Haidos castle

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Totally awesome castle, Wairnie! Normally for a creation like this I'd write a pretty in-depth review about it, but there's so much detail here, that it would take me all day! I love how it's very Itou-esque, and yet also very in a style of it's own. The building-like parts remind me of what I've read about medieval towns, very crowded, and stacked every which-way. Both the main walls of the castle and the walls of the buildings in it are very open-looking, with many arches and things, and yet from the outside seems very fortified. It's a very nice way of building things. I love all the stairs everywhere, and the figs make it look very busy and lived in. Everything in this castle is amazing.

If you're the sort of person who takes MOCs apart (as I'm sure you are), it would be great to see a ruined version of this. Maybe with the walls broken down a bit, the roof rotting, the flags hanging in shreds (you could use plumes for that), the apple tree grown much larger, and a few skeletons here and there.

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Looks great! I love how the wall isn't flat and plain, but shaped and detailed, gives it character. Also, I like the design around the window here, I don't think I've seen that piece used like that before. Great overall building, and I also love the lighting in this shot. Keep it up!

~Chris Perron
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
brody
Laborer

Post by brody »

Welcome, I think you'll enjoy your time here. Congratulations on achieving a spectuacular MOC! I particularly like how you have incorporated so many roofed sections into your castle. In addition, the architectural style you've developed is very captivating and original. Could you share with us what some of your inspirations were for it?

Regards,
Brody
Jake, of the Palace Guard
Laborer

Post by Jake, of the Palace Guard »

That is seriously impressive, and your attention to detail is brilliant!!! Keep it up, I'd love to see more mocs from you...
Wairnie
Gong Farmer

Post by Wairnie »

ottoatm wrote:
Bruce N H wrote:The lighting gave some particularly interesting effects, like in this shot:

That guy looks like he must be an impressive warrior, btw, is there any backstory about him?
I agree... I actually missed this shot, but it's a beauty! Nice combination with the fig-head, helmet and especially sword... he looks very royal... but a bit sneaky. It seems like this castle is bustling with character (and characters).
Wow, you guys are all incredibly kind. Although i was pretty happy with it all in the end, actually pressing 'Submit' to post it to CC was a little nerve-wracking! Now back story... not much. The little guy's name is Prince Matthias, he's in charge (or will be when he gets old enough), right now he's a little on the mischievous side. The warrior is one of the knights who run the show, not quite sure who he is other than that. He's not necessarily bad but you'd have to say he at least has his own agenda.

Inspirations? Castle Drachenchlaf big-time, just the fantastic feel it has. Itou. Thank God for Itou!! The tower on the corner of the palace... This was a crazy scheme i dreamt up one night as i was falling to sleep and it took a long time to make it actually work technically, the roof itself, making sure the two staircases didn't look too blocky etc... Anyway this was all solved and i built the palace as i imagined it and it was a monstrosity! Bascially it had to be too high to accomodate the roofed tower but i was so set on this design for the corner tower (the idea of staircases breaking up roof sections leading to inset turrets btw is inspired by the Guarded Inn). So of course i borrowed the steepled roof design from Itou's Snow Field castle, i guess other people might have used this idea as well but that's where i saw it, and everything was ok. As for the style, i just tried to make sure every bit looked as good as i could make it making sure to avoid the big gray wall syndrome and trying to be consistent (but not too consistent). Relief work is a major technique, especially when building with gray.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Wow...holy cow...incredible! That is one impressive MOC and quite a nice intro to Classic-Castle (welcome, btw ;)). I love that corner tower, the plethora of statues, the superb landscaping...this MOC is top notch. The detailing of the walls, the roofs, the shear magnitude of it all...Awesome, sir! Also your photo editing skills are quite good. I like the backgrounds that you put in and the sparkles on the swords are fun. I think this shot is my favorite, love those pennants!

Now for the obligatory criticism, since no MOC is perfect. :) The swords hanging on the walls bug me a little bit. I had a hard time imagining them as decorative detail, they look like some squire took his buddies' weapons and hung them up out of reach. Also the shield mosaic on the palace floor is neat idea but it doesn't look quite right, probably would have looked better without it. Other than those two very minor nitpicks, this castle is a masterpiece! Can't wait to see your other creations. And to back up Bruce here, you don't need to build big all the time. Small creations are acceptable too!

Great Job!
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

wow!

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Good grief!

That's easily the best castle I've seen! Awesome!

Dave
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Superb! I love the natural type feel of the castle, the way the walls and buildings flow. Your publishing is super well done.

I really can't add that much more to what others have said but I like your inclusion of other smaller sets like 6022 and 6010 and the re-visited knight's procession.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

simply beautiful, but strategic not perfect
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Wow. :shock: Way to make an entrance!

The photography is second to none, and the MOC is covered in details. Good sized creation - not too big to be prohibitively brick-expensive, but large enough to show off your style. No big grey wall syndrome here! My favourite part is the busy landscaped courtyard.

The yellowed bricks also give a very nice worn/aged/rugged look. You've done a good job of integrating the castle wall pieces, but the yellowed ones do stand out, unfortunately...

And did I mention the awesome photography?
-Bryan
xbloodyfangs
Laborer

WOW!!!!!!!

Post by xbloodyfangs »

WOW :shock: ! This is the kind of thing I can only dream of building.
brody
Laborer

Post by brody »

Thanks for sharing your inspirations. Itou's work has been a major influence on many of us I'm sure. The stepped roofis a great solution, and has added a lot of character to your MOC, I think.

Keep up the good work.

Brody
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Whoa! 8) Now THIS is a castle! Dude, detail!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

Ristridin wrote:simply beautiful, but strategic not perfect
I've tried to find a comment to this and the one up here is perfect...

Greetings from Serbia
legobaron
Gong Farmer

Post by legobaron »

Fantastic stuff. I really like the detail with the statues and the landscaping. You've spent 8 months, I've been working on a MOC for about 2 years. Not enough time to do everything I'd like, but this is definitely inspiring.
Drew Setter