Colossal Castle Contest II

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
forester3291
Merchant

Post by forester3291 »

LEGOFREAK wrote:
J1A3L5 wrote:I know this type question was asked previously, but the answer seemed quite vague.

Under the "three picture rule", am I allowed to take 3, (800x600 or smaller, obviously!,) images, and then take a few detail images, and embed them inside the 3 main images?

This isn't what I plan to do, but an example of what I mean was if I had a pic of a castle with the roof removed, and then took a pic of a detail in each room, and pasted them ontop of the original image beside each room to show the details that couldn't be seen otherwise.

Is that okay to do?

Thanks in advance!
I had to chime in here Jail-I believe the rule is you can only have embedded photos of things that move... like two pictures together of a trebuchet firing for instance.
several poses like with the roof off, or on, seems like they should each be in a separate pic.

of course i could be wrong. :wink:

I think you are wrong. Not that I kniow for sure but Mr Shiny has some embedded pics in his Hideout entry and it shows NO movement or per'se.
Space rocks.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Glencaer wrote: ....My suggestion is to be creative with how you take pictures. Composite photos are only going to allowed when they show some sort of action before and after. ....

.....It should be noted that you may take more pictures and post them in another Bshelf folder (that is, have a seperate folder for your contest entry) - and share those with your friends while the contest is progressing. But when it comes time to evaluate the contest entries, the Admins will only look at the 3 photos....

-Lenny
see above :)
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

LEGOFREAK wrote:
Glencaer wrote: ....My suggestion is to be creative with how you take pictures. Composite photos are only going to allowed when they show some sort of action before and after. ....

.....It should be noted that you may take more pictures and post them in another Bshelf folder (that is, have a seperate folder for your contest entry) - and share those with your friends while the contest is progressing. But when it comes time to evaluate the contest entries, the Admins will only look at the 3 photos....

-Lenny
see above :)
J1A3L5 wrote:I know this type question was asked previously, but the answer seemed quite vague.
"see above :)"

I read that, yet as forester3291 said, another member has entered an MOC with "composite photographs", and theirs seem to show features to the MOC, rather than "before & after" shots...
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I read that, yet as forester3291 said, another member has entered an MOC with "composite photographs", and theirs seem to show features to the MOC, rather than "before & after" shots...
Only action shots will be allowed (ie: axes falling or a secret door opening). If we have accidentally approved an entry that has "detail shots" which arent allowed, we will remove that entry until the problem is fixed. Once in a while an admin will miss something like this, but we will correct any mistakes that we have made with approving entries.

The main point is to avoid collages at all costs. It is not fair to other members and probably will not help your score.

Edit: I just looked at Mr. Shiny's entry. The detail shots show two secret doors which open. However, I would suggest adding arrows to show the movement of these doors. In addition, I suggest that action shots be from the same angle as the larger images. This way we can see the "before and after" views of moving parts, not a whole new detail shot of your creation.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

I just wanted to add that Patrick is correct.

And to Jail and others, please post an example. All of this talk of abstract issues is getting a bit confusing for me - especially when someone asks for clarification on a point that seems very clear to me.

But maybe it should be stated again for clarity sake:

No composite or collage pictures are not allowed. The rule of three pictures is the rule, and having a single image with multiple sub-pictures is obviously and plainly an attempt to find a loop-hole in this rule.

However, we do allow a collage which shows some sort of movement, before and after. Examples include a trebuchet firing, a door opening, a trap falling. You may note the action verb present in each example (firing, opening, falling) - if there is no action verb, there is no exception to the no-collage rule.

Need more clarity than this? PM either myself or Ben (architect) with an example, and we will decide whether it is okay or not.

Do you see something that doesn't fit? PM either myself or Ben (architect), and we will explain the Admin's decision or remove the entry.

-Lenny

PS. PMing any Admin will do, but Ben and I are the primary admins as far as the Contest is concerned. Admins will never unilaterally reverse another Admin's authority - so if you got an answer from Ben, don't expect Bruce to change it.
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

So... are my pics ok then? In both cases it's a secret door opening that's shown; I can add arrows or whatever if that's the requirement, but I feel that it's clear enough what's happening in my moc. As for taking the pics from the same angle, that's not really practical for the tree stump, and doing it for the other hidden door would mean that I wouldn't be able to show any other details on the moc. I can change the photos if they're not up to the rules.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Mr. Shiny & New wrote:So... are my pics ok then? In both cases it's a secret door opening that's shown; I can add arrows or whatever if that's the requirement, but I feel that it's clear enough what's happening in my moc. As for taking the pics from the same angle, that's not really practical for the tree stump, and doing it for the other hidden door would mean that I wouldn't be able to show any other details on the moc. I can change the photos if they're not up to the rules.
I remember seeing some of your pictures online and they looked okay to me. An arrow isn't necessary, and neither is taking the pictures from the same angle. These were suggestions to help make things absolutely clear.

