Restless...

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Restless...

Post by ottoatm »

I'm feeling a bit restless these days... I'd love to find a good LEGO comic/story to read, but seems there haven't been any new stories or chapters out there for a long time...

It's interesting to see what you'll find when you type combos like "LEGO Castle Story" into Google, but the results are always strange or a bit disappointing... anyone know of a good one out there?

On another note, I wonder why it is that so few LEGO stories exist out there, in ratio to the number of collectors and builders?
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Re: Restless...

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

ottoatm wrote: On another note, I wonder why it is that so few LEGO stories exist out there, in ratio to the number of collectors and builders?
Could it be that to have the combination of funds for the bricks, the space to build and store MOCs, the time to build the MOCs, time to write/compose a story, proper cameras to shoot good pics, and the confidence to post the result is a rare combination. Maybe a given person may have one or more of the above but not all? Maybe its less complicated then I portray but I can develop a story but do not have the space or bricks to show them. Time, unfortunately I have but not a decent camera or enough money(but who does :wink: ). Just a couple of cents here.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

It's because of the lack of Ikros updates- Ikros is the center of all things LEGO Fantasy stories. In it's heyday, Ikros shared the vast global interweb with countless active LEGO stories, and now that Ikros has fell silent, so, too, has its' comrades. The circumstantial evidence is simpy irrefutable.

8)

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

On the contrary Tony. I think there were lego stories started before you....

I posted some picture updates if you are interested. All my chapters except three have pictures.

Somehow I feel that we need to get this story forum going more, and save Castle World. I am started posting there more frequently, and I am just about to post a note on my story here.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Prince Imdol wrote:On the contrary Tony. I think there were lego stories started before you....
Apparently the sarcasm in my post was lost in translation :P

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

I thought you were sarcastic, but I was not sure... :wink:

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

SavaTheAggie wrote:It's because of the lack of Ikros updates- Ikros is the center of all things LEGO Fantasy stories. In it's heyday, Ikros shared the vast global interweb with countless active LEGO stories, and now that Ikros has fell silent, so, too, has its' comrades. The circumstantial evidence is simpy irrefutable.

8)

--Tony
Modest as ever :P
save Castle World
Hey, you make it sound so desperate ;) Actually we seem to have one of our better periods right now, but more active members is (almost) always a good thing ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

SavaTheAggie wrote:It's because of the lack of Ikros updates- Ikros is the center of all things LEGO Fantasy stories. In it's heyday, Ikros shared the vast global interweb with countless active LEGO stories, and now that Ikros has fell silent, so, too, has its' comrades. The circumstantial evidence is simpy irrefutable.
Classic :P

I wasn't aware that you were updating your site, PI, but I am glad to see that you're still working away at it. It was also a nice surprise to see your posts over at CW :wink:

CW has always been more of a small club of authors and fans of LEGO castle stories, so the membership has always been quite modest yet constant - although Maedhros is right - the CWRPG (credit to TheOrk there), among other things, has led to a bit of a revival recently.
Tower of Iron Will wrote: Could it be that to have the combination of funds for the bricks, the space to build and store MOCs, the time to build the MOCs, time to write/compose a story, proper cameras to shoot good pics, and the confidence to post the result is a rare combination. Maybe a given person may have one or more of the above but not all? Maybe its less complicated then I portray but I can develop a story but do not have the space or bricks to show them. Time, unfortunately I have but not a decent camera or enough money(but who does Wink ). Just a couple of cents here.
I understand your two cents here, and I think I may have used one or two myself in the past, but with all the respect I can muster I must "debunk" these reasons as mere excuses.

One thing about Ikros that is so nice even now is that Tony says something along the lines of "I've lost inspiration". Which is the best answer in my mind. It is very refreshing and truthful amidst the possible whines and excuses of "My room is too small!" :wink:

I think that the real reason many don't write or finish their stories is because they simply lose inspiration - which is fine, as long as they can communicate that to their readers.

Now, we all get busy - a chapter delayed a month or two is one thing, a chapter delayed 3 years is quite another... seriously... there are people I spoke with in 2004 who are still adamant that once they get that one thing, they'll finish the story... just admit it's not important! :) Everyone will still love you and hope you'll read their own story and give some feedback, as a fellow Castle LEGO story-lover.

When I first built the first two books of Legelot's "Tomes of Chiron", I had many of the challenges you listed.
the combination of funds for the bricks
Book 1 and 2 use 3 Clone sets and 3 castle sets... along with about 20 figs. It doesn't look that way because of the way I took the pics, but even the buildings were nothing more than one wall, standing on it's own. :P
the space to build and store MOCs
The room I did book 1 and 2 in was about the size of a large bathroom.
the time to build the MOCs
I'm a bit confused by this one, since people build MOCs and Vigs all the time (and beautiful ones too)
time to write/compose a story
If the time it takes to write a story is too much, then I think it's fair to say that it's not the time to write a story that is a problem, simply the desire to make a story that is the problem (which is fine by the way, but like I said, I'd rather someone just admits it)
proper cameras to shoot good pics
I had no digital camera of my own for Legelot - I borrowed my parents camera, my sisters camera, and my friends camera (and made sure all the LEGO pics were deleted before giving it back! :) )
the confidence to post the result is a rare combination
Come now, since when was "lack of confidence" a good excuse for any failure - we must all grow up, no? :)

I want to stress that I don't mean to attack anyone, and that I certainly have used these excuses in the past, and that I understand the desire to use them.

