Black Falcon's Modular wall

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Black Falcon's Modular wall

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

So Nick, what did you do with your summer?
The seemingly obvious answer is wrong. I didn't spend much time with Lego. A job always has first priority, and that didn't leave much time for my hobby. However, I did have some spare time, and that is when I would frantically build. The idea of a modular wall had always been in the back of my head, but I was truly inspired when I saw Jail's MOC - his very impressive corner tower. I decided to keep it simple - just build a simple wall segment. It is not huge or impressive as size goes, but it is practical and I am happy with the finished result. Also, I think I have found a practical solution to the classic archer loop dilemma.

Enjoy!

Deep links: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lemon ... llback.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lemon ... lfront.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lemon ... window.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lemon ... untain.jpg
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

Nice arrow loops! Good thinking!

I always like seeing the classic minifigs with non-smiley faces, too.

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey,

It looks nice--very imposing to attacking forces. The only change I would suggest is to put the arrow slits further up off the ground.

Bruce
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I absolutely love the view from the inside of the wall!

Great Job,

DM
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

Nice job, Nick. I'm glad I inspired you. I'd love to see this in the scale of my walls. :wink:

My only complaint is how low the archer windows are - They're almost hard to see when looking from the outside. And low to the ground. As if you could sneak up from the side and skewer whoever's inside by poking a spear through the window. :P I do especially like the little windows from above at the tops of the arches - Love that idea.

Nice job.
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

Very nice. I especially like the way you did the...murder holes? not sure about terminology, but I'm talking about the upper windows designed to throw stuff on attackers.
pwnage
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

I like the way you made the arrow loops and the green and brown landscaping in front of the wall.
Bruce N H wrote:The only change I would suggest is to put the arrow slits further up off the ground.
I too believe the archer loops should be higher for defensive reasons, but otherwise I love your wall!

- The Josh
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Black Falcon's Modular wall

Post by footsteps »

I'd like to see details of how you made your arrow slits. They look good from what I can see, but I'd be interested in knowing the details.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I really like the look of the wall and the level of detail is excellent. The arched details look great.

As others have said, the arrow slits are two low defensively. Stone can crack and break under heat and these arrow slits are just begging an attacking army to set them on fire.

Other than that, I really like the way they look, perhaps a few layers of brick below could place these arrow slits higher without changing your design too much.

Of course you can ignore us all and enjoy the very cool wall you built. This is lego and we don'y need to worry about fire damaging our castles. Those orange flames do nothing. :lol:

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

An very nice wall fragment. I like the three tiers of fighting lines with the muertrieres and the battlements.They are well done.
I only would advise to make the lower part of the wall a few courses higher, like others already mentioned. Maybe, you can make the muertrieres a bit deeper in order to create broader battlements. And the merlons should be as high as, or higher than the archer. They have to look and to shoot through the crenelations and not over the merlons.

But this is only a old historian talking, so don't bother too much.

And I know, ..That never ending short of bricks... :wink:
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

Ow... :( I want more bricks to build a castle
A small yet very defendable wall, and I love the way you did the archer turret.
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Thank you for all your input! It is appreciated :D
The only change I would suggest is to put the arrow slits further up off the ground.
My only complaint is how low the archer windows are - They're almost hard to see when looking from the outside. And low to the ground.
I too believe the archer loops should be higher for defensive reasons
As others have said, the arrow slits are two low defensively.
You are all right. The loops should of been higher. I even thought about removing them altogether. Oh well, you can't have everything. I will change the height on these on my gatehouse though.
I'd like to see details of how you made your arrow slits. They look good from what I can see, but I'd be interested in knowing the details.
I will put pics of this particular section on BS later. To give you a short description though, this is how I do it.

On a flat segment of wall where you want to position your slit, (the wall must be 2 studs thick) place a 1 x 4 tile on the defending side. Build another level around the tile. You will have to use a 2 x 1 and a 1 x 1 to leave one stud open. On opposite sides, parallel to the tile, place two technic 1 x 1 bricks and stick half pins in them. On the pin farthest from the gap, put a 2 x 1 brick sideways and then put a 2 x 1 panel. Ditto for the other side only without the brick Put an arch over the gap, and viola! You have a nice little archer window.
And the merlons should be as high as, or higher than the archer. They have to look and to shoot through the crenelations and not over the merlons.
You are right. There should be archer slits in the crenelations, but nobody does that as it would be pretty ticky to do with Lego on a minifig scale.
I want more bricks to build a castle
To be honest, this is about 1/5 of the light grey I own. The rest is in a *half* finished gatehouse, which means I will have to buy more! :roll:
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Nice wall and minifigs, keep it up.
Thanks, Thomas
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]