Maedhros needs YOU!

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Maedhros needs YOU!

Post by Maedhros »

OK, let's face it. I'm a fair builder at best while this place is overcrowded by really talented people. On the other hand I'd consider myself a good writer (and I've even heard a lot of people using a lot stronger words to describe my ability but I'm far too modest to repeat that here ;) )

So what do I want to say? Well, my grand plan is that I shall write stories, while someone else illustrates them with LEGO. How does that sound?

On to the details:

Right now I'm planning to make a series of four short stories set in the fictional land of Daencyr. These will be The Lay of the High King, The Lay of the Lion of Brestey, The Lay of the Death of Llwrlws and The Lay of the Anguish of Dyryaen.

Of these four, The Lay of the Lion of Brestey is already written (albeit in need of some serious editing) and illustrated, but I want to have that one "re-illustrated" as well. You can read the old version of it here. This was done two years ago so my current writing style is a bit different (and IMO better of course) nowadays. As for the other three I have them imagined in my head but none are written as of yet.

If you want to see another example of my writing you can read A Place to Call Home (link in my sig also), a short story that I wrote last summer. That one has nothing to do with Daencyr though.

Do you still follow? Now, on to a little introduction of Daencyr.

It all started years ago, before I even joined CC, while I read the classic LEGO epics such as Andrastavia and Ikros and realized that storytelling with LEGO should fit me really well. So I started a bit on my own story. Back then it was pretty much a cheap rip-off of Arthurian myths though (based on Mary Stewart and Marion Zimmer Bradley - that is, gritty Celtic stories rather than the French romantic tales of the late Middle Ages) but it has since then evolved to something completely different (I should send some words of thanks to ottoatm, Sir Dillon and TheOrk among others for inspiration and criticism during the years).

My current version of Daencyr is a country torn asunder by the conflicts of four human peoples. Roughly you could say that they are based on Celts, Saxons, Japanese and Mongols but that would be stretching it really far. You will find no elves, dwarves, wizards, orcs or trolls in Daencyr, however, behind the scenes you can find the Fae - most commonly referred to as "the Fair Folk". They are malevolent, kind, good, evil, violent, merciful or whatever seems to fit their current mood. Above all they are alien to human thinking so trying to make them fit with human morale would be foolish. The Fae are always in the background though and will play no major parts. They are present in the mists of the dark evenings of Autumn or the cries of the nightingales of the spring. In short they are the big mystery of Daencyr.

The basic concept of Daencyr has always been that of a dying civilization, or perhaps a dying way of life. The big epic that I was working on for some time was even called "Dying Beauty". These four lays that I want to write are going to be what is preserved of this age by those rare few who remember. Some of you may have read Fallen, a Pirate story that I started on (also in need of some editing). That one is set long after these Lays took place and I think the prologue gives a pretty good picture of the mood I want to convey.

Well, enough of Daencyr for now (but feel free to ask questions!) and on to my plans for these stories.

As I said my basic idea is that I write while someone else does the building. When it comes to photographing and photoediting I'd like to say that I really like experimenting with light, darkness, black&white, shading distorted colours et cetera. In short I like to experiment in ways to use photographing to convey a certain theme or mood. While I can't do any photographing of course (since I won't do the building) I will be more than happy to help out with or even do all of the editing. When it comes to sticker designs and the like I have designed quite a lot already but if the builder don't like them I am of course open to changing it (some examples here, here, here and here. ) I'd also like to say that even though I've envisioned a lot of characters, places and the like I am also open to changing that if the builder has any ideas or concerns.

Well, I think that's enough for now, don't you? if you have any questions feel free to ask. However, if you're interested in teaming up with me on this I'd rather you PM me since I don't want to let anyone down publicly if I get more than one offer.

Thanks,

Jonas
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Interesting. I've contacted you.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

As I said my basic idea is that I write while someone else does the building.
I've thought about doing this for a long time as well, especially since I haven't seen my bricks in 2+ years. :(

I'd like to see how this works out~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]