Creatures: what else? Bonus Round

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
The Green Knight
Reeve

Creatures: what else? Bonus Round

Post by The Green Knight »

Evenin’ folks. I’ve got some MOCs for you to look at today, but first a word of introduction. If you know me, you know that I’m a big supporter of -as Bruce would say- brick built beasts, or (since we all like abbreviations and initials so much) BBB. This year I was disappointed to see that there was no beasts category in the CCC.<-see what I mean about initials- Now this is not a protest against those in charge of the contest. I’m sure they have their reasons and were nice enough to supply a Miscellaneous category for the use of beast builders.

This however, while allowing for classic castle creature creations (CCCC ok I’ll stop) doesn’t encourage them in the way a Beasts category would. Therefor, I have taken it upon myself to encourage beast building at large by posting fifteen new creature creations of my own. My old digital camera broke down a while back you see, so my mocs have been piling up, unposted. I have yet to complete photographing all of them yet and not wanting to clog up the Mocs board with fifteen different threads I’ve decided keep it in here, adding them to this post as I get them into the computer. So, without much more ado here they are. Enjoy… And remember- Build bricks. Build beasts.
~
The Gargoyle.

Image changed to thumbnail link by moderator. Do not post images larger than 400x300 pixels in the forums. Thanks.

This moc was originally inspired by Nathan’s (Lord_Of_The_Lego) gargoyle way back when. Just shows you how long it’s been waiting to be picturized. Now then, first an etymology lesson:

The “gar” part of gargoyle comes from the same word we get gargle from and means to spew stuff outa your mouth. Ok maybe I’m paraphrasing. It’s been a while since I read that article. Anyway, the “gar” is applicable because all gargoyles are really, are fancy (and often scary) waterspouts, made to direct rain water away from the stone work of the building. In the beginning there were both Gar-boys and Gar-girls, but the boys were forgotten over time and well… when you sit on da coyb on toydy toyd street watchin’ da boyds choyp… pretty soon Gar-girls become gargoyles.

Also of note, not all disgusting gothic sculptures were gargoyles. Grotesques were also used in architecture during that time. Stone, ugly, and yet not gargoyles because they lacked the water belching design of true Gar- boys and girls.

Now, about the moc: It has 31 articulation points and 16 dark grey minifig hands. I love minifig hands by the way. The best part of the moc in my opinion would be the hips. For the longest time I was having trouble figuring out how to get them right. When I did finally get them right it felt like a brake through. Of course for all I know someone else has already thought of this, but just in case I took a picture of it in hopes that it might end up helping some other beast builders.
~
The Bird

As much as I love moveable, articulate creatures with lots of detail, sometimes it’s cool to see one that’s a little more simple.

Enter the bird.
This was one of my first lego creatures and you can tell right away it’s made out of bricks. No inventive techniques here, just good old fashioned easily to duplicate fun. Not too cool, but very nostalgic for me.
~
The Minotaur

Yes the minotaur. I know we’ve done this before, but I couldn’t leave my bull boy without hooves so I fiddled around and now we have…The Big Minotaur.
He uses the same hip construction as the gargoyle. A technique I experimented with on a lot of the creatures I made afterward.
~
The Satyr
Well, what can I say? I know you’re thinking he looks just like the minotaur only with a minifig head. And, yeah he pretty much is. And there you have it folks.
~
The Fuzzy-man

When I make creatures I usually try to give them a little bit of personality. Some are easier then others and I don’t always succeed. That said, I think I’m pretty satisfied with the Fuzzy-man. He’s based, in concept, around the indian myth of the yeck, with looks based on a little, grog-like drawing I did once. I think he’s related to the islanders somehow…though I’m not sure how.
~
The Birdman
When you’re making things that don’t exist it’s usually not long before your stockpile of mythical beasts starts to run low. And if you want something new you can either make it up yourself or go looking for inspiration. And who better to go to then the guys who get paid to make up monsters. That’s right, dungeons and dragons. And there it so happens, is where I found inspiration for my Bird-man.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_ ... _PG142.jpg
~
The Myconid
Another creature inspired by DnD with an awesome TWO points of articulation!!!!! Ok maybe four but that’s stretching it. Hey, it’s still more then a real mushroom has.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_g ... 620_90.jpg
~
The Yak-man
Move over Minotaur, there’s a new bovine bruiser in town. Meet the yak man, another DnD inspiration.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_g ... 20_126.jpg
The sword had a different hilt design originally, but I changed it when boses showed us the minifig hand version. Kudos to him. Did I mention that I love minifig hands? I really do.
~
The Zombie
This Moc, the cleaver Zombie, breaks the pattern established in all the mocs I’ve displayed here so far, and in more ways then one. Unlike any you’ve seen here so far and any you will see coming up, it’s simply monstrous in relation to your average minifig. It also brakes standard in style.

