MFM - My First MOCs (AKA CCCIV)

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
plucky
Laborer

MFM - My First MOCs (AKA CCCIV)

Post by plucky »

Just as the Nadine and Charlie contest over at Brickfilms.com finally got myself and a friend to make a LEGO movie, CCCIV has gotten me to start building some MOCs! Other than the cheesy spaceship, buggy and scenery for that movie, these are pretty much my first MOCs in a very long time!

I plan on doing a few more, but due to holiday commitments, I need to pause for a short time. While I like all of my ideas so far, the execution doesn't always meet expectations. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same thing Anthony Sava a few years from now when he wrote - "I have decided to clean out all the older MOCs from my Brickshelf Gallery as I am ashamed by their quality and I hope to make room for new and improved ones."

Battle Scene - Battlesystem - Based on a Jeff Easley painting. Some of it turned out ok, some of it didn't.

Bridge - Dragonback Bridge - I thought it was a neat idea, and I want to do more based off of this some day (I have too many ideas, too little time!). This is my favorite MOC so far, probably more for the extras in it than anything else.

Custom Fig - Akaioni - Yea, it's brick built, but I just wanted to use some funky pieces and see what I could come up with. The old capes and the chair are probably the strangest. I never knew how rare the 4x4 dish in red was until I wanted one for this!

Vehicle - Carroccio - I wanted to make something that I hadn't seen done already, so I did some research and found out about the carroccio!

Misc - Cave Spiders - A piece I've wanted to use for years, the giant spider abdomen! It's OK, but could be much better. Maybe I'll do a 2.0 someday.

Castle Fortification - Royal Moat Crossing - After so many 'fantasy' based MOCs, I decided to try something... well... CLASSIC for the Classic Castle contest. I think I made it as open and dysfunctional as many of the classic sets really were ;)

Hopefully after I get my table built and pieces sorted, so I'm not working in a cramped spot on the floor out of big tubs of pieces, hoping nothing rolls down the heating duct, I'll get on to practicing more, but sometimes I see other MOCs and just think 'where do they get the inspiration in the first place, more less BUILD that?!' So, maybe that means I should just stop looking at MOCs online ;)

-plucky
General Frostfire
Villein

Post by General Frostfire »

really feelin the dragon back bridge.. and the spiders... i could definately use sum of those... how much u selling em for...j/p....lol
"When you hear the bellow of the horn, know that you are hearing the first warning of an icestorm..."
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Saw the spiders on Brickshelf - that's a really creative use for that dome. I also enjoyed the fact that you made them cave spiders, since they're white. No sunlight = horrible complexions. 8)

After the spiders, I think my next favorite is the moat-crossing. You did a great job capturing that Classic feel.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

I really like your bridge - a very unique idea (is that Dragon alive/ dead/ or even real at all?) The landscaping is well done & there is alot of stuff going on.

My other favs are the Giant Spiders & the Demon - for inventive use of pieces, & the Battlesystem MOC - I have that same book! lol

Well done
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

The dragonback bridge leaps out at me from amongst some other great work, for an early series of MOCs these are brilliant!

Thanks for sharing and and Bless,

Nathan
Shurtugal
Bailiff
Location: On the Albertan Prairies, listening to some slow country music

Post by Shurtugal »

Great MOCs! I would have to say my favourite is the giant spider, especially in the curled up pic, you've really captured the essesnce of....well, of a curled up spider.
Also the bridge is very imaginative! Good job!
~Andrew C.

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php]MOCpages![/url]

Eka ai fricai un Shur'tugal! I am a Rider and a friend!
Mike Viper
Archer
Location: At home practicing my singing, building, or hanging around with friends.

Post by Mike Viper »

I love the spider. Very creative. How sturdy is it though I wonder?

Looks like an oversized crab-spider, which is the second creepiest on my Arachnophobia list. And I hate the Phobia BTW.
I ow it to wunztwice for directing me here.
plucky
Laborer

Post by plucky »

Thanks for all the positive comments :)
Mike Viper wrote:I love the spider. Very creative. How sturdy is it though I wonder?

Looks like an oversized crab-spider, which is the second creepiest on my Arachnophobia list. And I hate the Phobia BTW.
Honestly, it has a couple issues :) There's only one side of a 1x1 plate (with clip light) holding the Skis on to the legs, so those are easy to pop off. Also, it can't hold it's own weight, the joints just aren't strong enough. It would take those click-type hinges to hold itself up, and those were just too large for the style (as well as the fact I don't have them in white).

So, what's #1 on the creepy spider list?

-plucky
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

AAHHH!!! The spiders scare me! I hate spiders, Jaques! I hate 'em!

The hill scene was rilly cool! I need to do that sometime.

The demon is rilly cool and dragonback bridge is very creative! Man, I have a feeling you'll do very well indeed! I wanna see more, dude!
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

These are all quite good! For beginner MOCs you're really setting the bar high. I like the custom fig but it would have been better if it wasn't all one color. It makes it hard to see some of the detail. You've also got some really creative usage of pieces, like the capes on the carriage. Te spiders too are awesome, terribly creeeepy!
plucky
Laborer

Post by plucky »

Recluce wrote:These are all quite good! For beginner MOCs you're really setting the bar high.
Well, I have been collecting and building longer than some people on this board have been alive, I just never really built MOCs. Then again, I've had YEARS of looking at other peoples MOCs!
Recluce wrote:I like the custom fig but it would have been better if it wasn't all one color. It makes it hard to see some of the detail.
Very true, I know what you mean. It is almost more of an exercise in piece usage (since I need the practice). Possibly I should have gone back through and swapped out some of it for different colors after I'd gotten it built.
Recluce wrote:You've also got some really creative usage of pieces, like the capes on the carriage. Te spiders too are awesome, terribly creeeepy!
Thanks! Since right now I can't build something BETTER, I'll build something DIFFERENT, or use something different than it's been done before :)

-plucky
Jacob C.
Councilor

Post by Jacob C. »

The Dragonback Bridge is very original and looks fantastic.
I just hope the dragon doesn't come to life while those poor peasants are crossing over!
The custom Akaioni fig looks great as well.
The perfect demon soldier!

Great work!
[url=http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Majhost Gallery[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=RabbitSpook]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

While all of these are good, I must say that I find the Dragon Bridge to be my facvorate. It is wonderful.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
stawastawa
Laborer

Post by stawastawa »

lovely Mocs

i like the spider and the dragon as all have said.

tha castle is absolute classic! like it doenst egt much more classic than that... though i guess you could use a diffent base =p

i also liek your vehicle and teh use of capes on the side

great work!