Update: 2008 Battles Contest (Winners Announced on page 11!)

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

I loved this contest in '06 and I really missed it last year... :cry:

But this year is gonna be awesome thanks for hosting this again! And those prizes are amazing! :D
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Wow, amazing prizes. Many thanks to whoever donated them; what a nice gesture. Good luck to everyone entering.
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

HAHA! At last! Many praises to you Josh. Cheers to another year of BC.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
Black Ranger
Bailiff

Post by Black Ranger »

Wow... Please tell the contributers many thanks. You are awsome Josh. And one question: Is their a maxium soze to our battlefiled? Or is it how many pieces ya got? Thanks,

- The Black Ranger.

P.S. Is a little buid up story allowed? Like: Factions, Area?
lego fanatic
Peasant

Post by lego fanatic »

Hello i just have one question the entry i am planning to build will require minifigs to be in the air and i have a very small collection of clear pieces so would i be aloud to use thread in my entry?

Thanks
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

I may participate again.
Giorgio Chronas
Villein

wow

Post by Giorgio Chronas »

I am still busy dismantling the mocs from CCCV and now this! Uff, besides I am very bad in building battle scenes, but the I may try my best shot, even if I have no idea what to build :(
Tell the donator many many many many thanks for the prizes!
Giorgio
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

I'll probably enter, if extreme gore is alright... :twisted:
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

Shadowviking wrote:I'll probably enter, if extreme gore is alright... :twisted:
Hey remember there are some 13 year olds here. :) I have been working on a castle for a while now, it should be fun to create an cool battle scene with lots of cool fig action. Thanks for the contest Josh.

Hob Took

Edit: Yeah, my 200th post.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Oh please, the more gore the better. Have you forgotten that this is lego. I mean, gore is pretty hard to do.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

I don't know if it's hard or not but some people seem to have got a few techniques down like in this creation. I don't want this to turn into a debate about LEGO gore though so someone change the subject.

-Hob Took
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Question: Are we aloud to do historical battles in this?

P.I
Thomas C.

JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

SavaTheAggie wrote:You know, Josh, I've entered so few contests here at C-C, I may just have to fix that this year.
--Tony
I would love to see you enter!
Donut wrote:Thanks for hosting this contest and thanks to the benefactor who generously donated these wonderful prizes. Now, it is time to brainstorm an idea...
You are very welcome and I have let the benefactor know how much you all appreciate the prizes.
Prince Imdol wrote:If Sava enters, we're finished. Jk. Hope you enter Tony!
Question: Can we make a separate gallery that shows the progression of the battle for others to view?
Also: Is Flickr ok?
Please reread the Sticky on Contest Courtesy. Complaining when high-profile builders enter is one of my major pet-peeves. It doesn't matter if you write "JK" afterwards or not. I believe it creates a hostile environment.

As for seperate galleries and using Flickr. I could care less where you host your pics or what you have in other galleries. As long as the pics you submit follow the rules...I am happy.
wunztwice wrote:Thanks so much for hosting this again Josh!!! Now only if I have time...
Oh dumb senior project... :cry:
Chris, its my pleasure and I'm glad you're excited! :) Can't you work a Lego battle scene into your senior project? I'm sure it would stand out!
babyjawa wrote:OMG, the prizes are amazing!
Thank you!
Elephant Knight wrote:Question, Is there a size restiction?
The only restriction is how many pieces and figs you have. But remember, "big" doesn't equal "best".
Spongey wrote:Wow. These are awesome prizes. Thanks for holding this again, Josh, and please pass on a big CC thank you to the generous benefactor. Now, off to plot...
Thank you and I have passed on that big thank you! In fact, I also sent them the link to the contest, so that they can follow along, if they so choose.
Athos wrote:Nice prizes!
Thanks, Steve!
Jansen wrote:I loved this contest in '06 and I really missed it last year... :cry: But this year is gonna be awesome thanks for hosting this again! And those prizes are amazing! :D
Thank you for your kind thoughts. Its nice to know that people look forward to it! :)
Sir Kohran wrote:Wow, amazing prizes. Many thanks to whoever donated them; what a nice gesture. Good luck to everyone entering.
Thanks, Matt!
The dark tide wrote:HAHA! At last! Many praises to you Josh. Cheers to another year of BC.
Thank you! For some reason, "another year of BC" cracked me up... :D
Black Ranger wrote:And one question: Is their a maxium soze to our battlefiled? Or is it how many pieces ya got? Thanks,

P.S. Is a little buid up story allowed? Like: Factions, Area?
No maximum size limit. Also backstories are highly encouraged. Don't make it a novel, but I do like backstories. One paragraph or so and I'll probably take the time to read it.... ;)
lego fanatic wrote:Hello i just have one question the entry i am planning to build will require minifigs to be in the air and i have a very small collection of clear pieces so would i be aloud to use thread in my entry?
I will make an exception and allow string for suspension purposes. It doesn't even have to be official Lego string! (See...I'm easy! ;))
Peppermint Pig wrote:I may participate again.
That would be awesome.
Giorgio Chronas wrote:I am still busy dismantling the mocs from CCCV and now this! Uff, besides I am very bad in building battle scenes, but the I may try my best shot, even if I have no idea what to build :(
Tell the donator many many many many thanks for the prizes!
I totally understand. I still have some stuff "built" (its been quarried for pieces) from Brickfest '07. Don't worry about "being bad" at Battles. That is what contest are for. They encourage us to broaden our horizons...
Shadowviking wrote:I'll probably enter, if extreme gore is alright... :twisted:
Gore is not disallowed. However, I am not a fan of gore for gore sake. It needs to make your creation better. If I feel that the battle is merely a vehicle for Lego gore, your battle will not be scored well.
Hob Took wrote:I have been working on a castle for a while now, it should be fun to create an cool battle scene with lots of cool fig action. Thanks for the contest Josh.
You're welcome and I would love to see a scene like you describe. In the past, there have only been a handful of entries that included a whole castle.
Prince Imdol wrote:Question: Are we aloud to do historical battles in this?
Okay, I'm really sorry to have to harp on this, but I want to nip it in the bud. Reread the rules several times, please. Then please reread the courtesy sticky carefully. Pay close attention to the 1st paragraph. Read it several times. I wrote most of it and it is a subject that I feel strongly about. I will be treating those courtesy guidelines almost like additional rules.

All that said, here is your answer. Its a Battles Contest. The rules state that medieval battles are what you are supposed to build. So, naturally, historical battles are allowed.

Thank you,
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Hi Josh.

I did not see anywhere in the rules or guideline a section dealing with historical battles. The reason I asked is because in many other contests that are hosted at Classic-Castle, do not allow entries to be based off a historical event. I have read and re-read your post regarding rules and regulations on contests.

If you have a chance, PM me about this. I Apple-F'd the first page to see if I could find anything having to do with Historical battle, and found nothing.

P.I
Last edited by Prince Imdol on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas C.

Lord Felix
Landlord

Post by Lord Felix »

Oh wow... Those prizes are amazing. I would be tempted to open it if I had any of the winners.

Well I have an idea for a battle, so I'm going to do it!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dandin]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8499398@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/candlemusic]My Band: Candle[/url]