You see, usually when I make monsters I try to keep it real. Like something that could actually be taken for a real creature if you met it in some remote forest. A zombie isn’t anything like that. In the context of fantasy it would likely be the product of some evil wizard’s dark magic. Undead. A group of monsters I don’t really find that compelling compared to the beasts that can actually sustain their own existence.

So like I say, I usually don’t do much in this area, but…after being inspired by something from warcraft (not sure what it was called) I decided to build this zombie. I think his the story is that he was sewn together from many different dead guys and then animated to go be evil and harass the living.

Still, whatever may be said about this lack of animal-ness, it must be noted that building him was a BLAST. It was unbelievably refreshing to be able to make something and not have to worry about making it look good. Indeed, the whole object was to make it look totally disgusting. What I also enjoyed was not being forced to make uniform limbs. I mean, if he’s been sewn together from who knows what, then his right hand probably wouldn’t have anything in common with his left one. Ya, it was a lot of fun.
~
The Parrot
This is Crow the Parrot. He’s supposed to be part of anthromorphic (<— I think that’s the right word) pirate crew I’m developing. I haven’t commandeered a ship for them yet, so I guess they’re treading water right now. But soon… Anyway, you’ll be seeing the rest of the crew (apart from the surgeon, who is yet to be finished) over the next few updates.

Crow is the look out on the ship, stationed in the- you guessed it- crow’s nest. He’s supposed to have a saber, but I seem to have misplaced it at the moment. Best remedy that soon.
~
The Turtle
Meet Mr. Hashwater the helmsman. Slow and steady, he directs the ship through fair and foul with a firm flipper on the wheel. Being a sea turtle, he’s quite good at swimming and very at home in the ocean. He’s an old salt too, though in very good shape for a ninety-five year old.
~
The Sea Rat
Allow me to introduce Wormtailer the water rat. He’s a slippery one, that Wormtailer. Sneaky and sly, this sea rat is the perfect creature for spying and thieving undetected. The snitch that every ship needs.
~
The Crocodile
This is Brutus. A salt water croc. Great for doing any heavy lifting or any heavy brawling for that matter. Best not to mess with him. A terror above and beneath the waves.
~
The Chimp
Every ship needs a cook and this chimp completes our animal crew nicely. A good sort of amiable chap, but heaven help the creature who tries to snitch a taste before he’s finished the dish.
~
The Juvenile Dragon
Fun fact of the day: The design of the bull head, used for the minotuar earlier in this post was not originally intended for such. Originally, it was a dragon head. This dragon’s head. The juvenile dragon (no offence Anthony) was designed before any of the others in the post except for, of course, the bird.
~
Bonus Round:

When I said that I had fifteen new creatures for you at the beginning of this thread, I meant that I only had fifteen ready for presentation. In the time between then and now I acquired a few more pieces that were needed to complete another one of my creatures. You can find him below, along with instructions for the Gargoyle and another, slightly related moc.
~
The Dracotaur
This is, I think A really neat idea for a creature. Once again created by DnD. I probably had the worst time finding parts for this guy then any other one on this thread. Especially the tail pieces.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii ... /82984.jpg
~
The Red Diamond Knights vs. The Creatures
A while back, Classic-Castle hosted a chess building contest in honor of that new chess set TLC produced. Well, I went about making my own board and pieces, but as providence would have it, my camera broke down right after I finished construction. Now at last, it has been photographed and uploaded to brickshelf.

What does this have to do with creatures you ask? Well in my world –Boaristad as it happens to be called- the good guys, known as the Red Diamond Knights, happen to live in the middle of a creature infested forest. Anyway, to make a long story short, the knights are always in conflict with the creatures and that’s what I decided to base the chess set on.

As for function, I played a game with my younger brother and it worked quite well. Aside from the fact that I nearly lost the game due to a piece mix up. He was playing for the whites and I thought his bishop was a pawn.
~
Well folks, that’s all I’ve got. I hope you’ve enjoyed this post made to promote a little beast building. After all, who knows what creatures are crawling around in your head, just waiting to be shown to the world. Until next time, this is Micah Berger: Monster Builder- signing out
Last edited by The Green Knight on Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Thrall1138
Freeman

Post by Thrall1138 »

Nice! The gun as the bottem jaw and the use of mini fig hands is awesome. Good work. :D
My Brickshelf Gallery: [url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Thrall1138[/url]
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Pretty cool! Your use of minifig hands and pistols is very impressive.

Josh

Edit: the hip design is sweet! Looks very good and it didn't jump out at me, blended right in...
Last edited by JoshWedin on Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

woow, man, you are a very developed builder. the way you use bricks is awesome. Your orc and cyclope are also very cool.
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey Micah,

Sorry about the absense of a creature feature. We try to vary up the categories each year to encourage new ideas. However, I do hope you enter a couple of your beasts in the miscelaneous category.