But lets all just be honest. :wink:

I think I might sound a bit like a "story Nazi" in this post, but I don't mean to! I just get a bit tired of the same list of excuses. Perhaps some will be inspired to write after this post, or perhaps just read someone else's story and give them some feedback.
Knight Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

Well, you all get Terra! I haven't stopped, and I'm planning on a book once I get further into the timeline.
I enjoy reading people's stories, and I tried to join castle world but pressed the wrong button. (Now it thinks i'm 11 and can't join. :evil: )
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

Now, it would be ultra-cool if somebody took up the monstrous task of illustrating the Roleplaying Thread with Lego. I suppose it would be feasible if enough people volunteered; we could assign each individual page to a different person. Even so, it would be one heck of a group project.
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

That was what I was thinking of doing, at least, Novelizing it all, then Illustrating it.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Edit: Thanks for the response, I dislike it when people complain as well, but in my case I think I have a valid reason. Of course this is my opinion as some would say there are no valid reasons. Build or build not, there is no try type of thing. >edit

I'll respond this way; for you they maybe excuses but for others they are facts. Kidding aside, when you have to choose between food, rent, car maintenance, gas, 401k plan, etc, etc, fun things like LEGO stop. I am not the only person on a budget. Spend some time in my shoes and you'll see. If those that are hard pressed post a story great. My hat's off to them.

How I know I'm correct for my situation is that if you double my income I would have enough for a house/LEGO room/camera, etc and would agree that now they would be excuses. But until then...

I have limited my reponse here to keep on topic.

-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Hey Tower - I see I might have offended you a bit in my post and I just want to say that definitely wasn't my intent at all - just waxing philosophical for a moment - you're right that I don't think stuff like rent and 401ks are the real reason to stop writing (I have 'em too), but I do agree with you that they are reasons that lead up to the excuse I point to, just not wanting to devote the time and effort on it compared to other things in life.

(Also, whenever my salary went up, my responsibilities also doubled with it, taking even more time away. :))

That said, I actually think we come close to agreeing, we just define things a bit differently - no problems there, and I can certainly understand where you are coming from. :) Again, sorry if I offended.

Back to the topic!

I have found some interesting stories/comics lately that I will record, but nothing significant - seems we are going through a slow time these days.

That said, I have read a lot of the CC RPG on TheOrk's reccommendation - and some of it is indeed interesting reading - you guys did well in developing characters and plot over the time of the story - cool stuff!
Now, it would be ultra-cool if somebody took up the monstrous task of illustrating the Roleplaying Thread with Lego. I suppose it would be feasible if enough people volunteered; we could assign each individual page to a different person. Even so, it would be one heck of a group project.
Agreed! That would have made it much better, I agree, but you are right - the project group for that would have to be massive and dedicated to the cause!

Doodstormer - I remember you had some problems with that age thing! :P Sorry to hear about that - if you ever want to try registering again, just PM me and we can figure it all out.
Knight Templar

Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Hey Tower - I see I might have offended you a bit in my post and I just want to say that definitely wasn't my intent at all - just waxing philosophical for a moment - you're right that I don't think stuff like rent and 401ks are the real reason to stop writing (I have 'em too), but I do agree with you that they are reasons that lead up to the excuse I point to, just not wanting to devote the time and effort on it compared to other things in life.

(Also, whenever my salary went up, my responsibilities also doubled with it, taking even more time away. )

That said, I actually think we come close to agreeing, we just define things a bit differently - no problems there, and I can certainly understand where you are coming from. Again, sorry if I offended.
Glad to see you you had the decency/humility to apologise (when I read your post, 'mere excuses' did sound just a bit patronising). Thanks for clearing this up in a civil manner :)

Without a doubt creating a story is hard. Think about it - it's building, writing and (often) web-designing all at once. Each of these alone can take lots of work and together the task is very intimidating.

For me it's simply that there is not enough of the Big Three. First is time; with exams/revision, other websites, music, social life, etc. it's difficult to find hours in which to do building, writing and website designing. Second is space - not as big a problem but I live in a somewhat cramped home so building large models and dioramas is tricky. Third is money: more of a personal weakness but all the same I think most on here would agree that when you're becoming an adult, going to college and thinking of getting your own place you need all the cash you can get and Lego bricks is probably not the most ideal thing to be spending it on.

And then there's not really much of an incentive to do it. You're not going to make any money from it (unless you publish it like the Brick Testament but that's very, very rare), and people at school/work aren't exactly going to give you a round of applause (see Imdol's recent posts) for what you produce. Even on here, often you're not even likely to get that many responses. To quote the great Maedhros a while ago...
Maedhros wrote:written some five pages and illustrated it with MOCs and some photoediting and I get one reply
Of course this is entirely subjective and no doubt those of you who do write/illustrate stories get plenty of enjoyment out of producing them and get a satisfactional number of replies. These are just my personal reasons though I think they could apply to others.
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Sir Kohran wrote:To quote the great Maedhros a while ago...
Maedhros wrote:written some five pages and illustrated it with MOCs and some photoediting and I get one reply
Just as a matter of interest, Matt, when did I write that? :P (Oh, it sure looks like something I would write but I can't remember it..)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis