Colossal Castle Contest 9

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Deviet
Peasant

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 9

Post by Deviet »

I have a question. In the Custom Fantasy Castle Minifig category, is it allowed to build a character from a computer game?
rapsmocs
Villein

Post by rapsmocs »

Sorry to be a pain...but for for the castle category, could it be more of a linear or spur castle? Instead of having concentric walls and/or side towers could it have a series of towers and raised fortifications, based on the terrain, and all connected via ramps, stairs, walkways? Each successive tower is actually a gatehouse and is on the approach to the keep? Thanks.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

quaraga wrote:aside from the fig based categories to which the answer seems obvious, are micros allowed given, of course, that they fit in to the category otherwise?
14. Microscale creations would only be allowed in the miscellaneous category. Creations for the CCC categories should be minifigure scale unless noted otherwise. We just hosted a micro scale castle contest...
Lobberuno wrote:Can I present my MOC made ​​with the Lego Designer software, by following the rules of the competition?
15. Yes. You may create entries using LEGO Digital Designer or LDraw ( http://www.ldraw.org ) These entries must use readily available pieces, not large quantities of rare pieces, colors, or figures, and they must also be physically possible.
Deviet wrote:I have a question. In the Custom Fantasy Castle Minifig category, is it allowed to build a character from a computer game?
16. Yes if it is a medieval fantasy character
rapsmocs wrote:Sorry to be a pain...but for for the castle category, could it be more of a linear or spur castle? Instead of having concentric walls and/or side towers could it have a series of towers and raised fortifications, based on the terrain, and all connected via ramps, stairs, walkways? Each successive tower is actually a gatehouse and is on the approach to the keep? Thanks.
17. No. The castle should have a courtyard with interior buildings. The keep that you describe could be part of a larger castle with a courtyard and concentric walls.
Hrvoje
Villein

Post by Hrvoje »

I've seen many great entries last year. Maybe it's time for me to join the fun.
I already have some ideas. :)

One question, though: Are we allowed to create customized minifigure in 3D software (for example, Autodesk Maya, 3Ds Max
and Blender)?
I know it sounds easy, but it isn't. :wink:
KumpelKante
Geoffrey of Monmouth

Post by KumpelKante »

architect wrote:

rapsmocs wrote:Sorry to be a pain...but for for the castle category, could it be more of a linear or spur castle? Instead of having concentric walls and/or side towers could it have a series of towers and raised fortifications, based on the terrain, and all connected via ramps, stairs, walkways? Each successive tower is actually a gatehouse and is on the approach to the keep? Thanks.
17. No. The castle should have a courtyard with interior buildings. The keep that you describe could be part of a larger castle with a courtyard and concentric walls.
Alright, a castle should have a courtyard, interior buildings, tower etc... But i plan to use a somewhat different Layout (dont want to give away my idea yet) in my entry for the castle-category. (yet having most not all of the usual elements of a castle) How much does my MOC have to resemble the typical Layout with one courtyard in the centre and all other building around the courtyard in the center (i hope you get what i mean)?
Glory_Forever
Villein

Post by Glory_Forever »

Can I use a Wizard being raided in the category "Bandit's Raid"? Thanks, Noah
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hrvoje wrote: Are we allowed to create customized minifigure in 3D software (for example, Autodesk Maya, 3Ds Max
and Blender)?
18. We would like to see actual physical custom figures for the custom minifig and creature categories. You could create a 3D model and then make a plastic version with a 3D printer though.
KumpelKante wrote:Alright, a castle should have a courtyard, interior buildings, tower etc... But i plan to use a somewhat different Layout (dont want to give away my idea yet) in my entry for the castle-category. (yet having most not all of the usual elements of a castle) How much does my MOC have to resemble the typical Layout with one courtyard in the centre and all other building around the courtyard in the center (i hope you get what i mean)?
19. Please send one of the admins a pm with a sketch of your idea so we can see if it meets the category requirements. Thanks.
Glory_Forever wrote:Can I use a Wizard being raided in the category "Bandit's Raid"?
20. Yes.
Fraslund
Robin Goodfellow

Post by Fraslund »

Sorry newbie here: Do our entries have to be something built between now and the deadline or can we submit entries that were previously completed (ie for brickcon)?
Hrvoje
Villein

Post by Hrvoje »

Rules wrote:Submissions can be entered into other LEGO contests but still must meet our category requirements. You can not submit any creations posted online or shown in public before November 1st, 2011.
:wink:
architect wrote:
Hrvoje wrote: Are we allowed to create customized minifigure in 3D software (for example, Autodesk Maya, 3Ds Max
and Blender)?
18. We would like to see actual physical custom figures for the custom minifig and creature categories. You could create a 3D model and then make a plastic version with a 3D printer though.
Ok.
I don't own a 3D printer, but I'll try to find out is there any place where I could create 3D minifig and create it.
For a reasonable price...

EDIT: Are we allowed to use characters from one category in another category?

To bad, though, this probably ruined my chances...
Last edited by Hrvoje on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro Ivo
Apprentice

Post by Pedro Ivo »

Omg, what a great contest!
I'll tray to submit in all categories! Its my fist contest! :D
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

I was wondering about using cloth in MOCs, I thought I saw somewhere in the rules that it was allowed. But now I can't find it again. Thanks for the help.
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

First off, I want to thank all involved for creating and supporting this contest. It truly is a holiday tradition on par with Thanksgiving.

Secondly, for the hidden treasure category, should we show the hiding place before it's discovered, then afterwards (like showing a closed secret passage entrance, then showing it opened)?

And thirdly, are cannons allowed in the siege weapons category? I realize that cannons dont tend to be what people think of when they hear siege weapon, but there were some pretty awsome ones in use by the Ottomans at the siege of Constantinople that were well within our period.
Back to the front!
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Are paper sails allowed? I have a entry that would greatly appeciate having a sail.
Josh Wedin wrote:PS. You can come out of the corner now.
Yay! :D

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Fraslund wrote:Sorry newbie here: Do our entries have to be something built between now and the deadline or can we submit entries that were previously completed (ie for brickcon)?
21. Sorry. No mocs shown online or at public events before November 1st 2011 are eligible for the Colossal Castle Contest.
Hrvoje wrote:Are we allowed to use characters from one category in another category?
22. The admins will review this question and get back to you.
soccerkid6 wrote:I was wondering about using cloth in MOCs, I thought I saw somewhere in the rules that it was allowed.
23. Yes. Custom cloth and string are allowed in your mocs.
Elbadar wrote:Secondly, for the hidden treasure category, should we show the hiding place before it's discovered, then afterwards (like showing a closed secret passage entrance, then showing it opened)?
24. Yes.
Are cannons allowed in the siege weapons category? I realize that cannons dont tend to be what people think of when they hear siege weapon, but there were some pretty awsome ones in use by the Ottomans at the siege of Constantinople that were well within our period.
25. No. The siege of Constantinople has been covered quite well in previous Colossal Castle Contests. Please refrain from creating siege weapons that use gunpowder. Thanks.
Elephant Knight wrote:Are paper sails allowed?
26. Yes.
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

Ok thanks very. And thanks for doing this. I know a lot of people really enjoy it, including me. :)
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/