Weekly Set Review: Battering Ram

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Battering Ram

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6062 Battering Ram.

Battering Ram was released in 1987. Two soldiers and one archer guard the Black Falcon tower and wall which can connect to 6074 Black Falcon’s Fortress. Two lion soldiers and one lion archer use the ram to attack the door in the wall.

Last edited by architect on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Definitely not as realistic as James' MOC, but, oh how we would all like to see something of this quality available again.

The battering ram was actually made out of useable parts, which means it could be turned into something else, useful ( a concept that should be returned to :roll: )

If this was available today I would buy 10...for starters. The fact that 10 battering rams would seem useless would cause me to find other uses for those parts they are made out of. We all remember how many not so useful (for anything else (stupid black doorway panels :x )) pieces there were in the last siege weaponry related set, Bull's Attack.

Minifigures, in a 1:1 ratio, 2 of the coolest factions. Enough castle pieces to make it worth while.

10/10...and no I do not have this set.....stupid GI Joe distracted my young mind....missed out on a lot of the 80's Lego :cry:
Troy T. Moore
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Let me start by saying that I think it's really a great set (one of my TOP10).

Unfortunately TLC deosn't seem to realize that when they reissue 6074, they had to reissue that set as well and launched them togther (even as a single set). For all of those who have 6074 - BFF it's a must have set. It was produced in 1987 replacing another great set in the same style 6061 (that was connecting to 6080).

I was so jealous that my friend bought that set, so to compete I saved my money to buy the Guarded Inn (6067 was a new set in 1987 in Israel so we saw both of those sets together).

It got a nice fortified wall which is guarded by an army of 3 BF while the Lion army tries to conquer it using a fortified Battering Ram. It included 4 light gray walls and 4 light gray corner walls. It does not include any hard to get parts though.

The nice small army of minifigs there is great (almost the same as the one in 6102).
I think it would have been nice if the BF had 2 more shields there but as always the lions shields were spread freely while the BF shields were hard to get.
For some reason in my instructions the BF blue shield appears green, if only the real shield were green as well.:lol:

To sum up, one of the best sets TLC ever made, perfect score 10/10
the only shame is that if TLC will reissue it, it will be in the New Gray
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

This is a wonderful, one of my most favorite set of all time!

I just loved the battering ram, and I didn't give a hoot about the inacuracy about it, I was 6 for crying out loud! The figs are great, the beginings of my Black Falcon army. I really liked all the parts, combined with the BFF I made a larger castle and blew it to bits with my custom catapult :twisted:

If LEGO made a set half as good I would be happy.

10/10!!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

I wish lego still made sets like this. a great selection of parts, 6 knights!!! 6!!!!
and you dont have to spend a hundred bucks to get them
an equal amount of opposing sides!!!

can you say core values!?

freak
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Hear, Hear,

All the pertinent points about this set have been made, but I had to chime in to agree, I "sometimes" do that. :wink: Anyway this is one of my favs and I would probably buy about 20 of them if this was released as a legend. A big 10/10

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Great set! Great selection of figs! Though I wondered why the Black Falcons hed red hips (OK, they already had them in 6102.)

The wall section is very cool with the hinges and the little tower, so it made a great addition to my 6074 as others already said. The black door was very cool because it was a rare piece (only available in the King's Castle 6080 at that time) and black was much cooler for wood than the other doors I had.

The battering ram itself may not be historically accurate but I don't care at all. It was so much fun to play with it! Well, this machine wouldn't be able to break open any door if there was a lock bar installed.... ;)

Bye
Jojo

Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

Very nice, I believe all major points have been said. Sadly, I never owned this set. It has as many mini-figs as the Black Falcon's Fortress!
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

10/10

And why? This little set ist asymmetric. It's perfect balanced in the Golden Cut*, isn't it?

Two of them made a neat little fortress, I always used it together with the Guarded Inn as kind of ... errr ... "Better Guarded Inn" ;-)

One point: Why is the Falcon's flag in blue-white? Weren't they supposed to have green instead of blue??

*http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt669/stude ... ldcut.html
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

One point: Why is the Falcon's flag in blue-white? Weren't they supposed to have green instead of blue??

When the BFF was made for some reason the green/white flag altered to blue/white

(also happened with the lion's when they made 6081 and altered the flags from red/yellow to red/blue)

Let me refer you to this discussion: http://classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

6062 is one of the best LEGOLAND Castle sets ever. It has something for everyone: a cool wall, a siege machine, and many figures to play with.

We should start a written petition to TLC because 6062 should be the next Castle Legend. The kids who have the BFF and GI need this set to connect their castle wall.

Such a great set! :D

Ben
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

We should start a written petition to TLC because 6062 should be the next Castle Legend. The kids who have the BFF and GI need this set to connect their castle wall.
hehe, how good it will do to those kids who have BFF and GI with the old nice light gray when this wall will come out in the new gray?

You should add to the petition that it should come out in the old gray, and Ben I'm behind you 100% on that idea.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

There isn't much more I can say about this set that hasn't already been said. This is a wondeful set. In my mind, this set symbolizes everything that is classic Lego. Lego hasn't produced sets of this quality and caliber in years; and in my mind, I doubt that they will again, or at least for some time.

I agree that this set should be released as a legend to accompany the rerelease of the Black Falcon's Fortress, and as you all have said, it MUST be released in classic gray. In fact, I think any rerelease should be made in the same colors as hte original. (off topic, why they would change the colors is beyond me. Another stupid and crushing move by Lego).

This set easily gets and deserves a 10/10. Spectacular.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
kaloo
Laborer

Post by kaloo »

We wantssss itssss, we wantsss itssss, we sssstranglessssss you now if you dont givessss itssssssssssssss

Everything has been said already, so I had a Gollum-Moment.
Lollius has been placed by the side of the road so that all who pass may say 'hello Lollius' - Inscription on roman tomb
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

You should add to the petition that it should come out in the old gray, and Ben I'm behind you 100% on that idea.
I am behind the Baron as well on this (I hope he is a POWERFUL Baron :D )
Troy T. Moore