Centaurs

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
SlyOwl
Apprentice

Centaurs

Post by SlyOwl »

When watching Prince Caspian, I was inspired to build a diorama, based around the battle at Aslan's How, with extra emphasis on the standing-stone elements. Once I've finished my current pirate-y project, I'll set to work on that. It should be my biggest yet - I hope to do it 48x48 (with circular corners) :tasty: Not that big for some people, but it'll definitely stretch my bricks.
The fantasy creatures were the most problematic to plan - fauns, centaurs and minotaurs being the main requirements. Fauns could be solved with 2 pirate peg-legs and Minotaurs with a mixture of Micahberger's versions, but the problem of centaurs still remained. Shinji-o, Chris Malloy and Micahberger provided good solutions, but to me the scale wasn't right in each, so I wanted to do my own.
The screwdriver-1x1 cone-gear stick base leg was the first part, based on Micahberger's version, but with a more useful connection of a bar rather than the top of a gear stick, and they came together from there. The colour pallettes Lego provides for some of the parts used are limited (the screwdrivers, triangles, clips), so painting may have to be an option (or giving them armour and working the colour scheme into that).
I'll also be working on some gryphons to carry the dwarf archers.
The dark tide
Gentleman

Re: Centaurs

Post by The dark tide »

Excellent work Slyowl. I like the scale on your much more than previous models. How do the legs hold up when playing with or moving them about? Again great work, can't wait to see the other items you will be throwing out.
"The sky grows black...shadow falls...the Dark Tide comes..."

[Edgar J.]
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Haha! Good show my friend. :D
I shall look forward to viewing the completed diorama!
Hound Knight
Artiste De Sigifigs

Post by Hound Knight »

Those are excellent centaurs! I too will look forward to the finished project. We need more Narnia MOCs. :wink:
"I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift."
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

Oh boy, Narnia MOCs! That sounds like it'll be awesome!

Those centaurs are very well done! The hoofs are especially what caught my eye! Very original!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

A battle based around Aslan's How? Well, this certainly seems like an adventurous task Sly Owl, and I cannot wait to see how it turns out for you. I am already a fan of the centaur creations (just one of quite a few interesting mythical designs), and if you end up entering the battle in any sort of contest I feel sorry for your opponents :wink: . Good luck on the development of the MOC...
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Nice take on the centaurs. They look a lot sleeker than many versions I have seen which in some ways is nice. Look forward to seeing your take on the battle. Good luck as well on that!

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Lewa Rocks
Steward

Post by Lewa Rocks »

Yay Narnia! These are some great looking Centaurs!
Nice work!
SlyOwl
Apprentice

Post by SlyOwl »

Thanks for the feedback guys :D
The dark tide wrote:How do the legs hold up when playing with or moving them about?
Pretty well. The weakest point is the clip-screwdriver connection, which is about as strong as minifig legs in the used-but-not-floppy stage :lol:
BrianofBrick06 wrote:A battle based around Aslan's How? Well, this certainly seems like an adventurous task Sly Owl, and I cannot wait to see how it turns out for you.
I'm not sure how Narnia it'll be - the Pevensies may end up confusing everything, as it would put humans on both sides. There's also the fighting trees to do - I sense some Bricklinking coming on! But I'll stick to the main ideas, and may do the White Witch thing inside the How, with the sheet of ice and the wer-wolf and the hag.
Hound Knight
Artiste De Sigifigs

Post by Hound Knight »

SlyOwl wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys :D
The dark tide wrote:How do the legs hold up when playing with or moving them about?
Pretty well. The weakest point is the clip-screwdriver connection, which is about as strong as minifig legs in the used-but-not-floppy stage :lol:
BrianofBrick06 wrote:A battle based around Aslan's How? Well, this certainly seems like an adventurous task Sly Owl, and I cannot wait to see how it turns out for you.
I'm not sure how Narnia it'll be - the Pevensies may end up confusing everything, as it would put humans on both sides. There's also the fighting trees to do - I sense some Bricklinking coming on! But I'll stick to the main ideas, and may do the White Witch thing inside the How, with the sheet of ice and the wer-wolf and the hag.
Sounds cool, I can't wait! :D
"I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift."
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

SlyOwl wrote:Image
I love those legs. I'll have to try that on my horses.

Here are my centaurs, based on my horse design.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
man at ye old well
Foot Soldier

Post by man at ye old well »

I love these centaurs, good job. It would be interesting if you you made a horse head and created a full horse. Well, anyways, I really like it. Oh, and I love your horses and centaurs too Alan.

,Old Weller
Drop the LEGO and nobody gets hurt!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ye-old-well]My Brickshelf[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/125743370@N02/]My Flickr[/url]
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

SlyOwl wrote:Image
Okay, how did you do those legs???????? I just pulled out my Lego and tried to re-create them, and I can't! Come on, fess up!!!!! I want those legs!!!!!!

Alan
man at ye old well
Foot Soldier

Post by man at ye old well »

Here you go Alan,

One of these, one of these, one of these and one of these.

You put the screwdriver (handle up) into the 1x1 cone and attach the lever base into the screwdriver bit at the bottom of the cone. Then you attach the exposed handle to the 1x1 clip and there you go. One horse leg.

(if you want to explain better, or show images, go right ahead SlyOwl)

,Old Weller
Drop the LEGO and nobody gets hurt!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ye-old-well]My Brickshelf[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/125743370@N02/]My Flickr[/url]
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

man at ye old well wrote:one of these
That's what I like about Lego, and about this site. What a great "outside the box" solution! Never would've occurred to me to use the screwdriver. Excellent!

Thanks.

Alan