Colossal Castle Contest IV

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Sir Nelson wrote:Wow! It’s that time already? :shock:

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I will not be participating this year. I made this decision just after last year’s contest, and have chosen to follow LEGOFREAK’s example from the year prior.

The prizes are excellent!! :D There are many good builders here at Classic-Castle, and I hope to see some fantastic MOCs soon. I wish everyone the best of luck, and have fun!
Afraid of my previously announced Latrine of Death? Or was it the fresh Gong-flavored moat eels? All seriousness aside, why not enter? I haven't enetred before and may not again because it's just such a hectic time of year. Alas, I should enter something. I'd like to see what you have been working on. "Or ah you a girlie man, ya?" (say in Governator tone).
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

garraofthesand wrote:I have another question. I have been considering doing a jail house / torture dungeon/gallows thing for the general life thing. Can I include soldiers or guards in it?
Dungeons and Jails would likely be better suited for the Castle Building category or Castle Room Interior category. Public events like a hanging in a town square certainly could be built with guards, an executioner, and the general public.
Except if we follow that logic then we should not have any limitations or categories at all. Very Happy

Just a request for next year that one category be set aside for CCC modules alone. Just like building a vig or being limited to 2 32x32 baseplates the challenge is to build within the restrictions.
I agree that limitations often lead to better designs. On the other hand it is often boring to have the same category limitations from year to year. Larger rooms in the Castle Interior category should create very different entries than last year. As usual, we will be grading on quality and not size of creations. A giant and boring moc will not be graded as favorably as a small detailed one.

In the end we admins are the ones donating the time to create, run, and grade the contest along with donating most of the prizes. Due to this we as a group choose to run the contest as we see fit. This does not always please everyone but it does get many people to build castle, which is the whole point ;)

Ben
CC Contest Admin
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Would a ballista be best put in the MISC. section?

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

kelderic wrote:Would a ballista be best put in the MISC. section?

Kelderic
Yes. If it was part of a large battle or siege scene, then you could add it to the battle category.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Hey Blue Knight,
The Blue Knight wrote:All seriousness aside, why not enter? I haven't enetred before and may not again because it's just such a hectic time of year.
It has become somewhat of a tradition (is it a tradition if its done twice?) that the Master Builder from the year before doesn't participate in the current CCC. Of course, it is the decision of the Master Builder themself, but I think its pretty cool. It gives someone else a chance at the title and eliminates the possibility of a long reign by one person. Hats off to you, Nelson, I can only imagine how hard it is not to enter!

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

JoshWedin wrote: It has become somewhat of a tradition (is it a tradition if its done twice?) that the Master Builder from the year before doesn't participate in the current CCC. Of course, it is the decision of the Master Builder themself, but I think its pretty cool. It gives someone else a chance at the title and eliminates the possibility of a long reign by one person. Hats off to you, Nelson, I can only imagine how hard it is not to enter!

Josh
Master Builders could submit less than six creations and not be eligible for this year's mater builder prize. A contestant can only win one prize (except the master builder can win 2) each year. Patrick and Nelson, you know that bridge category is tempting :lol:

Ben
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Must...stop...fingers...from...posting... :twisted:

Too...late...
architect wrote:This does not always please everyone but it does get many people to build castle, which is the whole point ;)
OK, I guess I have always over-estimated the importance of the CCC standard. I was under the impression that it was one of, if not THE, defining project of this community. Asking for one of the many categories to be set aside to encourage the design and building of quality MOCs in this standard would, I thought, be a way to support that project.

I guess I am wrong and I am duly chastised for my questioning of the all-powerful admins. :wink:

(Further discussion can be done in the display forum to avoid clogging this thread. :) )
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Clarification of the battle scene

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

The battle scene mentions terrain and scenery. Does it have to be out-doors?
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

Awesome! I'll have to start planning now, last year I got caught in the last few days, and my MOC was not very good...

A question about pics, do all three have to be in the same time-frame? i.e. for a battle scene, could one pic be about the two sides' first blows, and then another pic showing the victorious faction standing over the defeated enemy?

Hope this makes sense...

Thanks
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Re: Clarification of the battle scene

Post by architect »

Mr. Shiny & New wrote:The battle scene mentions terrain and scenery. Does it have to be out-doors?
This is an interesting question that the admins will have to discuss.

How many full scale medieval battles were fought inside a building with a roof? Wouldn't that be a fight or skirmish and not a battle?

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

architect wrote:This is an interesting question that the admins will have to discuss.

How many full scale medieval battles were fought inside a building with a roof? Wouldn't that be a fight or skirmish and not a battle?

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Well, considering the numbers of people involved in a typical Battle, I don't think most people have enough minifigs to man two whole factions. So I'd argue that some of the fighting in a battle would take place inside a building. :)
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

Mr. Shiny & New wrote: Well, considering the numbers of people involved in a typical Battle, I don't think most people have enough minifigs to man two whole factions.
Bwahahaha! *smirk*

Anyway, let indoor battles slide please; I have a sweet idea that might be considered "indoors" and I'd hate for it to be suddenly ruled out.

Of course, I guess with the Misc. category pretty much anything goes, if something doesn't meet another category's requirements... And I guess if it's disallowed there's always the Battles Contest, which usually allows a broad range of battle variations...
The_Vanquished
Artisan

Post by The_Vanquished »

I was wondering for the Minifig Category, could we use CountBlockula's BrickFA design?

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=148731
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

architect wrote:
Mr. Shiny & New wrote:The battle scene mentions terrain and scenery. Does it have to be out-doors?
This is an interesting question that the admins will have to discuss.

Ben
CC Contest Admin

I thought I would contribute my two pirate coins:

I would think that portions of many battles took place indoors. Likewise, actual battles may have been prevented by some indoors fighting to capture or kill a dissident lord before he caused trouble.

The contest does not specify a full-scale battle. Specifically, the description mentions an ambush, which could simply be four robbers attacking a merchant caravan, right? If that is allowed, it would seem that a small-scale indoor fight should also be allowed provided that two distinct sides can be seen in the conflict.

Please note: I am not an admin, and this is just my opinion/argument. This is not an official answer.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

JoshWedin wrote:It has become somewhat of a tradition (is it a tradition if its done twice?) that the Master Builder from the year before doesn't participate in the current CCC. Of course, it is the decision of the Master Builder themself, but I think its pretty cool. It gives someone else a chance at the title and eliminates the possibility of a long reign by one person. Hats off to you, Nelson, I can only imagine how hard it is not to enter!
Thanks, Josh. That was one of the reasons why I made this decision. Everyone should have a chance to win. I'd say that Freak started the tradition (was there a 'Master Builder' from CCC-1?), and I am just continuing it. 8)

architect wrote:Patrick and Nelson, you know that bridge category is tempting :lol:
:lol: Yes, it is! Hehehe... That really is good category, and I've had an idea for a bridge scene for about a year now. I may build it sometime, but again, not for the contest.
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."