Colossal Castle Contest V

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
boses
Man-At-Arms

Post by boses »

Is a better picture of the prize for the "Castle Spaces" category available?
"Life is a blooming miracle, all wrapped in a package of light, and the hands of God are ever strong for doing what He might..."
---brickshelf---

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=boses
boses
Man-At-Arms

Post by boses »

I had trouble with the 3rd pic in my Misc. entry "Black Dragon" half of the frame got screwed up. I fixed the picture, but now the folder is not public...how will this affect my entry?Should I re-submit the Black Dragon?The moc itself has not changed, and I did not alter the folder in any way.

EDIT---

The folder is public again, and the links are still the same. There should be no problem with the entry.Thank you for bearing with me while the problem was corrected.
"Life is a blooming miracle, all wrapped in a package of light, and the hands of God are ever strong for doing what He might..."
---brickshelf---

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=boses
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

I have a question about the Historic Event category.
Does it have to be a globally known event? There are so many historic events in Europe that I could build, but I'm afraid it'll be a problem if many people don't know about the event.
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

stuifzand wrote:I have a question about the Historic Event category.
Does it have to be a globally known event? There are so many historic events in Europe that I could build, but I'm afraid it'll be a problem if many people don't know about the event.
I'm pretty sure if it has some type of "Backup" documentary available on the net it will be allowed,like my "Battle for Stirling Bridge" probably not known or famous to many but still info about it on the net.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Thorgrim Olafson
Villein

Post by Thorgrim Olafson »

I have a question for medeival legends, I am doing a King Arthur scene that would work best with two seperate mocs, would this be okay for one entry, or would I have to enter two different entries?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

boses wrote:Does LOTR qualify as "medieval journey"?
No.
i know cloth is allowed for capes or sails and custom stickers are allowed in a couple categories, but is yarn (or string) that isn't lego allowed?
The admins are discussing this. Non-LEGO string likely will be allowed.
Can an entry be the effort of a pair or group, or does it have to be only one person working on an entry?
Yes. But if two people work together and win a category, they will have to share the prize. You would not be eligible for the master builder prize.
Are fantasy elements allowed in the castle spaces category?
What type of fantasy elements? Could you please elaborate?
Is a better picture of the prize for the "Castle Spaces" category available?
We do not have an updated picture at this time.
I have a question about the Historic Event category.
It should at least be a nationally known event. Please include a written description in your entry to inform us of the event. Thanks.
I have a question for medeival legends, I am doing a King Arthur scene that would work best with two seperate mocs, would this be okay for one entry, or would I have to enter two different entries?
You are allowed two different entries for each category. You could build two Arthur mocs for Medieval Legends, but they should be different parts of the Arthurian saga (ie: finding excalibur and the bewitching of Merlin).

Ben
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Hi admins :)

I have a couple of questions...

Are fantasy themed creations allowed for the "Medieval Journey" catagory? I was thinking specifically of using a fantasy creature for a mount.

I was considering making a diorama of a Cathedral coronation for the "Castle Spaces" catagory, but I am worried that it might clash with "Festivals & Celebrations" due to the minifig action. I also plan to make an entry to the later catagory as well & don't want them to double up in the same catagory if possible.

Thanks for your time :)
MrTS
Lord

Post by MrTS »

Are fantasy elements allowed in the castle spaces category?

What type of fantasy elements? Could you please elaborate?
Is magic, magical stuff, wizards, ghosts....etc allowed?
You want a piece of me?!?!

My Brickshelf gallery:[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrTS]here[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

DARKspawn wrote:Are fantasy themed creations allowed for the "Medieval Journey" catagory? I was thinking specifically of using a fantasy creature for a mount.
The admins will have to discuss this. Fantasy creatures would be better in Medieval Legends and miscellaneous.
I was considering making a diorama of a Cathedral coronation for the "Castle Spaces" catagory, but I am worried that it might clash with "Festivals & Celebrations" due to the minifig action.
Most cathedrals were not located inside a Castle. Castle spaces should be in or adjacent to a castle. The festivals/celebrations category would be more appropriate for your moc.
Is magic, magical stuff, wizards, ghosts....etc allowed?
Yes. You can have wizards and ghosts in your castle rooms.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but 11 pages is a bit much to wade through. I'm a bit unclear on the spaces category. Does the creation have to fully enclosed (a wall around the entire creation)? This is what I thought by the requirement that "You are required to have one or more walls along the perimeter of each space." Photographing that would be a nightmare and it seems that the entries don't have such walls.

So... are three walls enough?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Black Ranger
Bailiff

Post by Black Ranger »

I have a question: for the Misc. category: can it be from your own stuff? e.g. Wander's Quest (my book) with small (about 10 x 15 to 32x 32) sized plates? Or must it be something semi-lendgend, just checking! Oh yeah: How far in "the future" are we allowed? Joan's Trial? 1600s? 1700s? Thank you very much!

- Black Ranger
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

architect wrote:Most cathedrals were not located inside a Castle. Castle spaces should be in or adjacent to a castle. The festivals/celebrations category would be more appropriate for your moc.
Thankyou for your quick response :)

If I make it a Gothic styled throne room (inside a Dojon with a connecting room on a 48x48 base ;)) with a similar scenario (ie coronation), would that be allowable? I am simply intent on adding a minifig scene to a castle space & am concerned about clashing entries.

Thanks again for your patience, Ben
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

In regards to the size limit: My farm entry has a bunch of trees on one side of it. However, a few of the upper branches extend 1 or 2 studs over the base. Would this be acceptable?

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

I have a question: Is an event from your own universe acceptable for Medieval Legends, if we provide a reasonable backstory? I would submit some things from the History of Terra, but I'm asking first.
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

kelderic wrote:In regards to the size limit: My farm entry has a bunch of trees on one side of it. However, a few of the upper branches extend 1 or 2 studs over the base. Would this be acceptable?

Kelderic
This has been answered before and i believe the judges deemed it permissable (same question too about tree branches hanging a couple of studs over the ends.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain