The Castle of the Sleeping Dragon - updated!

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Blueandwhite wrote:More pics of Robin Sather's castle have shown up on brickshelf!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=117464

This castle is absolutely fantastic!
Woah you beat me to it!

Yeah my pics aren't the greatest - blame it on my old camera, shaky hands, plus the glass surrounding the display. I still hope you guys can see a lot of the little details though! I really like the curved stairs, angled walls, and the sloping wall, among other things...

The story behind the castle is that the a wizard cast a sleeping spell on a red dragon, and the castle was built on top to contain the dragon. Towards the back of the castle, you'll see a cave with a bit of the dragon's claw showing:

Robin said that he's not even 100% finished! He hopes to add another tower on the rock piece that's connected by bridge, as well as more action/detail on the grassy area outside the castle, so I'll go back and take more pics at a later date.

Unfortunately, my pictures really don't do the model justice. You gotta see it in person!

-Bryan
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

this must ndead b one of the most awesomest castles ive ever seen for really long'

Erik
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

:shock: :shock: Quite a feast for the eyes.
Troy T. Moore
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Although not without flaws (use of HP roofs, tiny battlements, this dinky tower http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Bryan ... rld/14.jpg )this is by far one of the best castles of all time in my opinion. The use of angles and curved walls is superior than any other attempt that I have seen. The only thing that I don't like is that it is a trifle large. The details stand out less when surroned by large masses of grey, but thats just my opinion.

DM
Last edited by Dragon Master on Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
robin
Serf

Post by robin »

Hi guys,

Thought I'd chime in here! Thanks, Bryan for the heads-up, and introducing "Schlafendrache Castle" to the group here. I intended to drop in eventually, when the castle is completed, and I get the website built for it. But that can come later!

First of all, thanks for all of your comments and compliments. I really appreciate it. The project has been a lot of work (and is still ongoing), but TONS of fun, as you can imagine.

Maybe I can shed a little more light on this MOC, the circumstances surrounding its creation, and a bit about what's next!

It's been several years since I've been able to really bite into a major castle MOC, and I'd been thinking about one like this for a long time. The castle is greatly inspired by a gorgeous Lenox collectible castle called "Falkenstein" (click here for an image). I took that castle as a base, and went from there.

If you've checked the Brickville website, you'll know that the castle is part of a larger exhibit that we are part of, called "A LEGO Odyssey", currently on display at Science World, here in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

One of the creations that Science World wanted was a large castle, to go with the glued dragon sculpture that was also coming as part of the exhibit. I got some preliminary pictures of the dragon so that I could tie it into the castle creation somewhat. The dragon sculpture is cool, but a bit unusual. First of all, the dragon is holding a giant ax (you can see it end-on in this pic), which I've never heard of before. The ax provides a spot to display the Lego logo, I suppose. Secondly, the dragon is HUGE in scale. The dragon is towering over a short "Wizard's tower" (you can see the black and light grey roof in the picture, right below the dragon's left paw). There's also a mini-land scale wizard standing in the tower.

I took these two points, along with my "fantasy castle by the sea" idea, and came up with a whole story-line for the MOC (which you'll have to wait to discover until it's all done!). Science World wanted a very simple story to tag onto the sign for the castle, so they invented a very simplifed version of the tale. Some things you know already. The dragon is sleeping (duh!), and is under the castle. Bryan's picture doesn't show it well, but kids delight in finding the dragon's paw "hidden" in the sea-cave under the castle. Also, "Sleeping Dragon" in german is "Schlafendrache", which is the "official" name of the castle. As to the ax? Well, there's a woodcutter, a princess, some magic, and a few other story elements to the tale ...

To some of your posts ...

I used the HP roofs in a few spots, first because they fit those towers(!), but mostly because I ran out of sand-green pieces to build custom towertops. I don't think the final version will use more than 1, perhaps 2 HP rooftops.

Which brings up the fact that the castle is FAR from finished. I was pressed for time to get it ready for the exhibit opening (too much else to do with the rest of the exhibit components and organization), so I had to really scramble to get a presentable castle put together quickly. See below for what will be changed or added to the castle before it's shown next.

Bryan asked how it's built/transported. The tallest towers detach completely, as do the "white" palace portion, and chapel. All the rest splits into 6 sections, the seams of which are very evident in Bryan's pictures (gotta fix that next time I'm down there!). The sections use technic axles to line up and connect. Works really well.

As to construction? I've used lots and lots of tricks 8) , some taken from great MOCs out there, and some I came up with on my own. Generally, I use symmetry sparingly, and like to model real-world shapes and curves as much as possible.

What's next for the castle? Well, pretty much the whole "top" of the castle will be rebuilt, basically from just below the "white" part up, including the towers (and the "dinky tower" :) ). These were hastily constructed, and need lots of work. Some of these will also be interior detailed. Also, as Bryan mentioned, I'll be adding a small building/tower on the island, some action in the water (ship or two, etc.), lots more in the wharf area, a (tan) path coming up where the knights are currently riding on the grass, LOTS more figs and situations inside and out, the woodcutter's cottage, and lots more. Some of the minor work will make it to Science World, but the major rebuilding will have to wait until after the exhibit ends in May.

I'll have the finished (are they ever finished? :wink: ) castle at NWBrickCon in Seattle this fall.

Thanks again for all your comments. I enjoy them all, especially the constructive criticism.

Regards,

Robin
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello Robin!

Now that you have chimed in I'll say it in your face (*gangsta pose*):

That's a very beautiful castle already, even if it's not finished yet. I'm really looking forward to see the final (or closest to final, as some MOCs never will be finished) version. -
The landscape is outstanding, and there are so many small details that make the structure beautiful and interesting, let alone the many skillful building techniques. - For example I like the the thin bridge that leads to the single rock in the sea.

All in all it's a beautiful castle, but it's also erm.. lovely in its romantic appearance. It's much more peacefully looking than martially, and I appreciate that.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

so I had to really scramble to get a presentable castle put together quickly.
Wow! You work very well under pressure!
I think the castle in it's present form is already amazing, so it should be interesting to see hom much better you can make this wonderful castle!
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Jacob C. wrote:
so I had to really scramble to get a presentable castle put together quickly.
Wow! You work very well under pressure!
LOL Robin can only build under pressure. Some of his best creations are done in the last minute. :lol:

-Bryan
robin
Serf

Post by robin »

LOL Robin can only build under pressure. Some of his best creations are done in the last minute.
Ah, Bryan knows me well ... 8)
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

HowD, Robin!

Thanks for the input, it was very interesting.

I really can't wait for the final virsion of this caste. By the way, please don't loose the HP roofs; they work very well for this and I think that they look great.

Later,

D-Man
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Bumping this thread...

What really raises my enjoyment level of a wonderful MOC is the life breathed into the creation by the skillful placement of minifigs. That's one of the things marakoeschtra and takeshi itou, among others, have really mastered to set their creations apart. That's also one of the things holding back Carney (and his use of stickers, which I disagree with, but let's not get off topic), but I guess he's going for historical accuracy, so I'll forgive him. :lol:

Anyhow, Robin's castle was on display for a few weeks at an annual fair this summer. I'm not sure what he's added since the last time I saw this, but the tan pathway is probably the most noticeable one.

I can never get enough of his castle so of course, I took more pictures. But this time, my focus was on interactions:

Click the picture to see more of the interactions! (Sorry my pictures aren't the greatest - the glass barrier doesn't help either)
-Bryan