in favour of a more traditional look. The prints on the breastplates look promising as well, with what appears to be the design found on the larger maxifigs.

The new photo has compelled me to review the shot we saw earlier. I suspect that the celtic rogue knights may in fact have golden arms and legs; a far departure from the naked warriors we were all hoping for :lol: .

As nice as the figs are, I'm not too pleased about the overabundance of stickers. Stickers have never been a great substitute for printed bricks as they wear with time. I suspect it was one of many cost-saving measures that LEGO has employed to get themselves back in the black, so I won't hold it against them. The set designs seem on par with what we've seen this year, though the colour scheme seems more eye-pleasing.

The one thing I'm still curious about is the still-mysterious 8813, Battle at the Pass. This sounds suspiciously like a minifig pack, with a few accessories. Here's hoping for a 10-20 minifig pack (aka army builder). We've been waiting long enough for something like this. If this set is fig-intensive, its sure to be a fan favorite.

Overall, this is the first time I've actually had any interest in KKII. Its taken a few years, but it seems like this line is finally taking a few steps in the right direction.

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Blueandwhite wrote:The new photo has compelled me to review the shot we saw earlier. I suspect that the celtic rogue knights may in fact have golden arms and legs; a far departure from the naked warriors we were all hoping for :lol: .
I haven't been following this discussion much because I don't have much to add. However, I saw all of these sets at Enfield when I went last month. The figs are yellow, not gold, and they do look half naked.

I was at Enfield to see the new Batman, Spongebob and Avatar sets, so I wasn't able to take a really indepth look at the KK2.3 sets, but I remember then being yellow.

I'm pretty sure Jayko's armor is yellow not gold, I think I would have remembered gold euro-armor.

The sets look better in person than online and the figs are all delicious. I had trouble tracking down the two new rogues in minifig version (could only find the naked one), but he was pretty cool and the new henchmen are neat-o as well.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

looks like lord vladek's pissed!

at least we dont have any of the gay cavaliers in flourecent armour (forgive my french but its true) but on lego.com iv seen the big models and if the minifigs use the same weapons then were in for some good accesories.
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

lord azreal wrote:at least we dont have any of the gay cavaliers in flourecent armour (forgive my french but its true)
Off-topic but I had to put my oar in since I invited lord azreal here. The Admins here don't usually allow comments like this since it generally...umm...tends to cause the discussion to cycle swifty downhill. We try to not let that happen. So lets try to keep the "french" to a bare minimum, it makes it a lot friendlier place to post.

Okay, I'm done now. :)

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

errr yea sorry got a bit carried away there...
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day
BuilderQ
Laborer

Post by BuilderQ »

Blueandwhite wrote:The one thing I'm still curious about is the still-mysterious 8813, Battle at the Pass. This sounds suspiciously like a minifig pack, with a few accessories. Here's hoping for a 10-20 minifig pack (aka army builder).
That would be without precedent. More likely, it will be a "pass" consisting of BURPs and some sort of catapult-armed fortress. :D
Graynar wrote:Any castle LEGO set with the word "battle" in it, should be good.
Well, the only examples so far are the 6018 Battle Dragon and the 8874 Battle Wagon.
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

BuilderQ wrote:
Well, the only examples so far are the 6018 Battle Dragon and the 8874 Battle Wagon.
Hehe, got me there. I forgot about those. But I was hoping for an intresting new set from battle at the pass.

I bet it's going to be similar to border ambush. :?
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

Graynar wrote:I bet it's going to be similar to border ambush. :?
Knock on wood. :wink:
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

BuilderQ wrote:
Blueandwhite wrote:The one thing I'm still curious about is the still-mysterious 8813, Battle at the Pass. This sounds suspiciously like a minifig pack, with a few accessories. Here's hoping for a 10-20 minifig pack (aka army builder).
That would be without precedent. More likely, it will be a "pass" consisting of BURPs and some sort of catapult-armed fortress. :D
True, there has been no real precedent for something like this in the castle line, however the City line has done something similar with its community workers sets (9293, and 9247).

It is also worth noting that the numbering for this set isn't consistant with the numbering system LEGO has been using with KKII. For the past couple of years, sets have been ordered sequentially from smallest to largest (ie, 8777, 8778, 8779, 8880, 8881). Sure, there are exceptions, however a gap in this ordering seems to suggest that there is something unique or different about 8813.

