Weekly Set Review: Black Knight's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

Thanks Jojo,
Jojo wrote: Hehe, I think Ben accidentally didn't change the announcement back to the regular set review standard annozuncement, that's why it says something about alternate models. :-)
Ben has actually changed the announcement back, but I had seen it with the "alternates' title, and had started to think abit more about it. Now I have a whole collection of alternates or sets - thanks to your brickshelf gallery.
Cheers,
Bert.
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
Horak the Great
Peasant

6086 Black Knight's Castle

Post by Horak the Great »

Aesthetically, the nicest castle Lego has produced. 6090 is a very close rival, but it seems a bit more palatial. The Minifigs plus the barding are great. A good number of minifigs too. I don't mind the raised baseplate too much, but I do realize that it does limit building possibilities.
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

I love this castle! It is an inginious creation. The guy who came up with this set must have been a mastermind. This is one of the few lego castles that has a ladder to get up onto the castle wall. I just started collecting legos, and this was the first set I looked at buying. It has the white dragon plumes, (which I now also have a complete wheel of!) and all of the decorations around the drowbridge give it a royaler look. It also has the large plastic plag that I think is also one of the things that makes this castle so great. I could go on, but it would take all day, so I will just say that, all in all, it is one of Legos best castle ever.
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

This is a nice castle to me, and this was the "one" I always wanted, but when I had the change, I disided not to buy it becouse of the lack of 2 walls. The photo`s of it are always made in the right angle and show the good sides of it. But it is a good castle, and I can say that I feel a little sorry for not buying it
That's why I built the additional 2 walls that the set originally lacks + a large gate on the inside.That way, I believe, it looks complete. When I have enough time I'll post some pictures here.
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

I do not own this set :( (I hope that I would one day),and I actually never see this in live...But what I can say from the pictures it would be in top3 castles ever...

It's gonna be a Legend,if there will be any(we're hoping and hoping....)
Greetings from Serbia
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Umm big, black, and a huge army. Good piece selection, and good defense
I can't point out anymore they are all probably taken... 11/10
I only give a extra point for the best :) gooday to all :D
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

I think I am going to consider to buy this. It has so many must have castle collector pieces.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

One of, if not my favourite castle set. The tudor style side, and the imposing structure, along with the figs, make it unbelievable.
Elbee
Peasant

Post by Elbee »

The one I wanted most in my childhood, and the one I never got.

I finally, many years later, have purchased it for myself over BrickLink. It arrived today, and I built it immediately. It's even better than I'd thought; the 'courtyard' I particularly like, with the 'well' to throw food (or refuse) at the prisoners, and it has a ladder up to the wall and everything!

And a table! Those knights are downright spoiled with this inclusion of furniture. :D

On the downside are two typical LEGO foibles: The gatehouse being the largest part of the castle, and criminally low battlements (a mere 1.6 studs of protection atop the walls!).

Nevertheless I think it's the best castle set LEGO ever produced, and now that I own it my life is complete.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

This was the second large scale castle I was given. It was funny because for a great deal of time my crusaders were houseless and it was Black Falcon's verses this lovely castle. I did have the additional wall sections for the black falcons castle so it was a bit larger but the fact this one was on a raised baseplate and so huge really was telling. Then I built my own monster castle to rival it for the crusaders...

I think there were alot of features in this I enjoyed. One was the domestic rooms this castle had often is overlooked. The fact this one had a well, all important in castles. The downstairs dungeon... though I used it for storage. it came with a great army and prisoneer. It ws a good set. I did not have Black Monarchs castle until later so this was the primary black knights structure that I owned. That was a good Christmas.

Did the castle lack two walls? I am not sure I saw that one. It does have two smaller ones but only the one by the gate tower bothered me much. Building a stone or wood pallisade atop ramparts works ok for me as a wall, the other one is ok, though if it were just one more layer higher I'd be happier with it.

QUESTION
What is and where did the tudor term come from? The framed look goes back to the early medieval period so some 300 or so years pretudor. The tudors do begin using them with brick infil though which could be called tudor. Am I IDing the right part?

DO we need pictures? I can see if I can get some if so.

R
hulk hogan
Villein

Post by hulk hogan »

I loved this set. I think I got it when it was called Dungeon Masters Castle. What a wonderful set. I loved the having the woldpack attack this place. I would somethimes place a little water in the dungeon, to give it a murky feel.

10/10
Conan
Gong Farmer

Post by Conan »

I bought this castle for a week ago on internet. A good thing with this set is that there is good parts. // Conan
metalandi
Villein

Post by metalandi »

i'm on it on ebay, and the auction is ending today. i hope i'll get it (not too expensive)cause i alwayswanted that set as a child but never got it. so here is my chance :D
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

This is an awesome set. I got two back in my early collector days. The tudor walls and the large flag are the highlights for me. Definately lots of figures as well. I keep one set built and use the other for spare parts. With a little modification this turns into a great keep when surrounded by 2 black monarchs castles and 2 knight's strongholds. Makes for one kickbooty dark castle and huge too...
metalandi
Villein

Post by metalandi »

should get it until friday. can't wait to build it up!