A new batch of creations (Updates complete)

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
The Green Knight
Reeve

A new batch of creations (Updates complete)

Post by The Green Knight »

Alright, where should I begin? Greetings, salutations… My name is Micah Berger aka The Green Knight. I’m a castler and I have some creations to share with you today. Good? Good.

Now normally I like to build creatures. And when I say creatures I mean the wild, unintelligent, beasts that don’t rely on magic or wizards to sustain or create them. Pure, natural, creatures you might say.

At the moment, however, I find myself with a bunch of “creatures” mostly consisting of the humanoid sort so widely utilized in pretty much anything fantasy these days. It’s really weird for me.
~
Anyway, here’s our first creature. Creature, mind you, nothing humanoid here, just a crab. The last member of my anthropomorphic pirate crew. Crab is the onboard surgeon of the ship, fitted out with a giant claw, perfect for those necessary amputations. Although, unfortunately for the rest of the crew, crabs are the only ones who can re-grow lost limbs.
~
Well, that last one wasn’t very castlely was it? Unless your heros are constantly battling giant crabs in your world, that is. So anyway, here’s something a bit more castle like.
The Ibixan. Not an original idea but a cool one none the less.
~
As they drew nearer, the figure turned its head and showed them a long, thin face with rather sunken cheeks, a tightly shut mouth, a sharp nose and no beard. He was wearing a high pointed hat, like a steeple, with an enormously wide brim. The hair, if it could be called hair, which hung over its large ears, was greeny-gray and each lock was flat rather then round so that they were like tiny reeds. Although his body was not much bigger then a dwarf’s, he had very long legs and arms, which would’ve made him taller then most men when he stood up. The fingers of his hands were webbed like a frog’s and so were his bare feet, which dangled in the muddy water. He was dressed in earth colored clothes, which hung loose about him. His expression was solemn, his complexion, muddy and you could see at once that he took a very serious view of life.

“Puddleglum’s my name, but it doesn’t matter if you forget it. I can always tell you again.”

This creation is a homage to my very most favorite character in the Chronicles of Narnia. Puddleglum the Marshwiggle. It also somewhat resembles what I always imagined he looked like. :)

“They all say, I mean the other Wiggles all say, that I’m too flighty. Don’t take life seriously enough. If they’ve said it once they’ve said it a thousand times. ‘Pudleglum,’ they’ve said ‘your altogether too full of bobance and bounce and high spirits. You’ve got to learn that life isn’t all fricasseed frogs and eeyore pie. You want something to sober you down a bit.’ That’s what they say.”
~
The Sneak. This is the sneak. I’m not sure what else to call him really. I guess he’s some sort of goblinoid thief or assassin or something. I don’t know, but he looks sneaky so I call him the sneak.
~
By now I suspect you are beginning to see the humanoid trend I was referring to earlier. Well here’s another one. I don’t really know what to call this one. He’s kind of odd really. Some kind of spikey, beholderesque aberration or something. I don’t know…
~
Now for a change of pace. This is a Vargouille (aka flying head) another unoriginal idea. It’s what happens when you mess around too much with your green goblin helmets. This one might take a little imagination to comprehend. The mouth is still the mouth and its eyes are red. Maybe that will help.
~
Before I introduce the next two creation I would like to tell you something

I. Hate. Elves. Really, I do. They annoy me immensely. In fact I believe that every red-blooded man in the world feels the same deep inside. They just haven’t discovered their inner hatred yet.

Soooo…anyway! Knowing my own hatred for elves I was very surprised when I found myself building something closely resembling one. Thankfully I was not making elves. No no no. I was making Nelves. Nelves, in case you are wondering, are sort of like elves only without the obnoxious personalities. Naturally, it can be difficult to tell the difference between an elf and a nelf, but nelves make for much better company let me tell you.