And finally, with the introduction of the LEGO Ambassador program, its not unreasonable to assume that the possibility of a minifig pack may have been suggested to the powers that be at one point or another (given the popularity of the idea among fans). Of course, this is all wishful thinking, but who would have imagined the possibility of a minifig chess set until this year?

Anything is possible.

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The idea of a castle or viking minifig pack/set has frequently been presented to LEGO by the CC Admins. I do not know if we are getting such a set but LEGO is aware that castle fans want one. The chess set is evidence to me that LEGO listened to fans wanting a set with more generic soldier figures. Hopefully this trend continues in the future.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

i agree, looking back it seemed extremely easy to build an army, but nowadays its full of characters and when you finish the series you end up with 6 lord vladeks 7 sir santis'
6 sir rascus' 6 sir jaykos 3 sir danjus, 14 shadow knights 1 gaurdian and king mathias
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Lord arzeal wrote:
i agree, looking back it seemed extremely easy to build an army, but nowadays its full of characters and when you finish the series you end up with 6 lord vladeks 7 sir santis'
6 sir rascus' 6 sir jaykos 3 sir danjus, 14 shadow knights 1 gaurdian and king mathias
I agree. I have at least ten Santis's and five Jaykos.

Discussion over on Eurobricks states that Battle at the pass could possibly be the biggest set of KK2:3.

Thoughts of large armies fighting in a pass, with siege weapons and maybe a small castle come to mind. :wink:
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Graynar wrote:Lord arzeal wrote:

Discussion over on Eurobricks states that Battle at the pass could possibly be the biggest set of KK2:3.

Thoughts of large armies fighting in a pass, with siege weapons and maybe a small castle come to mind. :wink:
Well with whats left of my LEGO fund, I might just get that set if it's any good. Hopefully it will have more terrain then any of the sets from all lines that have come before.

About the old jelly bellies, it got passed around here acouple times of what could be done with them.

The Rascus knights with foresty cloaks and the right equipment could fit in with the forestmen. The Santis knights could go with Crusaders or Royal Knights, The Danju knights could go with the black falcons.

The Jayko knights and the rest look very good by themselves if you get your hands on enough of them. :wink:
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

TheOrk wrote:
Graynar wrote:Lord arzeal wrote:

Well with whats left of my LEGO fund, I might just get that set if it's any good. Hopefully it will have more terrain then any of the sets from all lines that have come before.

About the old jelly bellies, it got passed around here acouple times of what could be done with them.

The Rascus knights with foresty cloaks and the right equipment could fit in with the forestmen. The Santis knights could go with Crusaders or Royal Knights, The Danju knights could go with the black falcons.

The Jayko knights and the rest look very good by themselves if you get your hands on enough of them. :wink:
Yes...many people take one look at a KK2 fig and think: "Man, it's just a useless jellybean!" They don't consider what could be done with it. If you put in some darker colours and change the weaponry a bit, you can actually have a good fig. The heads are wonderfully generic - no fleshtones or forehead scars here.

Also, the idea that a KK2 fig doesn't fit in with a Castle world is a bit silly. If you stick, say, a fully-armoured Black Knight in a group of Crusader soldiers, then he is, of course, going to stand out from them - just as a KK2 knight would. But if you have a whole group of Black Knights facing a group of Crusader soldiers, then it doesn't look so odd. - just as if you had a whole group of KK2 knights, they'd look (relatively) normal.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing this new set.

- Matt
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

Like Graynar said,

When you buy a KK2 set you're getting jellybeans, maybe Vladek, and most definitely some shadow knights. When I bought mine I didn't look at them for an army use than I did for the use of different factions. I used my Rascus armor for the forest men (The old type, of course), Santis's armor (The new kind) for my crusaders, and Danju's armor (The new kind) for a Wolfpack royality. And with my Jayko I created a Tarheels voodoo doll. (Sorry Bloody Jay, I'm a Duke fan ;) ) With Vladek's armor I created a dark lord. :roll:

I may be repeating Graynar a bit, but I do strongly agree with what he pointed out.

There are always uses for everything TLG comes out with, you're the one who decides.