Colossal Castle Contest IV

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

So battles must be "outdoors"... are there any restrictions about things that must be present or absent? Are any of the following prohibited?
  • a battle in a cave
  • a battle underwater
  • a battle in a castle courtyard but not inside a castle building
  • a battle in a fantasy setting that can't exist (i.e. on floating rocks or something)
  • a battle in the air
I don't mean to pester the admins with questions but I'd like to enter this contest but a standard outdoor battle on typical terrain isn't my (or my brick collection's) forte.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Mr. Shiny & New wrote:So battles must be "outdoors"... are there any restrictions about things that must be present or absent? Are any of the following prohibited?
  • a battle in a cave
That would be "inside" something (the cave), so no.
Mr. Shiny & New wrote:
  • a battle underwater
How many large-scale battles have taken place under water?
Mr. Shiny & New wrote:
I'll leave that question up to Architect.
Mr. Shiny & New wrote:
  • a battle in a fantasy setting that can't exist (i.e. on floating rocks or something)
That would be crossing the line from castle fantasy to steampunk, I think. I'll await input from other admins.
Mr. Shiny & New wrote:
  • a battle in the air
See my above question regarding underwater battles.
Mr. Shiny & New wrote:I don't mean to pester the admins with questions but I'd like to enter this contest but a standard outdoor battle on typical terrain isn't my (or my brick collection's) forte.
We can't adjust every single category to fit every single person's desires.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
garraofthesand
Laborer

Post by garraofthesand »

Well, couldn't you just do a battle like one of those and enter it under miscellaneous?
Time to go nighty night mister west.

Yay Nightey nigh- ugh. ZZZZZ....
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:
Mr. Shiny & New wrote:
  • a battle underwater
How many large-scale battles have taken place under water?
So. Imagination is not encouraged? :wink:
garraofthesand
Laborer

Post by garraofthesand »

Lol, gave me an idea, medieval aquaraiders!
Time to go nighty night mister west.

Yay Nightey nigh- ugh. ZZZZZ....
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Mr. Shiny & New wrote:
Battles in courtyards or on battlements are fine and encouraged. Your other requests are too fantastic and would belong in the miscellaneous category.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Question:

Do my entries have piece exposure limitation? For instance: I had posted a custom helmet on CC and I wanted to use it for a minifig entry. Could I do that?

This time I'm entering.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Trying to help clarify -
Build a battle scene with two unique factions , terrain, and vegetation, You may but are not required to included siege engines and fixed fortifications. Scenes should fit on 2 32x32 baseplates or smaller. Ideas include a castle siege, an ambush, or an invasion.

Seems like everything is spelled out clearly, to me. There is no mention of "fantasy" in this description, and it could safely be assumed that any battle would be a typical battle - based in a castle/medieval timeline.
After all - isn't that what this site is all about anyway?

Under-water battles are not typical medieval battles, as are floating rocks and air (it simply did not happen) Imagination is not being discouraged, but following the basic guidelines of the category should be adhered to.
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Blasterman wrote:There is no mention of "fantasy" in this description, and it could safely be assumed that any battle would be a typical battle - based in a castle/medieval timeline.
After all - isn't that what this site is all about anyway?
Classic-Castle.com has welcomed related themes up until this point (fantasy, ninja, LOTR, vikings). Things haven't suddenly changed.

Classic-Castle.com is more than just historical realism, just as the official LEGO Castle lines haven't all been historical realism.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Bricksidge wrote:Classic-Castle.com has welcomed related themes up until this point (fantasy, ninja, LOTR, vikings). Things haven't suddenly changed.

Classic-Castle.com is more than just historical realism, just as the official LEGO Castle lines haven't all been historical realism.
I agree that fantasy lines and non-European medieval themes have a place at Classic-Castle.com.

However, for this battles category, I think that extremely fantastic creations such as airships, submarines, or tanks would belong in the miscellaneous category and not the Battles category. Those vehicles are more futuristic. Small separated floating rocks would not work well for a large scale battle.

Fantasy creatures as a faction are great. Have your Tree elves attack the ring wraiths or hobbits vs trolls. "Kill the men, kill the elves, save the gold for ourselves" :wink:

Ben
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

Sounds cool, how important is the actual landscape in this catagory, I have a great idea, after I get some peices but I'm not so good at making a regular feild look so good.
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

ZIGGY! wrote:Sounds cool, how important is the actual landscape in this catagory, I have a great idea, after I get some peices but I'm not so good at making a regular feild look so good.
It will be a combination of the whole appearance of your creation. Creativity, details, and playability are our criteria for contest mocs. Many battles occured on somewhat flat fields. The small details like a stream, trees, grass (flower stems), rocks, etc can add much to flat terrain. Be creative!

Ben
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

I plan to use bushes and (dry) trees (don't ask about the dry yet :wink: ), and some stones. But some people make hills and slopes and who knows what out of plain plates. I'm sure a MOC gets more points that way, but how bad is it if it's pretty flat?
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Sorry to pester the admins, but...

I think I know the answer to this, but I don't want to make an entry and find out I'm disqualified, but are full blown seiges allowed?

Like with fighting all around the castle and inside the castle as well?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

ZIGGY! wrote:I'm sure a MOC gets more points that way, but how bad is it if it's pretty flat?
There is no way to tell without viewing the finished creation.
I think I know the answer to this, but I don't want to make an entry and find out I'm disqualified, but are full blown seiges allowed?

Like with fighting all around the castle and inside the castle as well?
Siege scenes are fine inside and outside the castle walls (ie in courtyards). Basically any siege entry that would have worked last year can be entered into this battle category.

Ben