Ok, so I have this crazy idea...

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Ok, so I have this crazy idea...

Post by CVfan13 »

...but I don't know what to do with it.

Alright, so I had an idea how to write a book/short series of books detailing my own version/interpretation of the story of the world of Lego Castle starting back from the Yellow Castle up until the Fright Knights. Now, I haven't written anything yet, but I would really like to someday have a book about this published. It would obviously be meant to be based off of Lego Castle, but to do that, I would have to get permissions, copyrights and such. So, I'm asking you, what should I do with this right now?
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

You can write a fan-fic about Lego castle. As long as it's a fan-fic and you don't publish anything or sell any ideas, you should be good with copyrights/permissions side of things.
I've thought about this very idea many times myself, I hope you can write a good story about the wars between the different factions and how some factions disappeared altogether from time to time.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Quite a few people have tried this idea, ottatm's story comes to mind.

As it is, fan fiction is probably as far as you can get. I doubt Lego would allow you to start writing official (in the sense of being published) history for their copyrighted products :?
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

Yes, I considered just making a fanfic, but then, I thought, I would really want for it to be published someday... *sigh*

Oh well, I guess that is all I can do for now.... If and when I do have this written, where should I post it?
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Post it here in the stories forum. I understand your uncertainty on getting it published. I don't know what to suggest, but I wouldn't worry about it anytime soon. Wait until it is written before worrying about such things. Best of luck.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Actually, if you are genuinely serious about getting something published, such as in a book, be very wary of posting it online. Granted, this is not firsthand knowledge on my part, but by "publishing" online, a friend of mine was unable to secure a traditional paper-bound publisher for that reason regarding a story, having already put it up online.

Without researching or consulting an expert, I'm not sure if that's a problem with all websites, ie. any sort of prior publication, or if that's just an issue with certain websites, but if you actually have something that stands a chance of publication, I'd go carefully just in case. It's hard enough getting published without adding extra hurdles.

That being said, I highly doubt the odds of getting anything based off of official LEGO themes published is likely at all--unless you somehow managed to publish it under their auspices, so I wouldn't worry about that... a slick website is probably the best publication you can hope for.