Anyway, without further ado…here are

the wood nelf and…
the city nelf.
~
This is the hag. Honestly, I don’t know what she’s doing in here with my beasts. Having green skin doesn’t exactly make you a creature. Then again, if the nelves qualify, why not?
~
And this is the goblin. Another humanoid, made with the same technique as the nelves.
~
A while ago there was a thread on how to make orks. I wanted to answer but I didm’t have any pics to demonstrate at the time so I kept quiet. Anyway, if anyone is still looking, this is how I make orks.
P.S. I don’t usually dedicate my creatures to people, (not that anyone would want such an ‘honor’ or anything) but it just wouldn’t seem right to me if I didn’t dedicate this critter to my fellow long time Rper- The Ork. :D
~
The Grotesque. Ok so some of you may remember the gargoyle I opened up my last creature thread with a while ago. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, there’s some pics somewhere in my brickshelf folder.) Well anyway, long about that time there was some debate over how human-like a gargoyle ought to be. Of course I aim to please so I went back to the drawing board and made another one. Here it is.
~
Last but not least, I am pleased to present my very first, all original, all natural creature. That’s right! No more flying heads or pointy nosed humanoids. This guy is all beast. I like to call him the elephant-hippo-dog-gorilla-bunny monkey, or elehipogoribunkey. Actually I call him Thumper. Don’t ask me why.
~
Well, that's it folks. I'm all out of critters. Until next time- Play well-
Last edited by The Green Knight on Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:01 am, edited 8 times in total.
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

I like the Ibixan! i would've thought those horns would be far too large for something like this, but you've shown me wrong. Keep 'em coming!
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

Great! I love articuated creatures, quite a break from lego's sinlge piece creature crap. I like the axe one. Looks very cool, keep it up.
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Both look wonderful! I really like the use of the skeleton limbs and the control stick thingy for the legs of the crab. The head is very clever on the Ibixan too. Keep 'em coming! :D

~Chris Perron
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
The Green Knight
Reeve

E of Alshire wrote:I like the Ibixan! i would've thought those horns would be far too large for something like this, but you've shown me wrong.
Yeah, I thought I'd be using little horns myself until I saw the things that real ibix's sport. Woah!
Sir Terrance wrote:Great! I love articuated creatures, quite a break from lego's sinlge piece creature crap.
Heh- Preach it brother!
Sir Terrance wrote:Both look wonderful! I really like the use of the skeleton limbs and the control stick thingy for the legs of the crab.
Ah, yes. That is a very cool technique and one that I cannot take credit for. Some Spacer made it up if I remember correctly. But then my philosophy is - steal spacer's techniques as often as possible and use them for Castle. :wink: Anyway, great technique that I've used a lot as you can see.

Ok, enough of that!
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

Manb, you got more up! or the others didn't show up when I first looked. Great job! do the control sticks really hold that well? I gotta get to work to keep up, I'm almost done my dragon, but I'm stuck on the back legs. Once again, you would think, with lego bragging about thier "master model builders" that they should be able to make things at least close to this? or are they lazy?
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Spectacular, true achievments, you should be proud!

I love the goat, the marshwiggle, and the sneak the most, although the others are also very well done. The implementation of these creatures is astounding. The delacate construction using the various parts floors me.

The goat is most impressive becuase of the head and the hoofs. Puddlegum is great because that is actually alot like I imagine him too, or as close as LEGOs could get. The sneak is creazy-creapy and something I don't want to mess with...

So, I guess I'm saying very well done, thanks tons for sharing!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

These are fantastic! I'm going to cross post them to MCN where I hope some people can see that custom figs can be made with bricks, too!
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Nice work Green Knight,
I saw these over at MCN and liked them alot,so I thought I would stop by and leave you a comment here.
I really like that Ibixan and the last guy on the list,though the sneak is also very good.

Great job on all of them. :D
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

Hi green knight,

Awesome. Good idea's for the leg/arm joints, never seen that before.

