Colossal Castle Contest IV

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

Booyah! :D :shock: This is gonna be amazingly-awesomely-indescribably cool!
I have a question. If you are building a village and you have quite a few structures but one of them has been posted once before, will it still be excepted?

Thanks in advance,
Jansen
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

J1A3L5 wrote:Hi admins,

Does the "Castle Fortification" category have to be on CCC scale, or can it be larger?
Good question. I was thinking of making a tower that could either be part of a castle or even stand alone & either way be functional. But I specifically didn't want to conform to the CCC standard ... is that ok ?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Lamanda2 wrote:I have a question relating to the battle scene:

You say that it should include two unique armies, does that mean we shouldn't use official factions?
Official factions are fine. We want two separate factions in the battle.
For the Vehicles category, would a sort of fantasy/steampunk design be alright, or should we stick with more traditional vehicles?
No. We are looking for traditional vehicles. Medieval machines (like the previous Da Vinci category) should be submitted in the miscellaneous category.
For the Castle Room Interiors category, is there a limit on the rooms we can stack on top of each other - say for a tower interior?
You may stack rooms on top of each other. Keep in mind that rooms need to be connected to each other. An example of stacked rooms could be a storage room with a dungeon under it which is connected by an open pit. Creating large numbers of rooms is less desirable than creating several highly detailed rooms.
How, may I ask, was the Viking set donated? Were you using your abassadorial powers, or has the C3IV fallen under LEGO's ever-watching gaze?
LEGO has kindly donated prizes to every Colossal Castle Contest! Check out some of their previous donations: http://www.classic-castle.com/events/co ... rizes.html
Does the "Castle Fortification" category have to be on CCC scale, or can it be larger? It specifically mentions CCC walls, making it a bit confusing.
Creations definitely can be larger. A CCC wall is only one example. As usual, creative building techniques are more important than the size of your wall, tower, or keep.
The contest looks great, the bridge category is especially unique. Any specific reason it was created?
We try to have prizes match the category and vice versa. At the same time, a few new categories are introduced each year. Instead of another Outpost category, we thought why not make a bridge category for a set with a rope bridge ;)
Now, I have one question. Why is the castle interior category increased to 2 32x32 baseplates? I loved seeing how people made castle living spaces with only 16x16 to go on. Why the big step up?
Many fans found the old size requirements too limiting. You do not have to build to the full extent of those baseplates. We welcome smaller rooms. There can also be multiple rooms which may need the extra space.
If you are building a village and you have quite a few structures but one of them has been posted once before, will it still be excepted?
We probably will not accept it. You may PM an admin for consideration and note when the creation was first posted. As a general rule, we do not accept creations posted online before November 1st of this year.
Good question. I was thinking of making a tower that could either be part of a castle or even stand alone & either way be functional. But I specifically didn't want to conform to the CCC standard ... is that ok ?
Yes.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

Ooh, so many questions. I'll throw in my two bits: I'm assuming, since Josh is now an admin, that the Battles Contest is now the Battle Scene category for this CCC?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

BreadMan wrote:Ooh, so many questions. I'll throw in my two bits: I'm assuming, since Josh is now an admin, that the Battles Contest is now the Battle Scene category for this CCC?
Josh is moderator and not an administrator. http://www.classic-castle.com/contact.html

The Battles Contest is separate from the CCCIV. This new category can be a ordinary battle but also includes the old siege category. So there are many options other than an all out battle on an open plain.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

BreadMan wrote:I'm assuming, since Josh is now an admin, that the Battles Contest is now the Battle Scene category for this CCC?
architect wrote:Josh is moderator and not an administrator. http://www.classic-castle.com/contact.html The Battles Contest is separate from the CCCIV.
Just want to throw in my two cents here. While there is overlap between the CCC's Battle category and the Battles Contest, they are totally seperate. In fact, MOCs submitted to the CCC aren't eligible for the Battles Contest since they are published prior to the start of the contest (which starts in February).

And, as a moderator, I can still enter the CCC. If I was an Admin, I would be disqualified. I'm happy to be a Mod...:)

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

I understand wanting to be inclusive so I can sort of see allowing non-CCC standard fortifications but why is there no CCC-exclusive category?

I am very dissapointed that there is not a "CCC Module" category or some such. Are we not willing to promote one of our most important community projects? :cry:
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Great News! I can only wait ond hope that I will have enough time and bricks to compete with all you excellent builders.

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Hippotam
Villein

Post by Hippotam »

Hello! There is no way to see the CCC3 (last year) entries. Link from the contest page does not work :( Could someone fix that, please?
Thanks!
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Hippotam wrote:Hello! There is no way to see the CCC3 (last year) entries. Link from the contest page does not work :( Could someone fix that, please?
Thanks!
Well.. you can see the winners at least.

And great to see this again. I miss the Classic Castle cathegory though.. but the bridge is interesting!
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
The Panther
Peasant

Post by The Panther »

Yes! :P It's finally here! The catigories look like they'll be fun to build, and the prizes are great. Hopefully this will be a good oppurtunity to get some classic stuff.(I missed the classic age :( )
Keep on Truckin'
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Tedward wrote: I am very dissapointed that there is not a "CCC Module" category or some such. Are we not willing to promote one of our most important community projects? :cry:
There was not a CCC module category last year either. While standards are great for displays, they are not always best for contests. In addition new landscaping and farm standards also do not have categories. You should feel free to use standards within your entries but are not required to do so.
Hello! There is no way to see the CCC3 (last year) entries. Link from the contest page does not work Sad Could someone fix that, please?
Thanks!
That file may have been lost when our site went down earlier in the year. We do have lists of entrants but not necessarily links. I will have to do some digging and see if we cant find the php file.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
garraofthesand
Laborer

Post by garraofthesand »

I have another question. I have been considering doing a jail house / torture dungeon/gallows thing for the general life thing. Can I include soldiers or guards in it?
Time to go nighty night mister west.

Yay Nightey nigh- ugh. ZZZZZ....
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

Awesome, i think i will try to build some items for this years Contest! I have some cool ideas in mind and hopefully i'll have enough pieces leftover after getting stuff built for the upcoming trainshow.

Great job and thanks for the admins for getting this contest going and for the great prizes people have donated!! Good luck everyone~!
-Joe "Cool"
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Not to start a big long discussion or anything but,
architect wrote: While standards are great for displays, they are not always best for contests.
Except if we follow that logic then we should not have any limitations or categories at all. :D

Just a request for next year that one category be set aside for CCC modules alone. Just like building a vig or being limited to 2 32x32 baseplates the challenge is to build within the restrictions.

Please. :shock: