Castle II (single thread)

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Castle II (single thread)

Post by DaveOhare01 »

:) Ok, ok .. one thread I'll update. *chuckle*

As always, the pictures stink -- but here is the link to section 5 of Castle II. This section is the storetoom. It's two levels and has a lot of big & small barrels, chests, etc. The lower level abuts the Guardroom, the upper will lead to stairs leading down into the dungeon.

I am thinking of calling this project The Black Falcon Citidel but I'm not sure yet. It will have a LOT of Falcons in there -- but I'm open to suggestions!

Dave
pic http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DaveO ... c01962.jpg

folder
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=143121
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Dave,

The storage area is big. I like the large staircase. The large pictures may limit how many people can see your moc. I have one question (which is on everyone's mind I am sure) how tall will this tower be? ;)

Ben
wizardnoob28
Apprentice

Post by wizardnoob28 »

hello!

:shock: great job with the storeroom. It looks very realistic.
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

Nice storeroom!!

I like all the arches you and round pillars, much more authentic than using square bricks.

I do have one question, why is part of the exterior wall cliffs and the other squared off? Are you building this tower to connect to something larger?
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Hey, cool storage room.
I like the fact it looks like a mountain from the outside, but it looks like a castle from the inside.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

architect wrote:Hi Dave,
how tall will this tower be? ;)
I wonder that too - it looks like it will be massive (which is a very cool thing).

You have a lot of barrels in there - that is sweet - maybe you should put some bigger chests into the storeroom, or some of the treasure chests (packed with something besides treasure, of course ;-)).

I was only able to see the first pic - but as before, I liked what I saw very much.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Thanks!

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Thanks for the comments! Indeed, some of the outer walls are squared off as they abut other sections of the castle. All together, there will be 12 (or 9 if I go broke on this project) 2 x 2 units. Each unit is 2 by 2 green baseplates in size.

Later today I will link up the 5 completed sections and post a picture so you can see how it goes together. When building this large, you really have to break it into sections. That allows you to A) play in all the internal rooms and B) pick the dang thing up. :)

I am planning on adding at least another 10 bricks in height to the hillsides in most areas. My goal is to create a rocky promitory which the final castle will be built on. The side not covered by water will slope down and be the ground level for a large town.

I am hoping the higest parts of the castle will be about 5 feet total in height. That will be for a few of the towers, though most of the castle will be 2-3 tall (+ the below ground levels).

Wait until you see the inlaid floors and ceilings! I am hoping that turns out as nifty as it looks in my imagination!

Thanks again
Dave
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

layout

Post by DaveOhare01 »

OK, I've shrunk the pics finally...:) Ah well. Anyway, here is an overhead shot of the layout. You can see 5 sections are done. Clockwise from the top you have: the storeroom, the guardroom, the underground dock, hillside I and the dragon's cave.

Counter-clockwise from the top will be: the Dungeon, the Catacombs, several hillsides, and next to the dragon's cave will be the Wizzard's Lair.

The two center blocks will be mostly empty -- though the section between the dragon's cave and the storeroom will have a hallway and the main stairs to the lower level.

the blank section to the far left will be the town area. I am not sure yet how high the landscape will be -- though there will def be some folks digging an escape tunnel towards the dungeon.

Finally, I can't wait for the Vikings! Sooooo blooody cool. I can see a few more thousand spent buying the main viking ship set and having those guys attack the castle. Of course, I just want to say, "what's in your wallet," but I watch too much TV.

:)

Pic of the layout -- http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DaveO ... c01967.jpg

Main folder to the project -- http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=141827
wizardnoob28
Apprentice

Post by wizardnoob28 »

are the cave walls hollow or solid brick?
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Cave Wall

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Well, I had to make the cave walls solid -- too solid actually. There will be a LOT of weight on top of these sections, and to make things worse, the lowest sections like the underground dock, have huge air spaces. So, in order to support the rest of the castle, I built 'em solid.

Of course, now I'm out of black brick. *chuckle* No worries! 2,000 on order already!

Dave
wizardnoob28
Apprentice

Post by wizardnoob28 »

i don't know if this sounds geeky or nerdy, but your work has inspired me to make some little MOC's like a storeroom. and yes, that is a compliment.
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Cool

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Cool! Well, we are all nerds at heart! *chuckle* I will be needing to build a town -- so if you or anyone else wants to send me pics or designs for small village houses, I will build them and give you (or whomever) full credit!
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

Good job Dave. And about the town houses, you might want to check out Brickshelf out. Type "tudor houses" or "medieval village" into the search bar and enjoy :)
FUBU
Peasant

Post by FUBU »

blah
Last edited by FUBU on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen Goan
Freeman

Post by Queen Goan »

This is quite the layout you're working on. Very impressive and I'm going to have to go back to your brickshelf pages and have a look in detail when I have the time. I love all the detail I'm seeing in the interior.

I know the first thing my husband would say if he were sitting here beside me is, "Ooo, look, a Shimano storage tray! Where'd he get that? Does he ride?" :lol: Me: bricks on the brain. My husband: bikes on the brain.