Neuschwanstein

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Re: Neuschwanstein

Post by Blueandwhite »

DNL wrote:I think Carney's lego version actually looks better than the real castle, maybe because it looks more realistic than the real castle which has a kind of fake look to it.
Perhaps that's because Neuschwanstein looks suscpisioulsy like a toy. Carney's castle is a toy which for some reason seems more natural for a castle as over-the-top as Neuschwanstein.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
pijani
Artisan

Post by pijani »

Like someone sad, amazing as usual

From the beginning I was trying to become master builder and to make my MOC such, that they leave you speechless when you see it.

I've never, succeeded in this, yet, Bob's castles do it to me every time :)

Edit:his castles are not modular (I think). How does he transports them? Mine castle is heavy like black dirt from ground :)
Nicker
Peasant

Post by Nicker »

A very inspiring Lego model! This one even looks more appealing than the real one.
Classic castle fan to the core!
My Blog http://nicksbricks.blogspot.com/

My collection http://www.brickset.com/search/?owned=1
Teddy
Villein

Post by Teddy »

That castle is simply stunning work!
As DNL I am not much of a fan of the original castle. As it was mainly constructed as a theatrical fake/facade castle.
Although it still sits pretty on top of that mountain. But as a fan of Lego I really appreciate and am impressed by what Bob has build! :)
DNL wrote:I have been following his work in progress pictures of this MOC for a while now, and the result is very impressive. A lot of people seem to like Neuschwanstein a lot, but i have actually never really liked it that much. Something about the architecture doesn't look right, and while some parts do look nice, other parts like the large building looks kind of wrong. I think Carney's lego version actually looks better than the real castle, maybe because it looks more realistic than the real castle which has a kind of fake look to it.
Personally, I like Carney's version better than the original too.
Here goes my theory into why:
The original uses a lot more colors than Bob does. There are quite a lot of tan trimmings in the original that Bob made either white or grey. Also, some of the green roofs are made black by Bob. This gives it a less "flashy" color scheme than the original. In my opinion, this makes Bob's creation look more like a real castle, than the original does. Just my two cents.
Kind regards,

Teddy
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

To Pijani... This creation breaks into 3 pieces. Dr. Carney moved it to Brickworld in a borrowed cargo van. He and Mrs. Carney talked about his fears when he would hit a bump and hear pieces moving around. He did manage to get it to the event with no real damage. Yes the creation is heavy but the two of them seemed to handle the set up and takedown with no problems.

I am so happy that the Carneys have attended the last 2 Brickworld events. Dr. Bob and his wife are really nice people. IMHO Brickworld is more about meeting and talking with other AFOLs than it is about the displays. Dr. and Mrs. Carney are a big part of what makes this event as great as it is.

Neuschwanstein truly is massive in scale. The room he displayed the castle in has 15,000 square feet of display space. Yet this creation really stood out no matter where you were standing in the room. The amount of white brick is absolutely amazing. Certainly a lot of it is old white was used as there were a lot of yellowing of the bricks. It made for a great random bricky feeling to the creation.

Neuschwanstein is much more detailed than past Carney creations. Mostly because the real Neuschwanstein is more detailed than most castles. Obviously more due to the period it was built in than any other reason. I've always liked Dr. Carney's castles becasue they are so true to the originals. Often that means large ugly plain walls with very few details to them. But when you look at the pictures of the originals they look just as plain. He seems to always keep it real.

Being nominated at Brickworld is a great honor. With almost a thousand attendees, there are so many great creations at the event. Great work Dr. Bob and thanks for bringing it to Chicago! I hope to see you again next year with or without a new creation.
sweMezza
Gong Farmer

Post by sweMezza »

Simply amazing. One of my dreams is building Neuschwanstein myself (visited it a couple of years ago, would love to go back and see it in the winter as well).

I must admit that I never have heard of Mr. Carney, my misstake! He's my new idol and inspiration. I will erect a shrine (in LEGO in one of my MOCs of course) honouring his name!

Jokes aside, what an effort put into this castle as well as the rest. And the continuity. I'm overwhelmed and stuck at yet another website (instead of building).

The model of Neuschwanstein in LEGOLand Billund is acctually one of my favourites in the whole park. Got way too many photos of it.

LEGO's own castle range isn't as enjoyable after seeing all these great castles.

Great work indeed!

Edit: And oh, this acctually brought me from just lurking around the forum and finally post something! :twitch:
I Scream Clone
Peasant

Post by I Scream Clone »

This was just amazing to see in real brick at Brickworld, the sheer size and effort required to build and transport this is astounding. A well done to Bob Carney.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Outside of the MOCs themselves, when I look at Bob's creations I suffer some serious table envy. I'm probably a couple of years away from being able to buy a house with an unfinished basement.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

absolutely stunning - must have taken forever

the sheer scale is staggering and then when you look at the details - oh my god!