Triumphal arch

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Jojo wrote:The easy way is the Dark Side :-)
LOL... that made me laugh. Well, generally speaking, I do like your arch - I'd love to see you finished city too.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

Nick wrote:Even if it was all made from non-lego bricks, I don't see how the quality of construction and the disgn be influenced.
It would only be influenced if you had used elements that are not existant in LEGO. I know there are some elements from clone brands that one would wish would exist from LEGO, too. Plates with studs on both sides and stuff like that. Since such parts do not exist from LEGO it's not appropriate to use it in LEGO MOCs.

"Why not?", I hear asking. Because using such parts doesn't show your skills at finding a solution for a construction problem with LEGO, but you are using the easy way by using a part that doesn't exist. The easy way is the Dark Side :-)

Bye
Jojo
I used fake Lego pieces to make the top of the main arch, nothing else (also the minifigs are, but that's not a part of construction). That's because I hardly have an y free custom pieces, all my Lego is sorted into sets. When a fake set is too deformed from the Lego original, I make it into brick fodder. So, I don't use any non-Lego designed pieces, and therefore I solve problems with the Lego arsenal entirely.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Cyclonis wrote:If it was actual Lego, then I'd say that it's good.

But sinse it isn't...
Though i really dislike clonebrands I don´t think a MOC gets "worse" because you use some "non-LEGO" parts.
Jojo wrote:It would only be influenced if you had used elements that are not existant in LEGO. I know there are some elements from clone brands that one would wish would exist from LEGO, too. Plates with studs on both sides and stuff like that. Since such parts do not exist from LEGO it's not appropriate to use it in LEGO MOCs.

"Why not?", I hear asking. Because using such parts doesn't show your skills at finding a solution for a construction problem with LEGO, but you are using the easy way by using a part that doesn't exist. The easy way is the Dark Side :-)
But I agree with that.

More on-topic: I really like the arch (triumphal or not). Well done ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Maedhros wrote:
Cyclonis wrote:If it was actual Lego, then I'd say that it's good.

But sinse it isn't...
Though i really dislike clonebrands I don´t think a MOC gets "worse" because you use some "non-LEGO" parts.
Using clone brands mixed with LEGO degrades the whole quality. Plus, it can't be called a true LEGO creation. And since this is a LEGO site, and not a building block site, this "hybrid" creation creates a sour note. It makes the creation feel...wrong.

All in my opinion, of course.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

All in my opinion, of course.
Yes.

As long as pieces are the same, it doesn't matter, it doesn't make building potential any lower :( . Besides, the only structural pieces of clone Lego I used were the big arch pieces, and because I had no spare Lego ones.
All this purism I am getting is very off-putting.
Two bits of moulded plastic hardly differ (please don't start on the quality argument).
Maybe instead of saying how awful it is to use bricks not made by lego, you could comment on the design of the MOC.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I didn´t mean to sound like a purist (though maybe I am). And I understand what you mean. But I truly liked the structure in itself (LEGO or not) and I look forward to see additions to your town :)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Nick wrote:All this purism I am getting is very off-putting.
You'd better get used to it then, because a whole lot of people here are purists, and will voice their opinion loudly, including myself.
Nick wrote:Two bits of moulded plastic hardly differ
I think they do. I find them very off-putting, to use your words.
Nick wrote:Maybe instead of saying how awful it is to use bricks not made by lego, you could comment on the design of the MOC.
Fine, then:

I find your MOC pretty uninteresting. And I don't like the red colors. The mini-arches on the inside are good, but could be better. If this wall was in gray, I would like it much better.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote: Fine, then:

I find your MOC pretty uninteresting. And I don't like the red colors. The mini-arches on the inside are good, but could be better. If this wall was in gray, I would like it much better.

Learn to control your emotions Nathan,eventhough I agree with you. It'll only lead to destruction :)

And onto the moc:
1- I really hate seeing the usage of clone bricks and it started to be common nowadays.
2-I don't know what to say about the moc itself. The red color is really not the best choice and umm... it's just an arch, nothing more.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Using clone brands mixed with LEGO degrades the whole quality. Plus, it can't be called a true LEGO creation.
Lord_of_The_LEGO also wrote:Anymore bluntly negative posts with no useful content will be deleted.
Now, if I remember correctly, comments on a creation should be limited to the creation itself - not the materials used. I strongly dislike clone bricks, but that was overly harsh.

On the creation itself, it really isn't that bad. I rather do like the design and it is a good start for your first public MOC. Keep it up, and buy more Lego :wink:

JMO
Last edited by lemon_squeezer2 on Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

I think some posts here are very harsh. Remember the Megablok guy? We respected him but it seems nick gets almost flamed here. They may be clones but it doesnt make it that bad.

I think its an ok MOC with some need of improvements.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

Ok, I feel I need to justify my use of clone Lego arch pieces.
1) They fit perfectly with Lego
2) They are identical to Lego
3) They are a good colour variant (brown, for wooden framing)
4) I don't have any Lego arches that are spare
5) The fact that they aren't made by Lego doesn't influence the MOC's design (look at 2 and 1)
6) Clone Lego is an alternative with a great piece, and I am thankful to them as my budget does not support official Lego prices. I can't buy only Lego all the time.

Now please, don't attack these four little arch pieces anymore, otherwise I'll end up with my thread being locked.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:
Nick wrote:All this purism I am getting is very off-putting.
You'd better get used to it then, because a whole lot of people here are purists, and will voice their opinion loudly, including myself.
Nick wrote:Two bits of moulded plastic hardly differ
I think they do. I find them very off-putting, to use your words.
Nick wrote:Maybe instead of saying how awful it is to use bricks not made by lego, you could comment on the design of the MOC.
Fine, then:

Please don´t be so harsh, you´re judging Nick only because of four pieces. Even though I would never touch an Enlighten-brick I respect people who use them and I truly find the MOC good. Or maybe I´m just a bad builder who is easy to impress...................

I respect everyone´s opinions, including yours, but I don´t think you would have written that if no clones had been involved.
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:You'd better get used to it then, because a whole lot of people here are purists, and will voice their opinion loudly, including myself.
Including myself, which is why I will side with Nathan and say the arch is not a LEGO creation. Not to say that its bad! The whole design in grey, bley, or even tan would look nice. I also would prefer if it were thicker, Its a little scrawny. I guess I could rate it a 7/10 on the hybrid creations scale, It'd be like a 1 on a pure Lego scale.

Again, no offence meant, just constructive critisizing.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

I didn't even notice that the arches were clones!

*goes gets glasses*

Clone pieces are fine on the arch I think, but miniclones I dislike. Mr.Nick, you have no spare LEGO minfigs to use? These miniclones are quite upsetting. :(

Graynar
Last edited by Graynar on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Graynar wrote:

Of course, my opinion means practicly nothing so I'll say--have a good day!

Graynar
Graynar,
For a few weeks, I've been particulary watching you and most of your posts contain this nonsense. There are a few points to clear:
1-If you think that your post doesn't matter, then why post?
2-If you really think that you don't mean anything at all, then isn't this just a futile attempt to raise your post count?
3-If you really think that nobody cares about you, you really have some serious issues.

To general,
I'm tired of these kind of stupid and nonsense posts. I know many old members are. So could you please, PLEASE mean something in your posts?

Thank you for your time,

Yankı