Colossal Castle Contest IV

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Another battle question

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

I'd like a bit more clarification about what is required for the battle entry. So far we seem to have:

1. Outdoors (? is this still being discussed?)
2. Minimum two factions
3. Minimum faction size 10 figs

Can we have some flexibility on the faction size? Would monsters (dragons, etc) count, and if so can larger monsters count as more than one fig?

Also, are there any other restrictions? The reason I ask is that the battle entry interests me but the stated restrictions don't fit well with my brick collection.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Re: .............................................

Post by architect »

The dark tide wrote:Are brick beasts allowed to be in the battles? Say if I made a troll from scratch.
Yes, you can have creatures if you battle is more mythical. Creatures would only count as one unit.
Can we have some flexibility on the faction size? Would monsters (dragons, etc) count, and if so can larger monsters count as more than one fig?
No, see above.
Also, are there any other restrictions? The reason I ask is that the battle entry interests me but the stated restrictions don't fit well with my brick collection.
The contest has never been designed so that everyone's collection works for every category. Our intent is that the categories match the prizes. We always have certain categories that work well for large collections, and others for medium or small size collections. An example from last year is building a small cart was much more feasable than building a large castle.

1. Outdoors (? is this still being discussed?)
Yes. We will update the contest page when final admin discussion on that has taken place. Generally this takes a few days. You have two months to build and submit so there should be plenty of time. Approving creations and other decisions often takes a few days. Please be patient. Thanks.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

For the battle scene, if the minifigs are glued down for stability, will that negitively affect the grading?

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

kelderic wrote:For the battle scene, if the minifigs are glued down for stability, will that negitively affect the grading?

Kelderic
Will your figures be doing handstands? :lol:

If there are not giant globs of glue or sticky tack visible it is probably ok. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon moves would be pushing it.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

I have a question: Would something like a tudor house or inn fit better in the Midieval catagory or the Castle Building?

Thanks.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

architect wrote:By ancient we meant creations like Roman arch bridges, wooden Celt bridges, etc. Aztec or Mayan bridges would be pushing the limits too far.
OK cool :) But how about an oriental (ninja) bridge ?

Thanks again for your patience admins :D
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Sir Dillon wrote:I have a question: Would something like a tudor house or inn fit better in the Midieval catagory or the Castle Building?

Thanks.
An inn would belong in Medieval Life. There were tudor buildings inside castle walls and part of castle fortifications. Check out my Tudor Gatehouse which is based on historic Stokesay Castle: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=24491
But how about an oriental (ninja) bridge ?
That should be fine if it is medieval.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

A question about pics, do all three have to be in the same time-frame? i.e. for a battle scene, could one pic be about the two sides' first blows, and then another pic showing the victorious faction standing over the defeated enemy?

Sorry for asking again, but this wasn't answered at first. and now it's two pages ago.

Thanks
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
marian19
Villein

Post by marian19 »

Hi,
when I want to join in more categories may I build one MOC and take photos and than use that bricks for another one?
Marian
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

architect wrote:In the past we have allowed minor customization for other categories. This includes custom stickers for figures torsos, shields, and flags, a small amount of painting, and an occasional custom accessory. Most of the other categories are focused on structures more than the figures and grading will take this into account.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
Does that mean that only stickers that resemble official torsos and shields are ok or can we have our own designs?

And occasional custom accessory; would this sword be ok for example?
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
garraofthesand
Laborer

Post by garraofthesand »

Are non faction battles allowed? Ie. scattered groups of knights and factions + peasants trying to fend off a zombie horde.
Time to go nighty night mister west.

Yay Nightey nigh- ugh. ZZZZZ....
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

So when are we going to see some entries?
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Contest Update:

The Battles category will be limited to exterior battles with a minimum of ten figures on each of two or more factions. You can have fighting on battlements, attacking a tower, etc, but most action should be outdoors. We do not want to compete with the Castle Room Interior category.
Shurtugal wrote:A question about pics, do all three have to be in the same time-frame? i.e. for a battle scene, could one pic be about the two sides' first blows, and then another pic showing the victorious faction standing over the defeated enemy?

Sorry for asking again, but this wasn't answered at first. and now it's two pages ago.

Thanks
As in the siege category of last year, we prefer to have it be one moment in time that is captured from three different angles. It will be too hard to grade if each shot changes the number and location of figures.
when I want to join in more categories may I build one MOC and take photos and than use that bricks for another one?
Of course this is fine. Making different creations from the same bricks is what LEGO is about.
Does that mean that only stickers that resemble official torsos and shields are ok or can we have our own designs?
You can have your own designs. Make sure to do a nice job on cutting and pasting. Bad customs in other categories can hurt your grade.
And occasional custom accessory; would this sword be ok for example?
That would be fine for one soldier.
Are non faction battles allowed? Ie. scattered groups of knights and factions + peasants trying to fend off a zombie horde.
That sounds like a classic human vs bad guy battle to me. So yes, that would be ok.
So when are we going to see some entries?
Entries that were submitted correctly have been approved. Check your pm for further details.

Ben
CC Contest Admin
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

In the rules, it says thus:
You can not submit any creations posted online or shown in public before November 1st, 2006.
Does this mean that if we went ahead and already posted something online, that we can not enter it?

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

kelderic wrote:In the rules, it says thus:
You can not submit any creations posted online or shown in public before November 1st, 2006.
Does this mean that if we went ahead and already posted something online, that we can not enter it?

Kelderic
If your creation was posted or shown online before November 1st 2006 it is not eligible for the contest.

Ben