Colossal Castle Contest II

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

So, if somebody wanted to, could they use a MegaBloks sword in one of the custom categories?
This would be frowned apon because you did not design the custom sword yourself, MB did. The winners of these categories will come up with new custom pieces (sculpty or modified LEGO) or custom stickers for torsos and shields. Using someone else's customs is ok, but does not show your creativity and will probably not help your score.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
Mursk
Villein

Post by Mursk »

Can these character customs be related or basised off another style of character even if it's not that character, or such as an homage? like persay a Orc in LOTR fatigues. (not actual example)
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

architect wrote:
So, if somebody wanted to, could they use a MegaBloks sword in one of the custom categories?
This would be frowned apon because you did not design the custom sword yourself, MB did. The winners of these categories will come up with new custom pieces (sculpty or modified LEGO) or custom stickers for torsos and shields. Using someone else's customs is ok, but does not show your creativity and will probably not help your score.
I think what was meant by his question was: can a Mega Bloks weapon be customized and entered as part of the figure, rather than only a LEGO weapon?

And if it wasn't, it shoulda! :D
Last edited by TwoTonic Knight on Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Mr. D wrote:
lil Jon wrote:I'm really happy that there is a custom minifig category this year!

The bar will be raised so high on customizing I bet! I can't wait to see what folks make
Heh, heh; I'd be willing to bet a lot that Blasterman, TTK, or Red Bean will win that one!

D-man

P.S. Please don't take me up on that bet. ;)
Oh, I'll probably get over-ambitious and end up with a mess, so I don't think it wise to concede anything to me (since Isaac and Jeff probably won't compete for their own prizes). I'm currently trying to figure out how I can customize every single visible surface on a minifig, so that gives you an idea of what kind of epic scale of disaster I'm setting myself up for (you guys don't see my pile of flops that I have accumulated). :(
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

So with the Champion category...all you do is make a minifigure right?
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Sir Vincent wrote:So with the Champion category...all you do is make a minifigure right?
Hey Vincent, the "Champion" category has been removed in favor of splitting the Customization categories - we now have a Historical/Realistic Customized Fig and a Mythical/Fantasy Customized Fig.
Can we modify a MegaBlok sword?
As for modifing a Megablok sword - since you can use pretty much use anything (sculpy, clay, glue, paint, metal, tar, cloth, leather, etc) then sure, you can modify a MegaBlok sword. But, the base figure should be LEGO, because this is, after all, a LEGO Contest ;). Just keep it within reason.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

architect wrote:Next is the Realistic/Historical Customization. This replaces the "Champion" category. "Create a realistic/historical customized figure using modified bricks, custom accessories, and/or stickers. Ideas include armed knights, soldiers, monks, and villagers." The Little Armory has donated a knight, a complete set of weapons and accessories, knotted belt, and a unique prototype of the new helmet. Be the first to own these exclusives!
Nuts. Well, that puts me out of the running for this one. The last time I tried my hand at customizing, I sliced open my finger with an exacto, and sculpting is certainly not my forte.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

In the two fig catagorys, do the guys have to have a custom thing. I liked it better when there was one catagory for guys and one for customs. I would like to enter a guy, but he has no customs.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Allright, because of time and making my Knight Templar Halloween costume, I wasn't able to finish my MOC for the Halloween contest, but this time I'm entering even if it kills me! :lol:

I want to enter a few catergories and want to know, If I win first in two catergories, and since we get to keep 1 prize per person, do we get to choose which one we keep? Thanks.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I want to enter a few catergories and want to know, If I win first in two catergories, and since we get to keep 1 prize per person, do we get to choose which one we keep? Thanks.
Of course. This happened to one person last year. He chose the prize which he wanted and in the other category the second place person got the prize.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

Would a weapon made out of bricks count as being customized?
jon_p
Artisan

Post by jon_p »

architect wrote: Of course. This happened to one person last year. He chose the prize which he wanted and in the other category the second place person got the prize.
But would it still count as him coming 1st in the catagory? So for the Master Builder section, he would get points for first place, not second place.

Jon.
"We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!"

My Brickshelf gallery - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85183
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

But would it still count as him coming 1st in the catagory? So for the Master Builder section, he would get points for first place, not second place.
Master Builder is not affected by any of the other categories. The person with the highest average of their top 7 creations will get the prize. It doesnt matter what place you get in other categories.

Anyway, the person last year who had the highest average like this placed second in a majority of the categories. But if he had placed first in one, it would have only helped his score.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
PeteSWEmpire
Villein

Use of non yellow pieces on the 375 catagory

Post by PeteSWEmpire »

I was wondering if you can use other colors in the yellow castle catagory, as long as the walls are yellow. The set has pieces in red, black and light gray. I was hoping to use inverted and regular slopes in black, as well as lt gray plates. Can I use red roof slope pieces?

Thanks,
Mursk
Villein

Post by Mursk »

Do the Characters have to be completelly original?