Peasant House

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Grover
Peasant

Peasant House

Post by Grover »

[url=https://flic.kr/p/26GV27j][img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/851/418134808 ... 43bbfe.jpg[/img][/url]

More pictures on [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/139107544@N04/ ... 559683941/]flickr[/url].

This was based largely on the temporary structures constructed in the building of the castle in David Macaulay's book Castle. The gap in the thatched roof is to let smoke out, and was seen typically in lower status housing. There is a hole in the 2nd floor to let smoke escape. This is similar in style to an English cruck house, but is its own unique styling. It was originally done with story on Eurobricks (Guilds of Historica).

I spent a lot of time playing with the roof technique, as I tried many things that I did not like at first. I settled on the technic pin structure, then went through iterations until I felt I had something equaling thatch, or at least the best approximation I could make from Lego. I saw this technique with short black pins originally on someone's flickr, but can't find it anymore, sorry to say, so I will give credit where credit is due.

The paneling is only slightly recessed, as I am not a fan of the full plate depth recession I see on many structures; it seems to be too much to me. The recession did not show up as well as I liked in the photos with the lighting, so I am working on my rather poor photographic skills.

Thanks to soccerkid6 and LittleJohn to their tutorial on the irregular bases. Their brickbuilt tutorial helped me figure out the small details I was missing to make it look smooth. I wound up buying a bunch of stuff on bricklink and bricks and pieces (the technic pins, much of the OD green material, tan tiles), then wound up having to go with the color choices I did because it was what I had on hand and I didn't want to spend any more money on pieces for this build. It does have an interior, but I did not have time to finish it. The floors separate from one another with tiles, so you can access each level.

I am trying to refine my building techniques, so any comments or criticisms, especially those about specific things, are appreciated!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Re: Peasant House

Post by architect »

Thank you for sharing this nice moc. The thatch roof looks great and I really like the slightly recessed wattle and daub panels. Are those set back 1/5th of a stud? Photographing small offsets like this can be difficult.

I would be interested in viewing a few "under construction" pictures of both techniques if you have them.

Thanks,

Ben
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Re: Peasant House

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

What a nice model. I like what you've done for the thatch work.