Moot Hall

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
WilliamH
Villein

Moot Hall

Post by WilliamH »

The Moot (or Market) Hall was a fairly common civic building. Usually the ground floor was open sided and contained stalls rented out on market days. The upper floor typically comprised a large room for official functions (meetings, trials, etc) with perhaps one or two small offices. The upper floor was usually accessed by external stairs and also had a balcony where proclamations could be made or dignitaries stand to gain a better view of events happening below in the market place. Examples are the Keswick Moot Hall and the Titchfield Market Hall

My castle layout has its own Moot Hall at the centre of the market place (front and back) which I've recently rebuilt to include a small scene in the interior ... waiting to pay your tithes can be quite daunting

enjoy

William
Magnus
Artisan

Post by Magnus »

Very nice! Cool to see another modification of the Siskindian style house.

Keep building!
Norro
Councilor

Re: Moot Hall

Post by Norro »

Oooooh! Nice blue...

God Bless,

Nathan
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

That's nice in two ways. First of it's nicely built. For some reason I like the colour scheme.
And secondly it's a good non-militarian building that's not a Blacksmith shop :-). Trading is also part of the mediaeval world.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

It's nice to see a new type of building.
It looks very good and I especially love the scene up stairs!
It seems like the poor chap is about to get ripped off or something?
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

This is really cool - as was said earlier, the blue color is nice, and the building as a whole seems to have a very solid, functional design. This would be perfect in any town setting.

Also, I like the little scene you have going on inside... pretty cool - where did you get the head for the official "recieving" the tithe?

Well done!
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Very nice, well refined little building!

I like the affect of the open, arched sides and the tiling underneath. I would really like to see the little booths set up underneath with different merchants selling their wares...

I also like how you solved the problem caused by the balcony on the front not being quite the right length for the fence sections work out exactly. Even the the posts are not at regular intervals (between every section, or every other section), it looks good.

Well done.

D-Man
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

ottoatm wrote:Also, I like the little scene you have going on inside... pretty cool - where did you get the head for the official "recieving" the tithe?
That's the head that comes with all the basic, red-armed, kettle-helmed KK1 soldiers.

A great head, in my opinion.

As to the MOC at hand, I agree that it is quite appealing to the eye- and to one's innovative sense. Beyond the comments already made, I've really got nothing to add...

Although I DO like the backwards use of a forestman hat. I'm sure it's been done before, but I've never seen it.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

That's the head that comes with all the basic, red-armed, kettle-helmed KK1 soldiers.
Is it really? I wondered, but thought that one of the eyebrows and mouth looked a bit... slanted? Or crooked? Do all of the kettle-helms have that as well? Sheesh... just goes to show how long it's been since I've fiddled with KK1!
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
WilliamH
Villein

Post by WilliamH »

Formendacil wrote:
ottoatm wrote:Also, I like the little scene you have going on inside... pretty cool - where did you get the head for the official "recieving" the tithe?
I'm not a minifig expert so will defer to others on its origin. Although I did recently buy a load of KK1 torsos (torsii?) from the Pick-A-Brick.
Formendacil wrote:Although I DO like the backwards use of a forestman hat. I'm sure it's been done before, but I've never seen it.
I got the idea from my 6yr old :)
WilliamH
Villein

Post by WilliamH »

Mr. D wrote:I would really like to see the little booths set up underneath with different merchants selling their wares...
I'll see what's possible the next time it falls apart in transit and has to be rebuilt!
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Thats a good building. I like that you took the time to put a floor in at that bottom and didn't leave it like grass (green).

My favorite part is the little scene. Not only is it a good building but the presents and action that the mini figures have make it a better MOC. You could include people selling items downstairs.

Keep up the good work.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Outstanding! I did not know of such buildings until I read your little blurb. I like the sand blue, though it probably isn't very realistic, but hey, it's Lego! These are the kinds of buildings that were the center of life for the bulk of the people alive in Medieva times I would imagine. We tend to focus on the buildings that the 1% ers (no not those 1 % ers!) would be involved with like castles and towers. Very well planned and executed sir.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens