Colossal Castle Contest 12

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
tomcatrio
Gong Farmer

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 12

Post by tomcatrio »

Question for the fantasy/ historical minifig category:

Will judging include the mount of the minifig? eg, the focus of judging is on the minifig but if the minifig is riding a horse which is also decorated, will judges consider the horse as "part of" the minifig in scoring?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

gid617 wrote:I have a really silly question but isn't that what the thread is for? Is the Best Intentions category supposed to be a pun?
40. Yes.
Question for the fantasy/ historical minifig category:

Will judging include the mount of the minifig? eg, the focus of judging is on the minifig but if the minifig is riding a horse which is also decorated, will judges consider the horse as "part of" the minifig in scoring?
41. A decorated horse would be graded as part of the overall custom figure. However bases or backgrounds are discouraged and do not count as part of the grade.
Adolfo
Villein

Post by Adolfo »

I have questions about the pictures.

Can I use the last picture of this post in the contest?
http://classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=25701
I did a special edition, but I don't know if counts like just one picture or if it allowed. If no, let me know that I remove it.

And what about the limit of 5 pictures, can I have more than 5 on my Flickr profile and just post 5 here for people ckeck or there I must follow the limit too?
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

For the Medieval Husbandry category, could I illustrate a scene from a medieval-set book that involves character's trying to get rid of a pest that's eating the farm chickens? I guess keeping your animals safe is part of farming, correct?
FanLego
Serf

Post by FanLego »

I wonder if it is allowed to cut those hoses (from exo-force): http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x400c20 ?
And, can we cut 'normal' hoses 3mm D? (example: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=75c07 )
Sorry if somewhere are answers. I don't read everything.
josdu
Gentleman

Post by josdu »

I was wondering if the castle building could just be an interior :raiseone: ? Thanks!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98280612@N05/?details=1#]Flickr[/url]

Let [them] see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven.
Matthew 5:16
Takkata
Deep he Delved

Post by Takkata »

I have several questions all for the Out with the new category

-When it says techniques from the 70s and 80s, is that referring more to the style of the build, or simply the connections in it? Definitions of techniques can very, google says that its defined as: "a way of carrying out a particular task, especially the execution or performance of an artistic work or a scientific procedure." So if I find a connection that was used, am I able to utilize that and use the same connection for things that lego never used it for?

-It says redesign a Castle set, using techniques from the 70's and 80's, does that mean techniques only from the 70s and 80s castle sets? Or just any set during that time period? The description never specifies, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going against the authors intent if I decide to use something from a set thats not castle.

-Is the goal of this category to make a 'set like' moc out of one of the newer sets, or should I be trying to make the set have a moc feel? For example instead of just a castle redesigned in old greys on a few plates, should I shoot for a full landscape with the castle on it?
My Mocpages: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/92572 and my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93970753@N05/
Glorfindel
Serf

Post by Glorfindel »

when I submit an entry, what exactly are castle userids?
Of us, the ancient legends told,
We will return
The folk of old,
To help to free the yonder land
Of evil that is close at hand.
josdu
Gentleman

Post by josdu »

Also, how exaggerated can we take the "Limited overhang" thing? Like can a small amount of platforms overhanging on the ground level (please) ?

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Adolfo wrote:Can I use the last picture of this post in the contest?
42A. No. A collage can only be used to show action like a falling axe or trap door.
And what about the limit of 5 pictures, can I have more than 5 on my Flickr profile and just post 5 here for people ckeck or there I must follow the limit too?
Please link to a set with five pictures for grading purposes. You certainly can have more pictures in your flickr account for everyone to see.
For the Medieval Husbandry category, could I illustrate a scene from a medieval-set book that involves character's trying to get rid of a pest that's eating the farm chickens? I guess keeping your animals safe is part of farming, correct?
43. Yes if that pest is a wild animal like a fox or wolf. No if that pest is an ogre or some other fantasy creature. Feel free to contact the admins directly with your idea for clarification.
I wonder if it is allowed to cut those hoses (from exo-force): http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x400c20 ?
And, can we cut 'normal' hoses 3mm D? (example: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=75c07 )
Sorry if somewhere are answers. I don't read everything.
44. Cutting these hoses has been allowed in previous Colossal Castle Contests.
I was wondering if the castle building could just be an interior? Thanks!
45. Building the interior of a castle building is fine but we also recommend showing some of the exterior as well.
I have several questions all for the Out with the new category

-When it says techniques from the 70s and 80s, is that referring more to the style of the build, or simply the connections in it? Definitions of techniques can very, google says that its defined as: "a way of carrying out a particular task, especially the execution or performance of an artistic work or a scientific procedure." So if I find a connection that was used, am I able to utilize that and use the same connection for things that lego never used it for?
46A. It is mainly the style of the build. However your creation should be built in a style that could have been a set. So building an usual shape with 100 finger hinge pieces or an unstable shape (ie: can this moc be turned upside down without half of the pieces falling to the floor) would not be realistic.
It says redesign a Castle set, using techniques from the 70's and 80's, does that mean techniques only from the 70s and 80s castle sets? Or just any set during that time period? The description never specifies, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going against the authors intent if I decide to use something from a set thats not castle.
46B. Your creation can include techniques from other official themes such as Town and Space. LEGO Designers in the 1980's worked on the evergreen themes (castle, space, and town) That is why some castle sets like 6030 Catapult use space techniques and pieces.
Is the goal of this category to make a 'set like' moc out of one of the newer sets, or should I be trying to make the set have a moc feel? For example instead of just a castle redesigned in old greys on a few plates, should I shoot for a full landscape with the castle on it?
46C. It can be somewhere in between. The classic idea book creations would be a good guide. Building a giant landscape would be less appropriate than showing off a collection of 50 cypress trees in the background.
when I submit an entry, what exactly are castle userids?
47. The user id is your forum name.
Also, how exaggerated can we take the "Limited overhang" thing? Like can a small amount of platforms overhanging on the ground level (please) ?
48. Several studs for foliage overhang is acceptable. Nothing at ground level should overhang the base size.
josdu
Gentleman

Post by josdu »

Thanks a lot for the answers :D !

Glorfindel
Serf

Post by Glorfindel »

Thanks!
Of us, the ancient legends told,
We will return
The folk of old,
To help to free the yonder land
Of evil that is close at hand.
Aren the Elf
Gong Farmer

Post by Aren the Elf »

Would I be allowed to use a blue background with clouds and a sun on it to represent a natural sky? And also, could I use rubber bands for rope? My chains seem to have gone missing.
Why? Because I'm Batman!
josdu
Gentleman

Post by josdu »

I had a question a while back (It was; for Vehicle VS Vehicle can there be multiple Vehicles?) and was answered:
"The admins will discuss multiple vehicles and get back to you."
SO... have they discussed it yet? Is there an answer? Because I had an idea that would involve multiple vehicles :) .

Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

2 questions: in the Castle Siege category, does a siege ladder count as a siege engine? Also, some My entries were on the naughty list, and I re-submitted them all with the corrections. But only some of them showed up on the view entries page. I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong or what.