Questions and comments about the Knights Kingdom

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
KingDavid
Apprentice

Questions and comments about the Knights Kingdom

Post by KingDavid »

I couldn't help but notice some of the comics-style pages in the back of my Mistlands Tower set. I also got a chance to play a LEGO Knights Kingdom video game. Now I'm just curious about the basics of the story. Here's what I've gathered so far about Knights Kingdom II:

Mathias was the king of Morcia. He had four knights - Sir Danju, Sir Santis, Sir Rascus, and Sir Jayko. His advisor, Vladek, got his hands on the magical Book of Morcia and used it create Shadow Knights to attack the Castle of Morcia. While the four knights were defending the castle, Vladek locked King Mathias away in the dungeon. The knights rescued King Mathias and hid him away where he would be safe while they conquered the trials of the Citadel of Orlan and obtained the heart of the Shield of Ages, which they used to defeat Vladek in the Grand Tournament that he held to determine who would become the next king, claiming that King Mathias had vanished.

Sometime later, Vladek created the Vladmask, began to refer to himself as Lord Vladek, and with the power of the mask, he succeeded in taking over the kingdom. It was Sir Jayko that defeated him this time by destroying the Vladmask. After that, King Mathias passed on the crown to Sir Jayko.

Did I get all that right? Did I miss anything important?

Now, after becoming king, Jayko discovers that Lord Vladek has returned and has recruited the Rogue Knights, led by Dracus and Karzon, to help him seize control of the magical Mistlands Tower to once again take over Morcia. So King Jayko takes his two best soldiers, Adric and Kentis, and sets off for the Mistlands Tower to stop Lord Vladek. King Jayko brings with them the broken pieces of the Shield of Ages to have them reforged by the legendary blacksmith (rumored to be Orlan, the first king of Morcia) who resides in the tower. So as Adric and Kentis hold off the Rogue Knights, the blacksmith repairs the shield and King Jayko uses it to repel Lord Vladek's attack and seal him away in the magical orb at the top of the tower. Once back in Morcia, King Jayko bestows upon Adric and Kentis the title of knight.

I think I got all of that. Was there more to it? I don't see why people hate the Knights Kingdom so much. At least there was some storyline to it. I, for one, would like to see a Knights Kingdom III. Three knights weren't enough to stop Lord Vladek before. King Jayko needs more than two knights, for sure. I wish LEGO hadn't recently taken down their Knights Kingdom homepage or I might have gotten more info from there. And what I found on Wikipedia is sketchy at best. Okay, I guess I'm done. Anyone else have anything to add?
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I'd like to throw my hat in here and ask that we please not let a debate come out here about whether KK2 was good or bad... I've heard it so many times for several years now... could anyone who posts in this thread just focus on his questions concerning the story?
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
RichardAM
Merchant

Re: Questions and comments about the Knights Kingdom

Post by RichardAM »

KingDavid wrote:I think I got all of that. Was there more to it? I don't see why people hate the Knights Kingdom so much. At least there was some storyline to it. I, for one, would like to see a Knights Kingdom III. Three knights weren't enough to stop Lord Vladek before. King Jayko needs more than two knights, for sure. I wish LEGO hadn't recently taken down their Knights Kingdom homepage or I might have gotten more info from there. And what I found on Wikipedia is sketchy at best. Okay, I guess I'm done. Anyone else have anything to add?
I'm interested in knowing how much or how closely the youngsters would follow these stories. Part of the fun of the themes when I was growing up was creating my own stories and adventures rather than following something TLG suggested.

Soldiers always fought the Pirates, but maybe all themes should just be left along story-wise and the kids given full-control over the plots as they interperet it?
Brik Masta
Foot Soldier

Post by Brik Masta »

The only major part I noticed missing was the Part 2 of Jayko, Danju, Santis, and Rascus taking down Vladek.

Which(from what I can remember) is this:

Vladek retreats to the Moorlands(I think that's their name), and builds a fortress there. The KK knights get new magic armor. King Matthias tells them of his plan to defeat Vladek once and for all. He sends them ahead of his armies to open up Vladek's fortress by the time the army arrives. I can't remember much of the journey to the moorlands, but I know Danju gets captured. So Jayko goes to rescue his captured comrade, leaving Santis and Rascus to get the gate open. Jayko rescues Danju from the cave of the scorpion and they meet up with the army. Somehow(it didn't show how in the comic) Santis and Rascus open the gate just as the army arrives. A final battle ensues, the "shield" doesn't help and breaks I think, and finally one of the knights (I think Danju) destroys the mask giving Vladek all his power.

THE END

Hope that helped, even though I couldn't remember everything just right.
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

ottoatm wrote:I'd like to throw my hat in here and ask that we please not let a debate come out here about whether KK2 was good or bad... I've heard it so many times for several years now... could anyone who posts in this thread just focus on his questions concerning the story?
Yeah, I wasn't trying to get into a discussion about the sets or parts. That's pretty much up to personal preference. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I have wondered if maybe the fact that the Knights Kingdom theme had several pre-named characters and and that each set seemed to recreate a single scene from a pre-written story might be the reason why some people didn't like it. LEGO is about creativity, after all. It's hard to be creative when you just recreate someone else's scenes. Then again, these sets were originally intended for kids, so I can understand the reason why there was a story to begin with. Anyway, yeah, I just really wanted to know about the story, that's all. And thanks for the details, Brik Masta. :)
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I have wondered if maybe the fact that the Knights Kingdom theme had several pre-named characters and and that each set seemed to recreate a single scene from a pre-written story might be the reason why some people didn't like it. LEGO is about creativity, after all. It's hard to be creative when you just recreate someone else's scenes.
This is exactly the debate I'm talking about... :wink:

I'm not going to tell anyone what they can and cannot post, but I can tell you that this debate has been had many times. :)

Personally, I didn't mind a back story - and kind of liked it - it was interesting in a way.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]