Cathedral of St. Francis of Assisi

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
nanuck95
Court jester

Re: Cathedral of St. Francis of Assisi

Post by nanuck95 »

Looks awesome Tony! I've enjoyed seeing all the pictures and progress you've been posting. The finished product is amazing, I think my favorite part is the stained glass windows, they really stand out. Thanks for sharing it with us!
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Thanks much, all!
Bruce N H wrote:Hey Tony,

This is gorgeous! I've really enjoyed watching the progress and now to see the final is even better. Is this, or at least a segment, going to BrickWorld? If so, we simply have to arrange a CC sigfig photoshoot inside this. I'm so honored that my sf has a prominent seat inside.

Bruce
Alas, I won't be making it to Brickworld this year, after all. I just don't have the money, and I don't think I could raise enough through my Bricklink shop. However, had I been able to go, I would have brought the whole thing.

It's the only place fitting of little Bruce, I think.
Gumby wrote:It's such a treat to not only see the finished product, but to witness the planning/progress throughout the build as well. Your Castle creations have really matured over the years, Tony (and your train MOCs just started off amazing). :)
I think my time in trains has really given me a new perspective in building. Had it not been for that, I don't think I ever could have built this.
Robin Hood wrote:Considering the location of the photoshoot, I imagine you got a few compliments on it.

Solid job Sava, solid job. Complete attention to detail on all of it, and some great detail too. Love the windows and every aspect of the interior. My favorite thing about it all is that while it is a stunning build, it is also a build I can relate to. I can look at that and say "I could do something like that someday", some MOCs are great, but truly beyond my ability to comprehend, this one though rests just beautifully where I can enjoy it. Great work!

Dan :wink:
You would have thought so, but actually no one approached me. In fact, the few people that were there that friday morning kept their distance. LEGO is scary, I guess. Or I am.

I started the build with the intention of not going overboard. Sometimes builders put too much emphasis on the details, and the greater MOC gets lost in translation or the sea of detailed bits.
Elbadar wrote:Beautiful! You know maybe its just me but you seem to build best when your using real buildings as your inspiration. This has inspired me to my very core, I'm rebuilding my castle's church. Only critique is the light bley is mostly alone without any other colors being integrated, but a very minor critique none the less. Great Job :D !
It's actually a mix of old and new light grey. Most churches of this style, the two inspiration cathedrals included, have very little in the way of color variation in the stone used in their construction. Typically all contrast comes from the detail work and the textures given to the features.
Blego7 wrote:Oh gosh this is amazing. I would like to see it on MOCpages though. (understanding time restrictions) :shock:
In due time, my friend.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:Considering the location of the photoshoot, I imagine you got a few compliments on it.

Solid job Sava, solid job. Complete attention to detail on all of it, and some great detail too. Love the windows and every aspect of the interior. My favorite thing about it all is that while it is a stunning build, it is also a build I can relate to. I can look at that and say "I could do something like that someday", some MOCs are great, but truly beyond my ability to comprehend, this one though rests just beautifully where I can enjoy it. Great work!

You would have thought so, but actually no one approached me. In fact, the few people that were there that friday morning kept their distance. LEGO is scary, I guess. Or I am.
You are a very dark and foreboding figure. I think it's the helmet. Maybe keep the visor up more often when out on the streets of Houston.

I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
KarenJ
Foot Soldier

Re:

Post by KarenJ »

I really like this! It's a lot like St Pats, only on steroids with the flying buttresses. I've never been to Chartres but have been to St Pats many times, and I can tell you that you've really captured its magnificence. Capture is not the right word, I know. Can't find the right word.
My favorite thing about it all is that while it is a stunning build, it is also a build I can relate to. I can look at that and say "I could do something like that someday", some MOCs are great, but truly beyond my ability to comprehend, this one though rests just beautifully where I can enjoy it. Great work!

SavaTheAggie wrote:I started the build with the intention of not going overboard. Sometimes builders put too much emphasis on the details, and the greater MOC gets lost in translation or the sea of detailed bits.
Well said. Sometimes I see MOCs on the net and my head feels like it's going to explode. Your cathedral is both awesome and refreshing.

Edit: I think the ultra high complexity of some MOCs may be because of excessive "Greebling"... or, the application of too much "Greeble".
Karen

Left dark ages Jan '07
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

(In reference to your reply to my earlier post) True, and it does make the architectural details stand out more, but I'm left to wonder if thats truly the norm of medieval cathedrals, what with St. Patricks being a bit more recent. On the other hand I think I like the single tone color better for this style and this size of cathedral, so consider me swayed :)
Back to the front!
Blego7
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Blego7 »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
Blego7 wrote:Oh gosh this is amazing. I would like to see it on MOCpages though. (understanding time restrictions) :shock:
In due time, my friend.

--Tony
Hahahaha thanks. What a build. This should be displayed every where you can! God bless,
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Wow, wow, and wow!!! Tony this is amazing! The stained glass, the organ, the general look and design... it is great. Some major preparation has paid off with a great creation. I was hoping for a medieval group of residents but it was interesting those you placed in it regardless.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Napoleon
Archer

Post by Napoleon »

I feel like I could kick myself for forgetting to comment! Please forgive me.

Ahem: Great job! Definately one of your best creations ever, if not THE best. It is so detailed! It is a...miracle :wink: that you managed to build it so well, even for you. How many hours did you take all together? How many bricks? AND, are you planning another project any time soon?
"There are two powers in this world, the sword and the pen; and in the end the former is always conquered by the latter"- Napoleon Bonaparte

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/Teen_LEGO_Fans/index.php?]TeenLEGOFans.com![/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/55680977@N04/]My Flickr![/url]