Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

The C-C Create a Theme Contest -NEW PRIZE-

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations

Postby SavaTheAggie » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:01 am

BuilderQ wrote:Clone brands are disallowed, I'll guess?
Does the theme have to be minifig-scale?


Yes, clone-brands are out.

Non-minifig scale... never considered it...

What the heck... go for it. Just remember it'll probably effect playability, which may or may not count against you.

--Tony
Image

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
User avatar
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
 
Posts: 3060
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:36 am
Location: Houston

Re: The C-C Create a Theme Contest

Postby Prince Imdol » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:34 am

SavaTheAggie wrote:***Submit entries by replying to the forthcoming entries post. Please only post one picture in this thread and link to your offsite gallery of other images.***

[/i]


When will this be coming. I have already finished four MOC's and am working on my fifth one.

Also, Dan Sibley makes a good point. If there are no material prizes funded, could those ranks be a little more perminent. A month does not give much insentive to win.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
User avatar
Prince Imdol
Master
 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:11 am
Location: Massachusetts

Postby footsteps » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:18 am

Thank you, Sir Sava of the Aggie.

For months I've been stuck in the shadowlands (arrow slits notwithstanding), but your contest has kickstarted me.

I've got my theme, and I've got the basics of five sets mapped out in my head.

Today (a holiday this side of the border), I've managed to construct most of the largest in the theme! (plus two minor construction projects around the real-world house -- wow, productivity!!).

Anyway, I'm having fun. Now I've got to count exactly how many pieces are in this thing.

Thanks again.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
User avatar
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:03 am
Location: Canada

Postby Remyth » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:04 pm

This sounds like a lot of fun! I hope I will be able to get five MOCs together in time... Not that it isn't a very nice time limit, I'm just low on ideas at the moment... *goes off to think*

Thanks a ton, Tony!

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

Flickr
User avatar
Remyth
Trade King
 
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:43 am
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Postby DARKspawn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:38 am

OK who else is going steadily insane from counting elements?
User avatar
DARKspawn
Lord
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:29 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Maedhros » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:52 am

DARKspawn wrote:OK who else is going steadily insane from counting elements?


Thou art not alone ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
User avatar
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: The dark forests of Sweden

Postby Hob Took » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Maedhros wrote:
DARKspawn wrote:OK who else is going steadily insane from counting elements?


Thou art not alone ;)


Ditto :twisted: . I am only working on the small - medium ones right now, so it hasn't got too bad yet.
User avatar
Hob Took
Reeve
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Deep meditation chamber

Postby footsteps » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:23 pm

DARKspawn wrote:OK who else is going steadily insane from counting elements?

Anyone else facing this situation:

I don't have exactly the elements I'd like, so I substitute. For example, instead of a 2x3 brick, I use two 1x3 bricks.

When doing the piece count, I count what I want the piece to be (one 2x3) rather than what has gone into the current construction (two 1x3s).

Is this kosher?

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
User avatar
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:03 am
Location: Canada

Postby SavaTheAggie » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:49 pm

footsteps wrote:
DARKspawn wrote:OK who else is going steadily insane from counting elements?

Anyone else facing this situation:

I don't have exactly the elements I'd like, so I substitute. For example, instead of a 2x3 brick, I use two 1x3 bricks.

When doing the piece count, I count what I want the piece to be (one 2x3) rather than what has gone into the current construction (two 1x3s).

Is this kosher?

Alan


Meh.... Probably not, but the judges will have no way of checking the actual piece count. I would say 'sure, go for it' except I'm afraid we'd get entries with walls made of nothing but 1x2s and the piece count is only 12 bricks because the builder said "Well, I didn't have any 1x16 bricks free..."

--Tony
Image

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
User avatar
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
 
Posts: 3060
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:36 am
Location: Houston

Postby footsteps » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:04 pm

SavaTheAggie wrote:
footsteps wrote:Is this kosher?

Alan


Meh.... Probably not, but the judges will have no way of checking the actual piece count. I would say 'sure, go for it' except I'm afraid we'd get entries with walls made of nothing but 1x2s and the piece count is only 12 bricks because the builder said "Well, I didn't have any 1x16 bricks free..."

--Tony

I see your point, though I'm only thinking about a few bricks here and there. On my biggest set ($50 range) I'm looking at a count variance of about 2%. I don't think my smaller sets will have much of an issue with this.

Alan

PS I assume a horse (without saddle or fillers) is considered one piece. At least, I hope it is. :wink:
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
User avatar
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:03 am
Location: Canada

Postby SavaTheAggie » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:12 pm

footsteps wrote:PS I assume a horse (without saddle or fillers) is considered one piece. At least, I hope it is. :wink:


You assume correctly (NO HERDS OF HORSES, FOLKS).

--Tony
Image

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
User avatar
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
 
Posts: 3060
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:36 am
Location: Houston

Postby footsteps » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:34 am

Well, this is getting interesting. Originally I thought I'd be trying to "pad out" my ideas to get to the piece-count points. Instead, I'm facing the challenge of going too far over for each set size. Time for a re-think... hmmm....

Alan

PS A most fascinating contest.
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
User avatar
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:03 am
Location: Canada

Postby SavaTheAggie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:48 pm

I made up the contest just because I thought it was a neat idea. However, I hope a side effect that comes from it is a new appreciation of what LEGO designers must go through in order to create a new set for the open market (and they have much tighter reigns on their creativity!).

--Tony
Image

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
User avatar
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
 
Posts: 3060
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:36 am
Location: Houston

Postby E of Alshire » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:02 pm

SavaTheAggie wrote:However, I hope a side effect that comes from it is a new appreciation of what LEGO designers must go through in order to create a new set for the open market (and they have much tighter reigns on their creativity!).


Consider also that while as fans we have the luxury of old parts via Bricklink; model designers are working (mostly) from pallettes of parts produced currently, and in current colors too!
Image
User avatar
E of Alshire
Merchant
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:10 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Postby DARKspawn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:19 am

Agreed, this has been on my mind from the moment I started counting elements :lol:
User avatar
DARKspawn
Lord
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:29 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Castle MOCs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FanLego and 3 guests