I also just seen you Wood-Nelf on BS. Not to sure about "not elf"...it certainly looks like an elf to me. :lol:

I haven't out right duplicated someones creation before, but i;m giving that wood nelf a try. I'll still call it an elf though. :D

Cheers.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

Oooh, i really like this stuff. You think you can make some instructions for your Ibixian? It really looks awesome and i can't really tell how to make one by the pictures you provided us.

Erik
Suvied
Laborer

Post by Suvied »

I am not sure what that horned creature would be called either but I can easily see it as one of those monsters that live under the bed in Calvin and Hobbes. The one casual pose just strikes me as that type of humor.

The little goblin is great as well.
There is someone who is always worse off than you . . . consider my peasants for example.
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

These are really amazing. I think that the Ibixan is the best in this batch, but they're all great. I love your style of building legs. I've always been a fan of your creations, especially the bear, satyr, and big cats. Very cool stuff.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
The Green Knight
Reeve

Mike Viper wrote:Great job! do the control sticks really hold that well?
Oh yes. You actually have to warp the skelly arms a bit to get them together.
Mike Viper wrote:Once again, you would think, with lego bragging about thier "master model builders" that they should be able to make things at least close to this? or are they lazy?
Heh, I don't know anything about bragging master builders but if you want my opinion, I don't think they have as much freedom in designing sets as we do in our MOCs. For instance- I doubt they're allowed to use lever pieces with anything other then a lever base or rip hands off of minifigs to build animals. Still, it's not really any excuse when you can design brand new bricks for whatever you need. :|
wunztwice wrote:The goat is most impressive becuase of the head and the hoofs. Puddlegum is great because that is actually alot like I imagine him too, or as close as LEGOs could get. The sneak is creazy-creapy and something I don't want to mess with...
Yeah I get that vibe too. creapy! :) And yeah, I guess I am kinda pleased with the way these turned out. Thanks for the kind words man.
Recluce wrote:These are fantastic! I'm going to cross post them to MCN where I hope some people can see that custom figs can be made with bricks, too!
Hey thanks. I guess you might call some of this customizing. :wink:
Lamanda2 wrote:Nice work Green Knight,
I saw these over at MCN and liked them alot,so I thought I would stop by and leave you a comment here.
I really like that Ibixan and the last guy on the list,though the sneak is also very good.
Thanks man. Glad you like em. More on the way...
CAI wrote:I also just seen you Wood-Nelf on BS. Not to sure about "not elf"...it certainly looks like an elf to me. :lol:

I haven't out right duplicated someones creation before, but i;m giving that wood nelf a try. I'll still call it an elf though. :D
Go right ahead. That's mainly why I build these things. Oh, and about the "elf" subject- all will be explained...
erikut wrote:Oooh, i really like this stuff. You think you can make some instructions for your Ibixian? It really looks awesome and i can't really tell how to make one by the pictures you provided us.
I'll see what I can do. :wink:
Suvied wrote:I am not sure what that horned creature would be called either but I can easily see it as one of those monsters that live under the bed in Calvin and Hobbes. The one casual pose just strikes me as that type of humor.
Heh, Calvin and Hobbes. Good call. I guess he's a Hobbes-Goblin. :D
smcginnis wrote:These are really amazing. I think that the Ibixan is the best in this batch, but they're all great. I love your style of building legs. I've always been a fan of your creations, especially the bear, satyr, and big cats. Very cool stuff.
Hehe, you know sometimes I think I'm never gonna live down making that bear. Thanks for dropping by. :)

Ok, enough of that!
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

The Green Knight wrote:
erikut wrote:Oooh, i really like this stuff. You think you can make some instructions for your Ibixian? It really looks awesome and i can't really tell how to make one by the pictures you provided us.
I'll see what I can do. :wink:
Nevermind, I sat for five more minuites and I figured it out, i have my own now, altho amongst the changes I did with my verson I would suggest that you swapped the gray 1x1 plate with a white round one to make them look like teeth.

Erik