Isle of Mist?

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Isle of Mist?

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

On the web I've seen various versions and extentions of stories on "The Isle of Mist". Could somebody tell me where it started and when? Thanks
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Ah, that is a can of worms now, isn't it. ;)

Once upon a time there was a site known as Castle World:
http://www.ozbricks.net/castle/
which was meant to be a gathering place for all castlehead AFOLs. In the last couple of years there has been little added to the site. The site changed hands, and there was some debate on what, if anything should happen to it. The current owners of the site say it will soon rise from the ashes, and I hope they're right--more castle sites will only help the community, not hurt it. Others had doubts, or perhaps had a different vision of what a general Castle LEGO site would be, and classic-castle.com was created out of this discussion, just over a month ago.

The Isle of Mist (or Mists, I never knew which was right) was part of Castleworld. It was supposed to be an open-ended experiment in joint roleplaying/storytelling. There was this island, shrouded in mist, that anyone could travel to if they had a ship or some sort of airship. People would construct their teams and have them travel to the island and build colonies (people would photograph these themselves and the photos would be gathered on the Castleworld website). The mist receded very slowly, so the colonists could not travel into the island interior (or meet eachother). As far as I recall, this is where things ended. The map never got updated with the mist receding, so colonists never created more stories about their travel to the interior, nor did they meet eachother. After months with no updates, enthusiasm for the project died, some accusations were hurled about, and people moved on to other collaborative projects (like the joint town created for Brickfest 2002, the Medieval Marketplace standard, and now the Classic Castle City standard).

Bruce
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hallo!
Bruce N H wrote:There was this island, shrouded in mist, that anyone could travel to if they had a ship or some sort of airship.
And I always wondered what the heck airships may have to do with Castle?
And you better don't ask what "Mist" means in German....

Bye
Jojo

Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

well Jojo you ask about airships. i have had a idea for some time about airships and castles together. and you dont see many lego airships but ive seen some ive made many airships even a castle in the sky but i have but one airship on my site (hears the link) www.harveynet.nu/justin/ andd go to gallery and look for airships :D :D :D

lone ranger
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
lone ranger wrote:well Jojo you ask about airships. i have had a idea for some time about airships and castles together.
Yes. Of course you can build whatever you want to and what you think is suitable for your story, especially in a fantasy world.

However, my point is: Why should an airship of any kind be essential to a medieval world? They may exist even in a fantasy world, but I would never consider them "normal" and like "everybody has one in the car pool of his castle to reach some misty islands", but rather a special surprise by a mage or something like that.
A society that is able to build airships probably doesn't fight with swords and lances but has developed more modern technologies in this sectors too, as well as in several others. Even Leonardo da Vinci wasn't able to build a working flying machine, and he didn't live in the middle ages but in the Renaissance, a time period in which science and research had reached levels like never before.

This is why I wouldn't "airships" consider an equal category of a castle world like "castles", "siege weapons" and "coaches" and so on. Airships are quite uncastley. And I do not even know if this word can be formed¹ :-)
But that's - of course - just my humbly opinion.

Bye
Jojo

¹) I love building neologisms in German, so sometimes I try it in English, too. If I fail: I don't care much ;-)
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Jojo,

Airships are definitely a fantasy element, and I haven't seen many that I liked too much. We do have TLC's introduction of an airship in what is perhaps the worst official castle set of all time, Witch's Windship:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6037
Also there were those little flyers in the Fright Knights line:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2848
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2539
Of course, these are all good arguments against flying machines.

Oh, there are also some gliders in the Ninja subtheme, but that doesn't bother me. I have no idea if there is any accuracy to these (and I highly doubt it), but at least a glider doesn't push into advanced technologies, and it seems the perfect vehicle for a Ninja (small, light, silent). E.g.:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6045_1&v=z

Bruce
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

not that kind of airships. on my web site there is a airship link in gallery. i build a airship and have been building bigger ones with cannons on them.
www.harveynet.nu/justin/

lone ranger :D
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Airships are just an excuse for people to get to one place from another in acouple of minutes :wink:
I spent half my time here looking for the thread on "the Isle of Mist". I think it would be interesting doing somthing like this in the RP. Not to big, because the original wasnt very well organised. What do you people think?
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

Bruce N H wrote: The Isle of Mist (or Mists, I never knew which was right) was part of Castleworld. It was supposed to be an open-ended experiment in joint roleplaying/storytelling. There was this island, shrouded in mist, that anyone could travel to if they had a ship or some sort of airship. People would construct their teams and have them travel to the island and build colonies (people would photograph these themselves and the photos would be gathered on the Castleworld website). The mist receded very slowly, so the colonists could not travel into the island interior (or meet eachother). As far as I recall, this is where things ended. The map never got updated with the mist receding, so colonists never created more stories about their travel to the interior, nor did they meet eachother. After months with no updates, enthusiasm for the project died, some accusations were hurled about, and people moved on to other collaborative projects (like the joint town created for Brickfest 2002, the Medieval Marketplace standard, and now the Classic Castle City standard).

Bruce
THis sounds like a very interesting and fun idea....perhaps we should try something like it at CC.... :wink:
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Aggh! It's a topic from the dead! One that I started no less.

Concerning your idea on this for RP, I think it certainly would be an interesting idea. Rather then start one of our own, just continue what was dropped. Vauge hints at Irkos being far over the sea has been dropped and I even have a character stranded on an island far to the west. Who's to say that the Isle of mist couldn't be somewhare out there?

However, I would want to wait a bit on this, simply because there is so much going on already (and many things roughly planned). It's one of those plots that would be worthwhile to think about and save for sometime in the future.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

And you better don't ask what "Mist" means in German....
Manure. I remember that from highschool German. :lol: Isle of Manure.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]