On the gargoyle - wow! This stands beside your troll(?) and your bear as your best works. The hip idea is great and I love the head.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
The Green Knight
Reeve

Thanks for the coments guys. More to come...
EDIT
Bruce N H wrote:Sorry about the absense of a creature feature. We try to vary up the categories each year to encourage new ideas. However, I do hope you enter a couple of your beasts in the miscelaneous category.
Ah, that’s alright Bruce. I’m just incurably pro-creature, that’s all. But I thought Mods weren't allowed to enter. Of course that's only in the gaming fourm so maybe could I still do it? Hmmm....

Ok, enough of that!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

The Green Knight wrote:Thanks for the coments guys. More to come...
EDIT
Bruce N H wrote:Sorry about the absense of a creature feature. We try to vary up the categories each year to encourage new ideas. However, I do hope you enter a couple of your beasts in the miscelaneous category.
Ah, that’s alright Bruce. I’m just incurably pro-creature, that’s all. But I thought Mods weren't allowed to enter. Of course that's only in the gaming fourm so maybe could I still do it? Hmmm....
They're letting the full-fledged Mods like Yours Truly enter... Clearly, we aren't worthy enough to ascend the hallowed halls of "build nothing".
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Formendacil wrote:They're letting the full-fledged Mods like Yours Truly enter... Clearly, we aren't worthy enough to ascend the hallowed halls of "build nothing".
What's so hallowed about that? :roll:

Anyway, Micah...WOW!

Those are amazing! The way the gargoyle is put together really interesting. I really, really like the minotaur. Makes me want to make a Bricklink order and build my own army! :twisted:

Blogged!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
The Green Knight
Reeve

Heyhey, it's my RP buddies. Thanks for stopping by guys.
Formendacil wrote:They're letting the full-fledged Mods like Yours Truly enter... Clearly, we aren't worthy enough to ascend the hallowed halls of "build nothing".
Hmmm, well then I guess the question then is which two?

More to come guys.

Ok, enough of that!
Stone Goblin
Bailiff

Post by Stone Goblin »

Very cool creatures. :)
I especially like the gargoyle even though the head looks more like a wolf's or dragon's head. Don't gargoyles have humanoid heads with pointy ears.
Very scary looking. :twisted:

The bird reminds me of a baby chocobo from Final Fantasy. Very cool simple design.

Love the minotaur. I wonder what a bunch of them would look like on a battlefield fighting humans.

The satyr scares me in a freaky way.

Good work, Green Knight. :D
Adding your picks to my folder filled with other peoples' mocs for ideas.
My MOCpages:[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/2746[/url]

Our store(Peppermint Pig and I)
LibertyBRICK:[url]http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Stone_Goblin[/url]
BuilderQ
Laborer

Post by BuilderQ »

The Birdman, Minotaur, and Satyr display an interesting figure construction which surpasses the minifig in articulation, and even seems to have more realistic proportions. I'd like to see a regular human made in this fashion!
KennDoubleN
Villein

Post by KennDoubleN »

Dang, that minotaur is awesome.
Swiftrat
Gong Farmer

Post by Swiftrat »

Wow! Thar gargoyle is awesome! :shock: I'd love to build one - did you make a record of instructions on how to build him? :D
[url=http://www.evoker.net/~swiftrat/dragonhall/]LEGO Vikings: Dragonhall Forums[/url]
The Green Knight
Reeve

Stone Goblin wrote:Very cool creatures. :)
I especially like the gargoyle even though the head looks more like a wolf's or dragon's head. Don't gargoyles have humanoid heads with pointy ears.
Very scary looking. :twisted:
I'm sure gargoyles come in all sorts of designs, but I think as a general rule the people-faced ones were Grotesques and the long necked ones were Gargoyles.

I think. Who knows.
Love the minotaur. I wonder what a bunch of them would look like on a battlefield fighting humans.
I don't know, but I'm sure we'll find out when Nathan gets his army built. :wink:
BuilderQ wrote:The Birdman, Minotaur, and Satyr display an interesting figure construction which surpasses the minifig in articulation, and even seems to have more realistic proportions. I'd like to see a regular human made in this fashion!
Hmm I never really tried that. The legs would have to be changed...Maybe something a guy could work on.
Swiftrat wrote:Wow Thar gargoyle is awesome! :shock: I'd love to build one - did you make a record of instructions on how to build him? :D
Ah, I'll see what I can do :)

Thanks for giving me your thoughts guys. More to come.

Ok, enough of that!
JacobS
Peasant

Post by JacobS »

WOW... AWESOME... NOT WORTHY...

Those things are Awesome, I really like the Fuzzy-man, I'd love to see him "Hermitizing" (that would be "hermit" in verb form) in a cave somewhere thowing large rocks at all of the little minifig kids