Castle Bleydenstien for your Review

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Jim
Apprentice

Castle Bleydenstien for your Review

Post by Jim »

Howdy Folks! Admins, no peeks until after 1/16!!!!! Go away :wink:

In the rush to complete the CCC3 entries, I did not post Castle Bleydenstien for your review earlier.

I incorporated a few new (for me) techniques, and I would appreciate your feedback on the effectiveness of each.

Image I used SNOT on the gatehouse;

Image I used 2x2 tiles overlapping 3/4 for a slate roof;

ImageI incorporated decorative window openings;

Image and arrowloops using small 1x1 SNOTed slopes.

Also, please let me know your opinions on other parts of the architecture that are effective, or not so.

Thanks for your review. :D

Jim
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

Looks great. I especially love the windows.
-Alan-
good times
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

It's a very nice work.

I saw the arrowloops and window openings before you postetd your review and they gave me some inspiration.

If I only would get more time to build with my bricks...

I prefer the use of the castle-wall-piece Image. I like the style of the walls with this piece. Yes, I know, it's not so realistic, but this is my opinion.

regards,
jens
The Hag
Freeman

Post by The Hag »

Even though we compete :D , i still will say i like the details on your castle...

One thing that immediately struck my attention though, were the arrowloops. Shouldnt those slopes be the other way around ? or am i mistaken...

Anyways ... looks nice .. could use a bit more color, but who am i to say that :lol:
Good lucK to you in the contest !
Moroder
Apprentice

Post by Moroder »

Jim, your gate is a great idea. Makes your set good-looking, but the windows are what makes yor creation really cool. Great design!
I think that the colors are nice; I would prefer a little bit less color at the back roof.
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

I love the roof tiling, I think I shall borrow that innovation. If that's ok.

Hag is right about the snotted arrow holes. They are facing the wrong way. As is, someone attacking the castle could fire at the window and because of the slopes the arrow will easily skid inside. This needs to be reversed to give greater protection to the defender, and also allow the defender more room to angle a shot from within. I might suggest the same thing for the crennelations on the tower. Turn those pointed peices 180 degrees. It will present a flat surface to the attackers, and give the defenders better angles to work with.

Otherwise I think this is a wonderful castle. It's got lots of new innovations but still retains the feel of the old style lego castles. I think the only other thing I'd like to see on it is more color. Banners, flags, heraldry of some sort displayed.
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

Nice castle. My question is; were are the stairs to go up the towers?
further, The Hag is right,They are facing the wrong way. Many people make that mistake.
But it is a nice castle, the windows are cool.
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

Finally, someone picks up on the arrow loops. Reverse them :wink: .

This might be a dumb question, but is the castle Bley?

HenrytheV
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

This is a great castle. I enjoyed the 3 pictures you provided in your entry, as well as these. Like someone said in a post entitled 'What is your favorite CCCIII entry' the gate is the best part. I admit, its an inspiration to adjust my portcaulis :roll:
Jim
Apprentice

Post by Jim »

Thanks for your encouraging words, and your thoughtful critique. I tried the arrow slits reversed, I just really did not like the way it looked. Due to the consensus, I will do them differently next time...unless I build a post medieval castle, where defense was not as importance as good looks. :D

Jim
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

The snotty gatehouse is nice but more impressive in my eyes is the overall scale. I like the semitry and feel of a small (in real terms) castle... Thanks for sharing and well done on incorporating new to you techniques (I know how hard that can be...)

God Bless,

Nathan
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Great castle Jim! I love this castle, it's like your old Mini Moc Contest Entry only in minifig scale. My favorite single part of the whole castle would have to be those slate roof tiles, I thought too much about it, but it looks great in that colour scheme. That and the SNOT work is very well done.

Keep up the great work and good luck in the contest! :D
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

This castle has some really nice architectural features.
I love the unique design of the gatehouse and towers and the overall castle looks great.
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]