Colossal Castle Contest III

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

Post by Hothir Ethelnor »

I was planning on entering a large Trebuchet
and I wondered could I put it on a 32x32 baseplate
and put part of a castle wall on another 32x32 baseplate
then put them apart from each other for a siege scene?
or do the baseplates have to be attached to enter it in the
siege catagory.
"The lad parried it, and leaping back, struck at the horse's leg. The animal fell instantly, and as he did so Archie struck full on the helm of Sir John Kerr" Excerpt from, In Freedoms Cause by G.A Henty
Stone Goblin
Bailiff

Post by Stone Goblin »

:?: I'm building a dungeon with a boobytrap within the interior, but I have a lever on the outside just for me to set off and reset the trap. I was wondering if I can have this lever on the outside limit zone walls?

The trap can be set off without the lever but would be impossible to reset the trap without it.
My MOCpages:[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/2746[/url]

Our store(Peppermint Pig and I)
LibertyBRICK:[url]http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Stone_Goblin[/url]
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

I have another Question. Does every Piece in my creation have to be a lego piece? Or can I have a non lego
sling on my trebuchet.
"The lad parried it, and leaping back, struck at the horse's leg. The animal fell instantly, and as he did so Archie struck full on the helm of Sir John Kerr" Excerpt from, In Freedoms Cause by G.A Henty
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Is the room meant to be designed as a Castle room or can it be a Lego Castle room? ie, a certain faction based room.
It is meant to be a castle room, not a faction room. Of course if your castle belongs to the falcons, lions, etc, some of their banners and shields could be displayed around the room. Really we will be grading on the small details of rooms, not which awesome accessories a person has.
I was planning on entering a large Trebuchet
and I wondered could I put it on a 32x32 baseplate
and put part of a castle wall on another 32x32 baseplate
then put them apart from each other for a siege scene?
or do the baseplates have to be attached to enter it in the
siege catagory.
This is a good question that I want to talk to the other admins about. Normally we would want the baseplates attached. But in this case you are using a long range siege weapon so we may allow them to be separated just for projectile throwing siege weapons.
I'm building a dungeon with a boobytrap within the interior, but I have a lever on the outside just for me to set off and reset the trap. I was wondering if I can have this lever on the outside limit zone walls?
Can you edit out the lever with a program like gimp or photoshop? That is my recommendation.
I have another Question. Does every Piece in my creation have to be a lego piece? Or can I have a non lego
sling on my trebuchet.
You can use cloth and string for slings, sails, ropes, etc. Using bricks that arent LEGO would not be ok, except for custom accessories in the custom figure category.

Ben E.
Contest Admin
Snap Dracone
Freeman

Post by Snap Dracone »

Forgive me if I sound impatient, but this is now the third time I'm asking this... Could someone please answer it this time?
A while ago (several months at least), I uploaded a teaser picture of a castle I had built to Brickshelf, just of a small and digitally-darkened portion of the MOC (so it didn't show much of it at all). I never posted this on CC or anywhere else, nor did I ever get around to uploading any other pictures, so would this MOC be allowed as an entry or not?
...Anyone?
What's the point of having a cake if you're not going to eat it?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

A while ago (several months at least), I uploaded a teaser picture of a castle I had built to Brickshelf, just of a small and digitally-darkened portion of the MOC (so it didn't show much of it at all). I never posted this on CC or anywhere else, nor did I ever get around to uploading any other pictures, so would this MOC be allowed as an entry or not?
If it was darkened and could not be seen, and if you changed it later, that would probably be ok. It sounds like nooone will recognize it so you should enter it.

Ben
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

I have another question,
I recently fixed and painted a set of the original classic armor however when I painted it I painted it a silver color
would I be able to include this armor in the castle interior
catagory (I was building an armoury and this is the only breastplate piece I have) or would it be banned because
it is not its original color.
Kanduu
Laborer

Post by Kanduu »

Finally getting around to asking my question...

I have a castle with no side towers or interior buildings; I would consider it more of a fortress. It does have extensive landscaping, but would it be better to put this in the Misc. category, rather than the Castle category?

Also, unfortunately, I put one picture of this castle up on my website before Nov. 1, but I had not finished the landscaping (actually, I still haven't), and I've decided to add another tower thing. I'm pretty sure no one really looks at my 'site here, so since I didn't put it on here or Brickshelf, I figured it was worth a shot to ask.

So my questions: what category (you can see a pic on that site link), and can I even post it.

Awesome prizes, by the way, thanks guys for donating.
"Go Pokes!" :)
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Are creations from other parts of the World OK? Like India, China or Japan...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Kanduu
Laborer

Post by Kanduu »

Ok, I don't think it's been mentioned. Just to clarify:

For the siege scene, does it actually have to be two 32x32 (or smaller) plates, or can it be a combination of the 2048 studs? Like, say, a 32x32, a 16x32, and and two 16x16s, set up in a square, or almost-square. Or is it better to just have a long rectangle?

What combinations of plates are allowed?
"Go Pokes!" :)
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Ok, this is something I think I know the answer to, but better safe than entry not accepted.

Does the entry have to be minifig scale? Can it be a miniture or a larger-than-minifig creation?

Thanks,
Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I have another question,
I recently fixed and painted a set of the original classic armor however when I painted it I painted it a silver color
would I be able to include this armor in the castle interior
catagory (I was building an armoury and this is the only breastplate piece I have) or would it be banned because
it is not its original color.
This is probably ok. However if you are making a armoury it would be good to have more than one piece of armor in it.
I put one picture of this castle up on my website before Nov. 1, but I had not finished the landscaping (actually, I still haven't), and I've decided to add another tower thing.
The admins will have to discuss this but it probably will not be allowed. Some other people have tried to enter creations they put online before Nov. 1st and we have not allowed them. So it would not be fair to make exceptions, especially when the castle was already more or less complete.
Are creations from other parts of the World OK? Like India, China or Japan...
Yes if they fit in the correct time period. LEGO Castle has mainly focused on European Medieval times and so will our contest. However a very good Eastern medieval moc (Byzantine, Chinese, etc) could win in a category.
For the siege scene, does it actually have to be two 32x32 (or smaller) plates, or can it be a combination of the 2048 studs? Like, say, a 32x32, a 16x32, and and two 16x16s, set up in a square, or almost-square. Or is it better to just have a long rectangle?
A 32x64 rectangle or smaller would be best. You can use smaller baseplates but do not build your scene outside of the 32x64 rectangle.
Does the entry have to be minifig scale? Can it be a miniture or a larger-than-minifig creation?
Every category should be minifigure scale with the exception of miscellaneous. It is not easy to grade a micro scale ship vs a minifig one. Make the admins lives easier by building in one scale. Thanks ;)

Ben E.
Contest Admin
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

I do have more than one Helmet however the breastplate is the only one I have, and an armoury was more for storing weapons than armour.
Stone Goblin
Bailiff

Post by Stone Goblin »

Can I have images that are 600 x 800 pixels?
My MOCpages:[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/2746[/url]

Our store(Peppermint Pig and I)
LibertyBRICK:[url]http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Stone_Goblin[/url]
Lord Mikal
Archer

Post by Lord Mikal »

I totally messed up my Siege Scene entry, nameley by including non-lego and other custom parts all over the place. :?
May I remove the offending pieces, re-take the pictures and upload them with the same filenames as the already submitted pictures, or do I have to re-enter the whole thing and have you delete the previous entry?
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mikal1]My Brickshelf[/url]
Azure, a saltire cantoned with a star in chief and in base and two crescents addorsed in the flanks, argent.