The Entrance To The Caves... (Updated)

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Very nice. Your previous MOCs have been quite good, but this one is on a completely different level! Your work has become utterly stunning! I have nothing but praise for this wonderful MOC.

That being said, I'm not keen on your choice of background. The green photoshop background really flattens the image, making it look quite dull. It really takes away from the photos, making the MOC appear drab next to this overwhelming sheet of green. Personally, I feel that your work would stand out more if placed against a pale background. A neutral white, or faded green would work well here, allowing the vibrance of the MOC to stand out that much more!
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Sir Terrance wrote: One question, what brown piece is sticking out here on the side of the building?
'they' are two brown lego birds. Ever since lego released the bird piece in brown I have been thinking 'carving', so they became a sort of lost emblem for the mine. There is also one next to the entrance, this time carved in stone, in this pic.

@Blueandwhite: I tried a few designs for backgrounds (this was my first ever attempt) but ending up liking these about the best. Maybe it is just my own taste. Also I was looking for a mood similar to the old pre-computer lego images, something that draws you in to its world to look around rather than jumping out at you.

Thanks again all for your comments!

God Bless,

Nathan
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Welll Nathan this is quite a model. I have held off commenting as I keep going back and seeing new things. Much has been said already that I won't repeat (but its all true!). I think my favorite part is the "monochromality" (I think you coined a term Bruce) of the caverns. In the dark, human eyes do not register colors, only shades of grey. This has the feel of being the first person to peer into a dark frightening place for the first time in many years. This is quite an achievement, you should be very pleased at the result.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

I've been wanting to review this since I first saw it, but it'll take so long that I didn't previously have time! Anyway...

The House: Although it's only one floor and doesn't have a lot of furniture, I really like it. The beams hanging from the ceiling are great, and the furniture that there is is very nice. The walls, both inside and out, are a nice texture and color. I like dark tan because it means you can make roads and still have tan (I've gotta start calling that beige, 'cause that's what it really is) buildings! I also love how the tree is carved out for the path, and how the roots hang off the side of the cliff, and the whole look of the tree itself.

The cliff and outside: The cliff under the house is really good, but it kinda seems like there are a few sort of 'columns' there, and they make it look odd... although looking at the caves, maybe you wanted columns out there. The tall cliff above the house really looks like an ancient curtain wall. I like the railing next to the path, very nice. The sort of scooped-out arch-y tower things at both ends of the bridge are great. They really look like ancient buildings that have been overgrown by rock (not that that could happen). The bridge itself is nice looking, and appropriately rickety. The waterfall behind it is very nice, I love the transparency, but the clear radar dishes at the bottom look weird. The stairs leading down to the river bank are wonderful, I like how you made them look older and more natural by covering the edges on some of them, and making them crooked, but they mainly stand out by being light grey, while a lot of the rest of the stone is dark. I also like the tree on the stairs. The bank is great, it really looks like a hill, and I like how the rock goes under the ground.

Inside the caves: The main cave reminds me of what I picture Moria like when I'm reading FotR, but on a much smaller scale. The pillars and gallery are very nice, and I love all the tracks everywhere, they make it look like the people were very advanced miners. The end of the gallery looks a lot like a cave-in, and that's cool. The treasure room is very nice, I really like the stone chests and especially the wagon.

Overall: Overall this is a beautiful creation, and it's nice to see the vikings portrayed peaceably. The legend is great, and I really like the feel of the whole thing. I hope you continue this series (which I'm guessing you will). This is my favorite picture, because even though the clarity isn't that good, I love the angle and the lighting. The only things I don't like are the cut-away corners, although if this is a series, you might've made those to link to more sections....

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

@The Blue Knight, I'm so glad you also got the 'feel' of the caves, they really seem to translate the image and impression I wanted to others...
smcginnis wrote:the furniture that there is

I was going for a long abandoned look, only the useless or heavy is left ; )
smcginnis wrote: The waterfall behind it is very nice, I love the transparency, but the clear radar dishes at the bottom look weird.

I quite like these as a splash solution, but I'm sure I'll come up with something better in time...
smcginnis wrote: even though the clarity isn't that good, I love the angle and the lighting.
For the record : ) The fuzziness of this shot is intentional for mood... (I know my picture taking track record doesn't back that up, but it's true : )!

Thanks for taking all the time reply!

God Bless and thanks again all!

Nathan
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

I really like the clear rader dishes - they may look a little odd really close up, but from a distance they work great
The Panther
Peasant

Post by The Panther »

:shock: My heart skipped. WOW! one of the greatest things I've seen.
They need a drooling emoticon.
Keep on Truckin'
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Hey all,

Just wanted to say that I've added a story page to the gallery.

Image (pic=link)

I'll try to do this for each MOC in the story.

Also re Bruce, after a long search I couldn't find a better pic of the stairs, blame the cameraman : )

God Bless,

Nathan
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

I really like the story page. It really adds to the entire quality of the MOCtale.
MrTS
Lord

Post by MrTS »

indeed thats a nice story you added there. I normally don't care much about stories behind lego creations but this one is nice.

I also wanted to say i think your moc is one of the greatest mocs i've ever seen.
*brings out his special stamp and hits Norro on his forehead*
you are a "Masterbuilder" :D
You want a piece of me?!?!

My Brickshelf gallery:[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrTS]here[/url]
CAI
Journeyman

Post by CAI »

MrTS wrote:indeed thats a nice story you added there. I normally don't care much about stories behind lego creations but this one is nice.

I also wanted to say i think your moc is one of the greatest mocs i've ever seen.
*brings out his special stamp and hits Norro on his forehead*
you are a "Masterbuilder" :D
You can almost sense the atmosphere in this MOC. Just awesome man!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Cyin]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

Thanks all! I'm glad the story page blended in so smoothly...

God Bless,

Nathan
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

This story indeed adds another layer to this MOC. Very nice.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
The_Vanquished
Artisan

Post by The_Vanquished »

Someday I hope I can build a fraction of the way to can. Breathtaking.
wrap me in a bolt of lightning,
send me on my way still smiling,
maybe that's the way i should go:
straight into the mouth of the unknown....
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Well, it sets a nice athmosphere, and you fit the pics in very well, with the bridge being my favourite part. There was some green visible around the torch though, and the pic at the top looked a bit odd.. always room for improvement, no? ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis