Castle Peregrine grows

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
cnelson
Laborer

Castle Peregrine grows

Post by cnelson »

Hi all--

I've expanded Castle Peregrine some more...

All castle modules:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4906

Curtain wall & corner tower:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4939

And, what I like the best in this update, the stable:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4940

Let me know what you think!

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Carl,

I think I need to know where you live :P .

Anyway - I love Castle Peregrine! Very nice!
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Castle Peregrine grows

Post by footsteps »

cnelson wrote:And, what I like the best in this update, the stable:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4940
Let me know what you think!
Carl
That stable is too beautiful for the likes of horses!! That should be a manor house or some such. The colours, the roof lines, the windows... everything is excellent! And you go and stick horses in it :wink:

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Very cool. I love all the detail in the walls, awesome work! :D
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

Thanks guys!

Alan, it's good to be the king, and it's pretty good to be the king's horses too.

I'm starting to think of the design for the keep, and the royal residence within should put the horses in their place.

I think the castle has really taken on a Germanic/Teutonic look, when it started off very British Isles-y. I may cap the towers a la the area over the Tudor brick in BFF to see how that changes its character... that means I need to scare up more gray tiles. Sheesh.

Re: the roof line, I tried mitering the top roof when I first built it, but it looked like a medieval Pizza Hut. I shoulda taken a picture just for fun! ;-)

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Mmmm... Pizza...

Back on topic, the additons look great. I think the stables looks good for the King's horses. Typically horses were considered more valuable than people back in the middle ages, so the horses favored by the king would likely live in style. Nice work carl!

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

Another consideration was that the lord of the castle was expected to provide stabling and housing for guests as well. As the lord was likely to be visited by a higher-ranking noble, the housing and stabling better be pretty good--or the owner ought to be prepared to accede his quarters to the visitor!

I'm thrilled with the way the black and tan look together as wattle-and-daub. It looked a little sickly on screen when I designed it. I may change the shutters to black. I may not. ;-)

Next is probably the line tower after the stable on the side, then either a granary or barracks. Then, who knows?

Carl

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Fool of a Took!

No, sorry. I like your castle. The mixture of almost set-like scale and CCC-style is very nice. Also the way you made the structure modular is very good. Keep on adding to this project!

Bye
Jojo

Magnus
Artisan

castle

Post by Magnus »

Very very nice! Your project isn't so dissimilar to my own modular castle. I'e come a lot further thanyou, but yours is on a slightly bigger scale with no prefab wall pieces. I like it a lot!

Nice to see crenelatoins that actually protect the figs all the way! And I like how you have the corner tower projecting from the wall to give some flanking fire on anyone foolhardy enough to attack the mighty barbican/gatehouse combo.

In fact yours is one of the first genuine barbicans I've seen in lego. I want to add one to my castle but I've run out of light grey brick. I've learned tha ta good gatehouse chews up a lo of pieces, perhaps as many as a small sized keep, and I can only imagine that a barbican/gatehouse is quite an udertaking. Maybe I'll build one in dark grey or black?

My only quibble is with the overall style, the walls seem to be a little more "busy" than any castle walls I'v see. Lots of things jutting out an lots of places. i guess I tend to go for a flat wall with possibly machicolations along the top. But overall very impressive! I look forward to see the next installment!
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

I've been seeing this on Brick Shelf and thought it was very cool! Great job! I love the detail in..... pretty much everything!
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

The tack room in the stable..... very appropriate , yet oft neglected detail. The raised archer turrets on the curtain wall are neat also.
Troy T. Moore
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I have to second everything said. Its a great castle. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.