Classic-Castle.com

The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

October challenge - Haunted Castle MOC

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations

And the winner is . . .

Postby Bruce N H » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:16 pm

Hi all,

Not a lot of entries, but the ones we got were great. Here are the results:

Second runner up: Rogue's Trick or Treat. While there is not a lot here in terms of construction, this one works great as a comic, with a very funny payoff.

Runner up: Greg's Being Watched. This one makes really effective use of light-up elements to suggest the creature in the dark. This MOC is enhanced by its connection to a legendary story.

And the envelope please . . .

The winner: Rogue's Countess Bathory. This one has a lot going for it. There is really great construction, including the blood running down the side of the tub and on the floor, the shape of the tub itself, the chandalier, the arches at the top, but especially the way the fig's torso and leg are attached. This is also by far the creepiest, especially when you read up on the historical backstory.

Congratulations, Rogue. You have earned the right to call yourself the spookiest MOCer on c-c.com. At least until next Halloween rolls around. :P

Thing says bye-bye till next year!

Bruce
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Re: And the winner is . . .

Postby rogue27 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:24 pm

Bruce N H wrote:Congratulations, Rogue. You have earned the right to call yourself the spookiest MOCer on c-c.com. At least until next Halloween rolls around.

*bows* Thank you, thank you all...

*ahem* I am the spookiest MOCer on cc.com! That's kinda catchy isn't it?

I'd feel a bit better about this if there were more than 3 entries. (or were there?) Right now, it looks like I managed to beat myself and one other guy. Still, I'm quite pleased with my Countess Bathory Vignette. The number of Brickshelf views it has gotten would suggest that other people like it as well. (at least compared to my other pictures)

I wasn't sure if I should reveal what was inside the tub. It takes away some of the mystery, but I decided it was worth sharing. I was also wondering if I would get in trouble for "nudity" if the blood wasn't covering her chest. (It seems silly, but I can't be sure what people will think)

Want to know a secret? I do not have any plain yellow torsos. If you could see Elizabeth's back in those pictures, it would be covered with stripes, for she is really a pirate deckhand with the arms reversed!

Dr. Sparks wrote:That's a sweet Elizabeth Bathory you've got there. She looks so nonchalant, which makes it hilarious.

Thanks, that's the look I was going for with her pose in the tub. It looks funny but makes you feel bad about thinking it's funny.

A couple interesting notes: Elizabeth Bathory was part of the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula...

That, like many facts surrounding Elizabeth Bathory are debatable, but it certainly seems likely that she inspired BS's Dracula. The Prime Minister who led the raid and trial was a member of the Bathory family, so he tried to hide, obscure, or understate as many details as possible to protect his family's name and fortunes.

Anyway, congratulations to everybody else who entered the contest, including the runner up!
rogue27
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Postby greg3 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:20 pm

rogue27 wrote:
I'd feel a bit better about this if there were more than 3 entries. (or were there?) Right now, it looks like I managed to beat myself and one other guy.

Well as the "other guy" I just wanted to say well done Rogue!! I really liked the way you did the torso/leg (thanks for showing us how it was done!!) although the rest of it was great too (disturbing but great!!)
Greg
greg3
Serf

Next

Return to Castle MOCs