Colossal Castle Contest VI

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Drooooooooooooooooooooool

These are some AWSOME prizes! I am going to be so busy build these next two months, I won't have time to think about other things!

Goes to clean up the drool

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Dragonator
Goat Brigade

Post by Dragonator »

What an exciting contest this looks to be! I am certainly looking forward to participating, it sounds like a good excuse to try my hand at improving on my previous two MOCs. This should be fun! :)

Also, thanks very much to the staff here for hosting this contest, and of course to those people who donated prizes, they look great and I'm sure it will be an incentive for everyone to give this contest their very best. I better start planning! :wink:
~Dragonator
Chaotic Good
Freeman

Post by Chaotic Good »

BA prototypes, here I come! I'll give the other categories a try, too, though I have almost no bricks after my recent tavern build.

This looks set to be one of the best contests ever.
raidersofdays
Villein

Post by raidersofdays »

Sounds great. Especially with this new builder Dragonator, his stuff is very impressive.
Too much Lego, is never enough.
SlyOwl
Apprentice

Post by SlyOwl »

The big one! :D

I've been building up to this since last year (both brick-wise and idea-wise) - and now the categories don't fit any of my ideas :roll: Oh well, I'll have to change tack :D

Luckily I've set aside the rest of the year (bar the next week) for this!

A few questions regarding the rules:
-Can we digitally edit out supports (that would be trans-clear otherwise)?
-Is overlap over the baseplate allowed? If so, how much?
-Regarding the Tapestry category, what exactly does this mean? Can it be a series of minifigs put in front of a wall (crude example), or does it mean a larger scale, with the scenes made out of plates/tiles, much like a mosaic?
-Have you actually got the Medieval Market Village yet? Or is it currently "unacquired"? :lol:
Last edited by SlyOwl on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

I intend to actually ENTER this one too! I have ideas buzzing around in my head and they are all getting applied this year. First time Ive entered a CCC in the three years Ive been here
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day
medieval_total_lego
emoticon patrol

Post by medieval_total_lego »

Thanks for this contest...this year i'm going to have some entries!
:D :D :D :D
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

Let the trumpets sound as we all scurry off to our collections to hunt for gray pieces! This sounds like so much fun, thanks to all for the contest and prizes.
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

I warned you i'd be back with questions. :wink:

•Does each entry have to have its own folder/gallery? Would it be okay to put all my entries into the same gallery- each image would be labelled accordingly- or is this something you'd rather avoid?

•Regarding the contest, all categories (sans custom minifig) do we have to work at minifig scale? Can we go bigger, or smaller perhaps?

•For the Crime & Punishment entry do both aspects of this category have to be included in the same scene, or can we make something like a 'before' and 'after' set-up, essentially two mocs but with continuity/shared elements?

•Act of Chivalry, in this category are we only allowed to use one minifig knight or would it be acceptable to have something like one knight general leading his army forward-as long as this was in regards to act of chivalry theme would this be okay or frowned upon?

•Are we allowed to use SNOT for bases- assuming it fit in the dimensions specified, would this be alright or not?

•Again, bases, would something like 64x16 instead of 32x32(x2) be alright?

•Finally bases again, are we allowed stud overlap for the vignettes or has everything got to be in the 8x8 diameter?

That's all i've got, at least at the moment, but it would be great to get answers- that way I can find out if i've already made mistakes or am inelligible because i'm too keen. :)
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Once again, the CC team has outdone themselves. This is a truly great, colossal contest. The prizes are awesome; a Black Knight's Castle, and it's not even a Master Builder prize!!! I'll probably have some questions over the next few days, but for now I'm just in shock over the quality of this contest. Thanks to the admins and all who donated prizes!
Piotr
Freeman

Post by Piotr »

Hello

I have one question, whether works can contain fantastic elements (dragons, beasts)?
"Atra esterni ono thelduin."
[url=http://www.lugpol.pl][img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pitrek02/ ... member.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=pitrek02]My MOCs[/url]
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

They probably would allow fantasy styled elements, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Anyway, I have another question. If my custom fig is over-detailed, is that a bad thing? Like for example, if my decals(I may use them now.) are more detailed then a usual Lego torso, is that good or bad? Because lego has always been more simple with the decals, like no realistic textures and stuff. Just curious.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

RichardAM wrote:•Does each entry have to have its own folder/gallery?
Yes
•Regarding the contest, all categories (sans custom minifig) do we have to work at minifig scale? Can we go bigger, or smaller perhaps?
Yes. They need to be minifig scale.
•For the Crime & Punishment entry do both aspects of this category have to be included in the same scene, or can we make something like a 'before' and 'after' set-up, essentially two mocs but with continuity/shared elements?
Before, middle, and after photographs would make the most sense for this category. Alternately you could have two before pictures and one after or one before picture and two after pictures.
•Act of Chivalry, in this category are we only allowed to use one minifig knight or would it be acceptable to have something like one knight general leading his army forward-as long as this was in regards to act of chivalry theme would this be okay or frowned upon?
We are going to keep the one knight limitation so that this does not become a battles category.
•Are we allowed to use SNOT for bases- assuming it fit in the dimensions specified, would this be alright or not?
Yes.
•Again, bases, would something like 64x16 instead of 32x32(x2) be alright?
Yes. But do not try 128x8 or a crazy zig-zag design.
•Finally bases again, are we allowed stud overlap for the vignettes or has everything got to be in the 8x8 diameter?
You can have up to a two (2) stud overlap around the perimeter for vegetation, minifig parts, and minifig accessories.
Piotr wrote:I have one question, whether works can contain fantastic elements (dragons, beasts)?
If a fantasy creature such as a dragon works for your category it would be acceptable.
Garbageman13 wrote:If my custom fig is over-detailed, is that a bad thing?
Less is more except when it is just less ;). You should design figures and create mocs for yourself that you like. More detail could be ok if it is done very well.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Last edited by architect on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

I'm so sorry I have to bug you again, but can I host pics on Flickr? And can I take more then 3 pics, but just post the 3 when I send in my entry or show it off here? Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Oh and can other fantasy creatures/characters besides dragons be featured?
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
vizzini93
Serf

Post by vizzini93 »

Hey, I can't wait for this. But I have a question.

In the vignette category, can you have plates extending off of it and just have an 8x8 base, or do we need to maintain the 8x8?

Dan