A new batch of creations (Updates complete)

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
BuilderQ
Laborer

Post by BuilderQ »

Quite a collection! My favourite has to be the wood elf, er, Nelf. Minifig hands really are useful.
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Mike Viper wrote:Cool, I like the elehipogoribunkey :P Your gargoyle thing is sweet, how you make heads is amazing, I'll never be able o do that! I hope I can eventualy. So you draw these out? is that how you know how well the heads look? I'm still with good old trial and error.
I think the way it happened in theis case was-- I researched some Gargoyle pics online to see how the horns and stuff worked together with the face and then began experimenting with minifig hands and one by one modified plate tiles until I got something close to what I wanted. Somewhere in the experiment phase I discovered the elf face technique, which then led into the goblin and hag. I'm still experimenting with it, actually...

The "elehipogoribunkey" :wink: actually did begin with a concept drawing of a bunch of animals smushed together. Sometimes I do my own concept art like with the Thumper or Puddleglum. Sometimes I find other people's art to draw from like with the Ibixian. Sometimes it's both, like with my cyclops... Mostly the only times I don't use stuff like that is when it's totaly new, like Spikes, or when I've got such a clear vision of what I want that I don't need it. The ork was like that.

Apart from that, I'd like to say it's all aquired skill, but the fact is, I'm sure it's almost all dumb luck. I mean, the helpful things I've stumbled onto just while messing around with legos is astounding! The ork for example was almost entirely created by fluke. And I still don't know how I figured out that a Nelf head could could be wedged into a hat. :? :|

Anyway, I'm sure that's not even close to being helpful, but really- that's the way it is.
smcginnis wrote:These are really cool, I can't decide if Thumper or the Grotesque (great name, btw) is my favorite. The Ork is great too, it looks like a chibi version of your brute ork (which I'm sure you intended it to).
Well, I'm not sure I know what chibi means, but they are supposed to be from the same stock. :)
wunztwice wrote:Sad to see the end of this creature parade (for now, I'm sure).
Well, you could always start your own :D Oh wait, you are! :P :wink:
wunztwice wrote:I really love all your stuff here and hope to see some more sometime. Thanks for sharing!
Hmm might be a while. The reason they all come out at once is that I never have all the right pieces and I hate to make Bricklink orders until there's a big enough shopping list to justify it. :roll:
Luís wrote:Great figs! I love the inovating way of using the levers.
Well, Spikey's leg design isn't wholely original for me, but I am with you all the way in the love of lever inovation.... so to speak :wink:
BuilderQ wrote:Quite a collection! My favourite has to be the wood elf, er, Nelf. Minifig hands really are useful.
Hehe. No kidding. :twisted: I love hands.
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

how did you stick the goblins legs on?
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

These are amazing! I have to say the ibaxian is my fav but they are all great. You have a real talent for making things like this. Great job!
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Whoops, I should've responded to this earlier.
Mike Viper wrote:how did you stick the goblins legs on?
I assume you're talking about the creation named goblin, correct? And not the one called sneak. Well the goblin's legs are done just the same as the nelves. You know those click hinges that the legs consist of have a little tiny slit down each side of them and it's just big enough to fit the smallest sized minifig plume through. See, you put it through so that the tip of the plume pops out through the axle hole on top. Here's a good example. Careful though, it isn't easy to get out so don't put it in unless you're sure. Anyway, it leaves you with a little knob on the side of the click hinge which goes into the hole of the 1x1 with studs on the sides.

Also, the ankle joint is going to be pretty loose so you might want to squeeze the two fingers on the hinge together or do some grinding to increase friction.

Actually, friction is what holds a lot of the goblin and nelves together. To get the nelve head into the hat you have to turn up the nose, put on the hat and then tip the nose back down to make it snug. Also, the ears have to be positioned just right in order to get the lever which acts as the neck to keep from falling out. It's...kinda tricky.
The dark tide wrote:These are amazing! I have to say the ibaxian is my fav but they are all great.
You know I'm actually surprised how many people liked the ibixian. Must be something about those hoofers Thanks for the feedback. :D
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
Ayden
Apprentice

Post by Ayden »

Hey this topic was posted on my birthday! Well your creations are amazing. I especialy like the ixbian, and puddle glum(hes my favorite character too next to prince rillian! or was it tiran... whicievr is form the last battle :D ) although Im still unsure about his head, I yihnk I ouldve gone with a minifig head but that may look too fat. IDK, great job though hope to see more from you in the future. :D