Spectacular stone church by BS user jimd

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

That tile technique is amazing! I will have to try it sometime. I still do not see how you managed to make those stain glass windows. Care to explain? This is an outstanding MOC, I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

This is a great MOC, Jim! Very detailed build.
Jim wrote:The moldings under each of the eaves are made from a double layer of jumper plates covered by a long row of 1 x n tiles.Image
And, this is an awesome building technique.... Did you come up with this, or if not, where did you see this before?

I, too, am interested in the details of your stained-glass windows... Will you please share?
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
Lord Mikal
Archer

Post by Lord Mikal »

Jim wrote:It also cuts the number of tiles required to cover a roof area, and reduces the thickness of the resulting roof.
But requires a heckuvalot of jumper bricks! (I assume you've been buying in bulk?) I agree that the quarter-overlap looks much nicer (and more realistic) than the half-overlap seen on most such roofs.

That gentle slope up to the gutters is fantastic. Actually, the gutters are pretty cool by themselves, but that amazingly long row of jumpers is such an amazing architectural accent. Wow.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mikal1]My Brickshelf[/url]
Azure, a saltire cantoned with a star in chief and in base and two crescents addorsed in the flanks, argent.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I think it looks great! I love all the jumper tiles, they give it a very unique look. The roof is a great idea, and I really like the stained glass windows.

~Chris Perron
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Awsome church Jim!
I can't think of anything to add to everyone else's replys but...I really like the church. The roof design is really cool! :o Keep building with legos and post your creations so that I can see them.
Thanks,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Jim
Apprentice

Post by Jim »

Hey thanks for all your comments!
That tile technique is amazing! I will have to try it sometime.
Thanks Dark :)
This is a great MOC, Jim! Very detailed build. And, this is an awesome building technique.... Did you come up with this, or if not, where did you see this before?
Thanks Sir Nelson :) I have not seen the tile roof technique done before, so unless my subconscience remembers it, I came up with it (maybe not first of course).
But requires a heckuvalot of jumper bricks! (I assume you've been buying in bulk?) I agree that the quarter-overlap looks much nicer (and more realistic) than the half-overlap seen on most such roofs.

That gentle slope up to the gutters is fantastic. Actually, the gutters are pretty cool by themselves, but that amazingly long row of jumpers is such an amazing architectural accent. Wow.
Thanks loads Lord Mikal :) I'm glad you like it. I have bought some of the grey jumper bricks in bulk.
I think it looks great! I love all the jumper tiles, they give it a very unique look. The roof is a great idea, and I really like the stained glass windows.
Thanks Sir Terrance :) The whole point of this MOC was to explore and demonstrate the value of the jumper plates. I really like them and believe that they can be more than a way to center an object.
Awsome church Jim!
I can't think of anything to add to everyone else's replys but...I really like the church.
Thanks Remyth, glad you enjoyed it! :)

For those of you who asked for more info on the stained glass windows,
I started a new post. The stained glass windows discussion took up too much space for this post.

Jim
chadzicz
Villein

Post by chadzicz »

good work jim, i especially like the windows + the roof (some cool use of the jumper plates there)
Jim
Apprentice

Post by Jim »

Thanks chadzicz, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm working on a tudor style tavern that also uses many jumper plates. :D

Jim
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Nice find! While I'm not particularly taken with the front view, the roof ensures that it looks excellent from angles like this one: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1826255

BTW Sorry for my long absence...buried in work.

God Bless,

Nathan
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

For something that's made of bley, I guess it's pretty good... ;)

Actually it's quite fantastic, and I'd say that even if you weren't my boss. I'm really going to have to invest in jumper plates to explore that roof trick.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

I don't know how I missed this before. I'm gonna have to explore with those jumper plates and my two x two round tiles to stretch them out for a shingle look.
Jim
Apprentice

Post by Jim »

Howdy!
Nice find! While I'm not particularly taken with the front view, the roof ensures that it looks excellent from angles like this one: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1826255
Thanks Nathan! :)
For something that's made of bley, I guess it's pretty good...

Actually it's quite fantastic, and I'd say that even if you weren't my boss. I'm really going to have to invest in jumper plates to explore that roof trick.
Thanks Tony...I sense a raise coming your way.... :wink:
I don't know how I missed this before. I'm gonna have to explore with those jumper plates and my two x two round tiles to stretch them out for a shingle look.
Thanks Ethan! I would love to see a round tile roof. :D

Jim