CCC3: Medieval Cog

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
cnelson
Laborer

CCC3: Medieval Cog

Post by cnelson »

Here's my entry for the CCC3 Vehicle category, a medieval cog (pics = links):

Gallery when public
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

O_O me like you have way to many brown bricks!!!
-Alan-
good times
Lord Mikal
Archer

Post by Lord Mikal »

Wow. That is very impressive, certainly some of the best slope use I've seen. The back could have been done a bit more evenly, but I'm not sure exactly how...

The brick-built sail looks nice. My favorite part of the whole thing, though, is the ladder going up the mast. Those pieces look very cool all strung together like that.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mikal1]My Brickshelf[/url]
Azure, a saltire cantoned with a star in chief and in base and two crescents addorsed in the flanks, argent.
Stone Goblin
Bailiff

Post by Stone Goblin »

Interesting design.
First off the things I don't like.
The squared mass, I think a round one would look better. I like the building technique you did on the crow's nest but it looks too bulky IMO. The ship seems a little too thin and the sail seems kind of small and lacks rigging. Also where is the steering?

Things I like.
The storage slots look cool and the front/back have a very nice design. :)
Even though I prefer some fancy coloring, I like the almost all brown pallette for the ship, realistic but boring, like the real thing. Very interesting way of building for the cog ship.
Good work Cnelson :)
My MOCpages:[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/2746[/url]

Our store(Peppermint Pig and I)
LibertyBRICK:[url]http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Stone_Goblin[/url]
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Wow Carl, I am really empressed to see how it turned out, hope you win! And Nice curving on the nest.

LR
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

I think the sail looks a little small. I also agree that the square mast would look better if it were round.

But over all, this is a very interesting MOC. Great work.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Cool!

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Cool! Very nice on the SNOT technnique! I especially like the open view withough the sides on the ship! Nice work!
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

Thanks for the comments everyone!

One of my early versions had a mast built out of 2 x 2 round bricks, and I found that even with technic axles down the middle it really didn't have much strength. Hence the plates through the deck of the ship for support, and the sail attachment method and ladder on the back were born of my methodology. What I would really like to use is the 2 x 2 x 3 1/3 octagonal brick:

but of course that's not available in brown. What I plan on experimenting with is the curved top 2 x 2 brick:

on the port and starboard side of the mast, but I'll have to order some...

What I don't like is the blockiness of the transitions between different layers. I think it looks fine on the front because it makes the ship look constructed out of overlayed planks (very appropriate for the model), but gives a stairstep effect on the back.

Oh well, I keep reminding myself that making any MOC based on the real world is an approximation. I'd go crazy trying to make an exact model...

Carl
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

That is very tall! You'll make a serious profit with all the merchandise that can hold...

God Bless,

Nathan
Magnus
Artisan

cog

Post by Magnus »

Very nice! Cool to seethat we don't have to rely on expensive and hard to find boat hulls to make great looking large ships.