But in future reference, if you want us to give a decision about whether picture are okay or not, send us a link to those pictures. I dont really have the time to go searching through all of the contest categories to find yours.

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

Glencaer wrote: I remember seeing some of your pictures online and they looked okay to me. An arrow isn't necessary, and neither is taking the pictures from the same angle. These were suggestions to help make things absolutely clear.

But in future reference, if you want us to give a decision about whether picture are okay or not, send us a link to those pictures. I dont really have the time to go searching through all of the contest categories to find yours.

-Lenny
Ok, thanks Lenny.
ACPin
Reeve

Post by ACPin »

architect wrote:
Now does this mean I cannot use something available IN 1984? Like Dark Gray helmets? this part is very hard to find in yellow, I only have two, and this in light gray is VERY rare. Or is it within reason? like no brown parts?
It is within reason. Mainly it should be a yellow castle made of basic bricks and not poops. Using bullet helms and flared helms or swords which are black or dark grey is fine. Using a kettle helm or ovoid shield would be pushing it. You dont have to own a yellow castle to enter this category, just yellow bricks :)

Ben E.
Contest Admin
My question is in the same context as the previous one. As I don't own a yellow castle, I don't have the
http://www.peeron.com/pics/inv/custpics/thumbs/x105.jpg . Would it be OK to use the
http://www.peeron.com/pics/inv/custpics/thumbs/x126.jpg instead?

Thanks in advance to Anthony as I've used his stickers for the torsos and the shields.

AC
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Man of Iron wrote:I have a few questions I'd like to ask about the contest, do you have to post your creations up only with brickshelf?
From the Contest Rules page:

"We suggest using Brickshelf to host your images."

'Suggest' means it is an idea we offer, but you don't have to take it.
I'm having some problems getting a brickshelf account (they won't send me my password), so I was wondering if I could use a different way of getting my pictures up on the entries page (does anybody have any suggestions?)?
You have to upload the pictures onto the net. If you're having problems with Brickshelf, trying emailing Kevin Loch the admin there. Otherwise, you're going to have to find some other place to host those images - we at Classic-Castle don't have the time or server space to host everyone's images.
Also, when does the contest end?
Also from the rules page:

"The contest will begin on Monday November 1st, 2004 and end on Friday December 31st, 2004. Contest winners will be announced on Sunday January 16th, 2005."

Make sense?

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

ACPin wrote:My question is in the same context as the previous one. As I don't own a yellow castle, I don't have the
http://www.peeron.com/pics/inv/custpics/thumbs/x105.jpg . Would it be OK to use the
Those pictures come up as "Access Forbidden" - can you link me to the page rather than the image?

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
ACPin
Reeve

Post by ACPin »

Glencaer wrote:
ACPin wrote:My question is in the same context as the previous one. As I don't own a yellow castle, I don't have the
Those pictures come up as "Access Forbidden" - can you link me to the page rather than the image?

-Lenny
Sorry about that, it's actually the helmet visor with grille and feather that I don't have which I want to replace with the helmet visor pointed. It just won't make sense to have a knight in a space helmet. :)

AC
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

ACPin wrote: Sorry about that, it's actually the helmet visor with grille and feather that I don't have which I want to replace with the helmet visor pointed. It just won't make sense to have a knight in a space helmet. :)
I understand the request, but I'm going to have to say no. The point of the Yellow Castle category is to use pieces and styles similiar to the 375 Yellow Castle - the Pointed Visor wasn't released until *much* later - even if it is the successor to the Yellow Castle style visored helmet.

I'd suggest using either the grill faced helm, the bullet helm, or noseguard helm for knights. The grill face helm, altho not used during the 375 time (1979-1983), was developed immeadiately afterwards (1984) - and so I think it is okay, keeping within the spirit of the category.

I'm gonna ask for Ben to weigh in on this, since the Yellow category is his brain child. I'll reserve the final judgement to him, but I'm gonna guess he's gonna say no as well.

-Lenny
===
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~