BrickWorld Castle Contest - Hut Obliteration

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

BrickWorld Castle Contest - Hut Obliteration

Post by Crazylegoman »

I’m happy to announce the first Castle-themed contest for BrickWorld:

The Hut Obliteration Contest

The objective is simple; build some kind of monster(s) and build some kind of medieval era “hut” that they’re destroying.

Why a hut? Why not a castle or tower or something filled with knights?

Castles and other fortified medieval LEGO structures have had more than their fair share of monster attacks over the years. The “hut” part of the entry can be any civilian building. You can choose a house, an inn, a livery, a windmill or any building that’s non-military in nature. The idea behind this is to have a scene where the hapless people in and around the hut are caught completely off guard. Instead of defending their place, like knights, warriors and such would do, they flee for their lives in a every-man-for-himself panic.

The contest has the same basic rules that you’d expect from other LEGO building contests:

• Use only LEGO brand pieces
• You can enter more than 1 MOC, but you can only win 1 prize
• No size limit. You can have a goblin prying apart an outhouse or a slew of hydras smashing the village mayor’s mansion.
• You and your MOC have to be present at BrickWorld to be entered

We’ll have a panel of judges to decide the winners. Each entry will be awarded points--half from the hut and half from the monster(s). Here’s what the judges will be looking for in both the hut and the monster:

Originality - Is it something you created? A team of ogres that no one has ever seen before would score high. A blue version of the Nidhogg Dragon from set 7017 would not. Newness also plays a role here.
Building style - Did you use window pieces for windows, or did you use a fancy SNOT technique? Clever/artistic use of pieces make for more interesting huts and monsters.
Overall Appearance - Does your entry cry out “catastrophic nightmare” and bring a sense of impending doom to the unprepared minifigs? This is where we judge the scene as a whole.

Things judges will be looking for in the Hut half:
True to the time period - Is the building something that fits into the Castle time frame? Something fantasy, like a floating castle, is fine, but something modern, like a fire station, would lose points.
Degree of Obliteration - This is where you need to find the happy medium. You may have a great looking little cottage, but if a griffin has only pecked away 1 brick from the chimney, it’s not really obliterated. At the other extreme, a black baseplate with some flames sticking out of it where there supposedly used to be a stable, would be too far gone to count for much. Make sure that there’s enough of the building that we can tell what it’s supposed to be, yet enough damage that it can easily be seen that the monster is obliterating it.

Things judges will be looking for in the Monster half:
Ferocity - Is your monster an elephant that accidentally stepped on Clyde’s Candle Shop, or is it a winged demon hellbent on smashing everything it sees? We’re looking for the latter.
Positioning - This is how your monster(s) is/are physically interacting with the Hut. A monster that’s actively tearing down a wall will score higher than a monster that’s just standing beside a building with a hole in it.

There will be prizes, but they will be announced at a later date.

To enter the contest, bring your entry to BrickWorld and tag it with your name.

Info added to Classic-Castle post that wasn't in LUGNET post:
If anyone who is a registered attendee of Brickworld would like to help judge, PM me. If you get picked to be a judge, however, you can't be eligible to win a prize for this contest.

Good luck to everyone!

David Gregory
BrickWorld Castle Coordinator
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

That is a odd contest, but also unqie.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

My do we have a lot of contests going lately...

Sounds interesting. I may have to give this a shot, even though I can't enter, since I won't be at brickworld... :cry:

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Hmm, I'd love to enter officially, but CHicago is a bit out of my financial reach.

Very cool contest. I might just make an "entry" for the kick.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Really cool idea for a contest.... unfortunately it´s on the wrong side of the pond... ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Maedhros wrote:Really cool idea for a contest.... unfortunately it´s on the wrong side of the pond... ;)
Wrong side of the world for me :lol: Pitty there isn't an online component, sounds like a very challenging idea for a comp, can't wait to see the results
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

DARKspawn wrote:can't wait to see the results
I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and post them. :D

David
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

I forgot to mention a couple of bits of info about the Hut Obliteration Contest that I've had some questions on:

You can photograph your contest entry and post pictures of it online before BrickWorld. Some contests state that your creation has to be something that's never been posted, etc. etc. For this contest feel free to post whatever you want about it beforehand.

Also you can put your entry in either the collaborative Castle display, or you can set it up by itself on your MOC table. Whichever way you want to place it will not affect the judging, as the judging will focus on only the entry itself and not other people's stuff around it.

Thanks!

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
The_Vanquished
Artisan

Post by The_Vanquished »

Maybe I will head to BrickWorld someday. But for now, I'll wait until people put pictures on Brickshelf. Even if I don't have a chance at the contest, (from lack of bricks, and location) it will give me something to build.
wrap me in a bolt of lightning,
send me on my way still smiling,
maybe that's the way i should go:
straight into the mouth of the unknown....
armothe
Apprentice

Post by armothe »

I think this is a great idea for a contest and plan to enter at BW. Hope to see a lot of entries!

-A