Colossal Castle Contest IV

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

TheOrk wrote:Sorry to pester the admins, but...

I think I know the answer to this, but I don't want to make an entry and find out I'm disqualified, but are full blown seiges allowed?
Remember, your scene should fit on two 32x32 baseplates, so how large can it be?[/b]
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Siege scenes are fine inside and outside the castle walls (ie in courtyards). Basically any siege entry that would have worked last year can be entered into this battle category.
Ok, thanks!

And for the record, the entry section for the CCC3 is broken. :wink:
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

ZIGGY! wrote:Remember, your scene should fit on two 32x32 baseplates, so how large can it be?[/b]
It can be 32x64, 64x32, or smaller. Check out last years siege winner for ideas on two 32x32 plates: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1538921

Ben
Blasterman
Steward

Post by Blasterman »

Guys...

I'm not suggesting that you can't have anything fantasy(LOTR, etc.), nor am I saying it has to be historically accurate. It just seems like a no-brainer to me, that a castle/medieval battle scene would take place on land of some sort.

My apologies for trying to help you.
garraofthesand
Laborer

Post by garraofthesand »

What would siege equipment on its own be categorized as? say if it was in storage, or is being towed, or is fortification
Time to go nighty night mister west.

Yay Nightey nigh- ugh. ZZZZZ....
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote: We can't adjust every single category to fit every single person's desires.
I'm not expecting special treatment or changing of the rules but, as always, the rules for any given category are not strictly explained and I don't want to build something that doesn't fit the category, only to be told at the last minute that I'm being shunted over to 'Misc'. I will only have time to enter one category so I will by trying to come up with something that I can A) successfully execute, within the parameters of the category and my available bricks/talent, and B) possibly win. Since it looks like the battle category isn't for me, I'm going to have to move to a different category.

Anyway, good luck to the battle scene entrants :)
Pharazon
Serf

Post by Pharazon »

For the custom fig category, what about accessories and WIPs (helms, shields, weapons etc.) we have posted before Nov. 1? If these accessories are refined and tailored for the new fig, will that be allowed?
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

I'm very sorry to add to the questions, but would I be able to use a castle which contains two sections I have posted before (modified again), namely my gatehouse and tower "bridge"?

Thanks Ben!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Blasterman wrote:Guys...

I'm not suggesting that you can't have anything fantasy(LOTR, etc.), nor am I saying it has to be historically accurate. It just seems like a no-brainer to me, that a castle/medieval battle scene would take place on land of some sort.

My apologies for trying to help you.
It is fine. The new categories always need to be clarified by the admins. Some individual entries are judged by admins on which category they best belong in. A majority of entries easily fit in the category requirements. Not surprisingly, these entries often win.
What would siege equipment on its own be categorized as? say if it was in storage, or is being towed, or is fortification
If it is being towed that could fall in the vehicles category. Otherwise a siege engine on its own would go in miscellaneous. You could also include it in a battles category or in a siege workshop inside a castle.
For the custom fig category, what about accessories and WIPs (helms, shields, weapons etc.) we have posted before Nov. 1? If these accessories are refined and tailored for the new fig, will that be allowed?
We are concerned about the entire figure. If you made a custom weapon or helmet, you could include that in your new figure.
I'm very sorry to add to the questions, but would I be able to use a castle which contains two sections I have posted before (modified again), namely my gatehouse and tower "bridge"?
This would not be allowed unless new creations were highly different from the old ones. We want new creations, not modified creations.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

Hi castle-friends,

after all these questions now I'm a bit confused. What means "playability" regarding with the entry. A bridge isn't moveable (mainly), so I don't see big playability. Do you want to see some kind of catapults like all newer sets from TLC contains? :wink:
Fun besides, can we present the MOCs in a vingiette-style or like you to see wide surrounding landscaping?

And the pictures for the entries, should the folder with the entry only contains three pictures or can we present more pictures for the public and link only three pictures for the entry?

Sorry for asking, and thanks for answer,

regards,
jens
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

jens wrote:Hi castle-friends,

after all these questions now I'm a bit confused. What means "playability" regarding with the entry. A bridge isn't moveable (mainly), so I don't see big playability. Do you want to see some kind of catapults like all newer sets from TLC contains? :wink:
Fun besides, can we present the MOCs in a vingiette-style or like you to see wide surrounding landscaping?

And the pictures for the entries, should the folder with the entry only contains three pictures or can we present more pictures for the public and link only three pictures for the entry?

Sorry for asking, and thanks for answer,

regards,
jens
Hi Jens,

The playability grading factor is used in most categories. It is easy to add playability to houses or carts (secret entrances, hidden chambers, etc). For categories like bridges or battles, what we see is usually what we get.

Landscaping is important in larger categories like medieval life, bridges, castle fortifications, battles, etc. For smaller categories like vehicles, castle buildings, it is not necessary but can be included.

Your entry folder should only have 3 images. This is done so admins can grade quickly and easily without guessing which images should be graded. Feel free to make a separate folder with more images to post online and share at CC.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

Hi!

This may be off topic a bit, but I justed wanted to say something to the Admins:

You guys really have patients! Congrats on that guys.

A question:

If we where to enter a siege tower into vehicles, could we have mythical beasts pulling them?
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
Memory
Serf

Post by Memory »

This looks like a fun contest. I'm glad the admins have the patience to set this up.

One question. Say I do a cliff vignette, for whaever reason. Would I lose marks for having the cut-out (id est, not supposed to be visible) sides solid, flat, and grey?
Dancing space potatoes? You bet!
ZIGGY!
Squire

Post by ZIGGY! »

I'd be going crazy if I were an admin now...

In our folder, can we include a fourth pic wich is really a subfolder?
I've been let back on, zip-adee-doo-dah!
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

edit: see the answers from the admin
Last edited by jens on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.