My Explanation for Black Skeletons

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Lord Tyler II
Foot Soldier

My Explanation for Black Skeletons

Post by Lord Tyler II »

Many have noticed and pondered the mystery of the 08 Castle sets: Why are some of the skelies black?
I haven't heard any real theories, but I did hear mention of possible racism (jokingly), which I'm sure is false. So, I've created my own "story-line" reason for the black skelies, and it's really pretty simple: They're charred! The "Evil Wizard's" lair seems to be in a volcanic environment (like most evil guys) and it seems likely that while this Necromancer was creating his skeletal horde some of the dopey bone-bags may have tripped, resulting in a fire/lava blackened soldier. After the first few fell in the Wizard probably would have realized the helpfulness of burnt skelies, being that fire hardened materials withstand more, and would have started "accidentally" giving his cohorts a magma-bath.
Anyway, that's my explanation for the skeletal mystery. Have a better idea? Post away!
Tanotrooper
Gentleman

Re: My Explanation for Black Skeletons

Post by Tanotrooper »

Well of course the skellies are burnt, otherwise they couldn't be black? Same with horses, wich I need to use in a MOC sometime...

TT
my brickshelf gallery:
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tanotrooper[/url]

Please take a look at my TTfigs:
[url]http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&start=15[/url]
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

thats a good thought! I thought they were ork or troll skeletons
Last edited by Danielas on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

I just use them as a different faction. Black skeleton vs. white skeleton= good fun.
Last edited by HeartOfDarkness on Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxglove
Laborer

Post by Foxglove »

My theory's a little different -

The evil wizard is obviously a Necromancer who raises the dead to do his foul bidding.

Some of his skeletons are black because they're coated with the magical refuse of his spell components - in other words, anyone killed by his black skeletons raises from the dead immediately instead of needed a curse cast on them.

Obviously they're also strengthened by the magical blight that clings to their frames - far more so than his normal skeletons.

A self-perpetuating army! :D
Pass not beneath, O Caravan, or pass not singing. Have you heard
That silence where the birds are dead yet something pipeth like a bird?
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I treat the black skeletons as a more powerful version of skeleton. Kind of like a "special forces" or "green beret" for skeletons.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I think the idea of them being more powerful has always made sense to me. I had never thought of them as different factions but if one had enough I could see it.

R
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:I treat the black skeletons as a more powerful version of skeleton. Kind of like a "special forces" or "green beret" for skeletons.
-Tower
I used to do omething like that, but after the second chess set my black skeletons outnumbered my white ones.
Moroder
Apprentice

Post by Moroder »

Foxglove wrote:Some of his skeletons are black because they're coated with the magical refuse of his spell components - in other words, anyone killed by his black skeletons raises from the dead immediately instead of needed a curse cast on them.
Dark skeletons of mine are magically enhanced, too, but... do you remember the wight from Myth: The Fallen Lords? Like those undead cratures, the dark skeletons of my army are "infested" with a corrosive liquid and explode upon impact.

It provides a new level of strategy to the opposing army... :lol:
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I like the idea of them being hardened by being charred. I also have more black than white ones, so the idea of having them tougher is out for me for now. What I do is have them be created by a dark magic that gives them a shadow-like property. It ties in well with some of my stories magical aspects. To be honest with you, I haven't really explored the thought in too much depth.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Lord Tyler II
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Tyler II »

Danielas wrote:thats a good thought! I thought they were ork of troll skeletons
That's not a bad idea! If some of his trolls died he could have simply raised them from the dead! And the possibility of black blood would explain some things...
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

I been callin' 'em "Burn Victims" since I first saw 'em.
FullNelson
Apprentice
Location: My head is floating in a far off land alone. My body is unfortunately stuck on Earth.

Post by FullNelson »

I always thought that the Wizard raised all his Skeletons from the dead and the Black ones were Cremated then the Wizard found the ashes and brought them to life. Then because the ashes alone would not hold them together he fused them with another skeleton coating them in black ashes that hardened. Then foila Special Forces.
<iframe></iframe>
Invaderjes
Peasant

Post by Invaderjes »

FullNelson wrote:I always thought that the Wizard raised all his Skeletons from the dead and the Black ones were Cremated then the Wizard found the ashes and brought them to life. Then because the ashes alone would not hold them together he fused them with another skeleton coating them in black ashes that hardened. Then foila Special Forces.
I was pretending they were orc skeletons, I like this ash ideal. That's pretty sweet!
Grommuk
Gong Farmer

Post by Grommuk »

Hmm, interesting.

However, I treat them more like zombies.

When a Necromancer raises a fresh body, it takes time for the flesh to fully corrode. These Walking abominations have black flesh outlining their bones because it has yet to corode, and necromancy does freaky things to flesh.
You take a little loot, and it all comes back to you