Weekly Set Review: Royal King's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Astuanaks
Villein

Post by Astuanaks »

I have mixed feelings about this castle.

On the one hand:
At the time of its release, it looked like a good set, compared to the castles available at that time. The minifigs are nice. Especially the black smith (short legs!), the wizard, the dog and the black helmets with neck protector appeal to me.
I am not too bothered by the raised baseplate. I don't own one and I think I could actually use it in larger MOC's to create some hills or so.

But on the other hand:
There are just too many big pieces. I use such pieces rarely. And those black wall pieces do not fit into my collection anywhere.
Also the blue roofs. I have a lot of red 45° slopes, so I would really like some tall red slopes in stead of blue.

So far, I would be undecided. But if you look at the part count and the price in my part of the world, you end up at 13.7 eurocent per part. That's about the highest figure around.
In the end, I don't find this set worth the price for me: too little useful and too many useless pieces at a high price.

best regards,
Astuanaks
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Astuanax]My Brickshelf folder[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

The most funny thing is how Lego (shop-at-home) advertises this set:
”This special-edition set recreates the classic #6090 King’s Royal Castle with updated parts and colors. Relive the excitement of the Age of Knights by building one of the biggest and best LEGO castles of all time!“
Hello? 6090?

However, it's not so bad a set. It comes with a lot of pieces, even useful ones, if you are into the ”updated colors“. If you ordered it from German shop-at-home you got a free package of 50 flaggs and poles. Something I've allways been dreaming of. Thanks anyway. :-)

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

that's an odd bonus to throw in, jojo. what would you even do with that many flags?

i like this set a lot. there are enough pieces to make useful things out of, although it does tend toward bigger pieces (my least favorite aspect of it are those tower pieces without studs in them, making them essentially useless space, as no minifig can stand in there.) and it looks good. i actually love the bley/blue color scheme. the backwards towers in the back confuse me (i turned them round immediately), but that's ok.

the fig count is great, it has plenty of weapons and armor, horses, non-soldier figs, (although the decision to not give the dwarf a beard is a little odd, as is the wizard's plain blue torso with no printing). the baseplate seems like it could have been fun - the whole subterraneous dungeon/smithy thing sounds really cool but is hard to play with.

bottom line is that i love the way this sucker looks sitting on my desk. something about it screams castle to me.
79% of Classic Castle hates KK2. If you're one of the 20% that loves it, paste this into your sig. Started by Danju.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

including a new ghost only found in this set
What's new about him? He looks like one of the 20 I already have.
If you ordered it from German shop-at-home you got a free package of 50 flaggs and poles.
Are they all one color or multiple colors?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Athos wrote:What's new about him? He looks like one of the 20 I already have.
No, he doesn't. This new ghost is not milky-white but rather translucent.

They are ordinary blue and yellow flags with black and red antennas/flagpoles.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Jojo wrote:
Athos wrote:What's new about him? He looks like one of the 20 I already have.
No, he doesn't. This new ghost is not milky-white but rather translucent.
Hmmm... did not know that. I may have to snag me one now, I wonder what he's going for on bricklink...
Jojo wrote:
They are ordinary blue and yellow flags with black and red antennas/flagpoles.

How odd...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I think this would be a valuable set for someone who doesn't have a lot of castle parts already. The idea of the new ghost, specialty rooms and the amount of figs and accessories makes it something that might help out if you are developing your collection. I can't see myself buying it unless it was less per piece. I think buying a bulk castle lot or an older castle might be a better deal. I don't mind the colours and take the "junior" parts as somewhat of a challenge - i.e. how can I actually use these and make it look good?

I will admit that I was very happy to see this come out as it made me think the Lego folks were listening to the community and realizing that some of the old sets would be great to produce again - and would be profitable - even if they didn't get it quite right this time.

Cheers,
Bert.
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

also, the ghost is has white legs as well as a white torso, so he's pretty much just a regular all-white minifig with a black head if you take the shroud off.
79% of Classic Castle hates KK2. If you're one of the 20% that loves it, paste this into your sig. Started by Danju.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I found this set really exciting as it is a good jump-point from the Royal Knights castle, KK1 & 2 sets and into the 2007 assortment. It's not how I would MOC it, but it's very good compared to Dragon Masters and up to 2000. Definitely a fun set. The only drawbacks for me are the bleys and stickers.

7/10

-Aaron-
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

When I look at this set, I see King Leo's castle re-made with bley and the new KK2 blue. However, it does have a lot of good pieces, including the black printed walls, and a dog. The new ghost is also pretty awesome, although I actually like the old colored ones better. The final plus for me is the blacksmith. Overall, I like it, but not enough to buy it.

6/10

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Evaluating it in its time. . this was a very good set. It was a HUGE step up from the KK2 main good-guy castle, which was a pitiful hodgepodge of pillars and nothing else. In that regard, this set really shines because at least it looked kinda like a Castle and not just a room on top of a few pillars.

Also in comparison to the sets available at the time, this one has WAY better minifigs, and a far superior minifig count.

Compared to the entire Castle line? Really falls flat on its face. Now, the minifig count is still great, and the minifigs are good, but not great. I like raised baseplates. Always have. Although this one seems too brightly coloured for my tastes. What really bothers me is that the FRONT of the Castle is practically wide open. The walls don't even connect to the freakin' gate! What use is there in even having walls?

I don't mind when a castle isn't complete. I can admit that from a play standpoint, it's sometimes preferrable, for instance, to have a Castle with no rear wall, so you can sit behind it and be the King, or whatever it is we did when we were kids. I'm not saying it's better than a fully-enclosed Castle, but it's acceptable.

What isn't acceptable is when the front of the Castle has gaping holes that any enemy could walk right through.

So, this set has its ups and downs, and a lot of both. But in the end I didn't think it was worth the purchase, especially not for over 100 dollars. If I'm going to spend that kind of scratch, I'll get a better set like 6081.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

Yet another set I don't own. Thus...I don't feel I have the right to reveiw it. However, as somebody who DOESN'T own it, I must say. I wouldn't say it's the most attractive or realistic castle in the world, but as far as the peices go, I'd warmly welcome them into my collection even the BIG UGLY ones. :3
TrishoHara
Villein

Post by TrishoHara »

I think it looks good, but not 120 Euro worth. Especially when you can get 6090 for less than 50 Euro by Ebay.
~ Andi
•[url=http://flickr.com/photos/hansolo401/]Flickr[/url]•
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

I won one of these at BrickFest! I got my raffle ticket and won, I never win. Guess I can't say that now. I wouldn't have bought this set, not that its a bad set, but it's too much like the first KK castle. To be honest, I didn't even know this set existed until I won it. The new ghost is interesting, I got a "Scabbers" HP rat, and gold euro armor. Fairly pedestrian set other than that. Of course, free is a very good price.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Lawkeeper
Peasant

Post by Lawkeeper »

I got this castle when it was 50% off, and I like it a lot. At least I can build something useful out of my Castle of Morcia now, because I have a replacement that´s much better IMO!