The Return of the Red Castle

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
gh0st0f0nyx

The Return of the Red Castle

Post by gh0st0f0nyx »

Hello!
I've finished my new Castle following up on the old red one. There're actually a story to this one!
After the destruction of the redcastle, the survivors roamed the land in search of a new shelter. All of them eventually died except their children. The children grew up and became warriors. After long years, they finally found shelter at a Red Tower, protected by four walls. It was home to archers and wizards and they let the warriors in.
But the archers and wizards have enemies. A few weeks after arrival, the Red Tower was attacked. The enemey strikes with siege towers (which hold captives), a rock gollum, vikings, horses, shadow knights, cannons, ninjas, infantry, an elephant with archers mounted on the top, and a dragon. Who will control the red tower in the end?
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/HuaiC ... g_0405.jpg
You can view the whole gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=227091
I hope you all enjoy it! More pics to come!
Edit:sorry the pics are dark. I forgot to put the flash on...srry...
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Not bad. Not bad at all. I like the duel layer constuction, with the outer and inner fortifications. Also, the balcony over the gate looks very cool.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
gh0st0f0nyx

Post by gh0st0f0nyx »

Thnx!
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: The Return of the Red Castle

Post by footsteps »

Very... red!

I echoe kelderic's comments. Now, am I correct in observing that each layer of bricks is not placed in an overlapping pattern with the layer below/above?

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
gh0st0f0nyx

Post by gh0st0f0nyx »

I have no clue what you just said... :shock:
smcginnis
Justiciar

Re: The Return of the Red Castle

Post by smcginnis »

I think you've definitely improved in your construction just since you posted the red castle. This is a nice, sturdy looking tower. And wow, you have a lot of red bricks...

gh0st0f0nyx wrote:
footsteps wrote:I echoe kelderic's comments. Now, am I correct in observing that each layer of bricks is not placed in an overlapping pattern with the layer below/above?
I have no clue what you just said... :shock:
(I'll try to explain it better).

What Alan is saying is that bricks in the walls are simply built in rows straight up. If you overlapped them, they would be much stronger.

Yours are built like this:

But this would be stronger:

Hope that helps.Image

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Lord Bas
Serf

Post by Lord Bas »

Indeed a great improvement. I like it.

Also a suggestion: How about some windows? Must be quite dark inside that tower. 8)
gh0st0f0nyx

Post by gh0st0f0nyx »

Lord Bas wrote:Indeed a great improvement. I like it.

Also a suggestion: How about some windows? Must be quite dark inside that tower. 8)
Correct. Minifigs were lost to a everlasting life of darkness if they fell down there...no doors inside either :)
Oh and they are stacked straight up. I tried to overlap instead but it came out in a strange way near the end and stacking up also took a shorter amount of time.
Though I may try this in a future project...
Thanks for the tips guys
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Wow, a great improvment from your last castle. Butreally. Dont be lazy like me and build them strait up. Overlap them. My castle kept braking when I moved if for pitures. I think you should narrow down your army. Not just to ramdom people but to a good solid fully armed army.

Thomas
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

This is a cool little MOC you have here (actually, that tower is quite large). I've never seen a red tower/castle either, so that made it even more memorable (as did the story behind it).

I also liked that tall siege engine of to the side. You've really got a pretty cool looking structure.

Generally speaking, it is good to overlap the bricks, although I can understand how doing that may be a bit annoying if you are using a limited quanitity of varied pieces - all your pieces seem to be about the same sized red brick, so I can understand how that would be frusterating to overlap.

Anyway, just want to say good job, once again~ If you did want to upgrade, windows and what-not would be cool too~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Very clever. It looks very intimidating, like those red sails that the Vikings used while going to war.
gh0st0f0nyx

Post by gh0st0f0nyx »

Actually guys, I did overlap in some places. I forgot about this, until I actually went back to take more pics. There's actually two parts to the outer walls. I stacked the bricks for a certian time until it was the hight of the gate upfront, which had a brick on either side in the way of the construction of the walls. So, I had to stack over those bricks in the way and it actually made the walls stronger! But the tower is just stacked up one another with no overlapping. It probably would have been stronger if I overlapped though, because of the fact that the outer walls were pretty strong with even just a little overlapping.
Oh and I'm starting to take pics of the actual battle. I'll upload em as soon as I get back from Boston.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

ottoatm wrote:I've never seen a red tower/castle either, so that made it even more memorable (as did the story behind it).
Do you mean to say that you've never seen this! tsk, tsk, what are they teaching in the schools these days? :wink: :wink:

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

footsteps wrote:Do you mean to say that you've never seen this! tsk, tsk, what are they teaching in the schools these days? :wink:
Ha... you got me there... I don't know how I could forget this castle. :)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Nice looking castle. It is indeed very red. But very well made.

The attacking force has a very eclectic collection of beasts. This would make for a fantastic battle.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.