Braveheart

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Sir Troy of Linebaugh
Serf

Braveheart

Post by Sir Troy of Linebaugh »

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it would be a good idea to recreate the movie Braveheart as a lego story. It is my favourite movie and I have already created some characters(like Hamish and William). I would make the story on my own but I will accept any tips or comments ere I begin. It will probably take me awhile though.
"You have bled with Wallace! Now bleed with me!" - Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn

Alba ga bra!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Re: Braveheart

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Sir Troy of Linebaugh wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it would be a good idea to recreate the movie Braveheart as a lego story. It is my favourite movie and I have already created some characters(like Hamish and William). I would make the story on my own but I will accept any tips or comments ere I begin. It will probably take me awhile though.
Any excuse to play with Lego is a good one. People are often inspired by the striking visuals of movies. I suppose I should chime in about movies taking liberties with novels and history (Tolkien, William Wallace, etc.) and would encourage looking deeper into the history than the movie, but regardless, go for it if the movie is what gets your creative juices flowing.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Thats a good idea Sir Troy.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Yes, it would be very interesting to read once you are finished.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice

Post by RuthleSs__PaLadin »

I once had that idea. I really was going for just the battle...Sterling. I did not however had the enough troops for it :cry: It would be awesome to see you re create this story however. Show us some characters, that would be cool.

Dan
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

If you do it or not, I suggest that you look into LEGOFREAK's Scots and their tartans. And maybe Jojo's Scottish Black Falcon.

Maybe you have stuff like that. Maybe not. I have no idea.
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

RuthleSs__PaLadin wrote: I really was going for just the battle...Sterling.
Battle of Bannockburn! The Bannockburn is a small river outside Stirling, a town in Central Scotland. It has a great castle. "Sterling" is our money, as in pounds sterling. The battle was fought on the floodplain of the river, below the Stirling Rock.

There is a re-enactment of it every year...we go to watch. It`s a brilliant day out, and you can try your hand at archery and swordfighting.

http://www.gaddgedlar.com/bannockburn.htm

You do know that "Braveheart" was mostly historically innaccurate tosh with bad accents and filmed in Ireland, don`t you? It was great fun to watch, but speaking as a Scot I was falling off my seat laughing m,ost of the time. Oh well, any publicity is good publicity...did a lot for our tourist industry.....
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

RuthleSs__PaLadin wrote:I once had that idea. I really was going for just the battle...Sterling. I did not however had the enough troops for it :cry: It would be awesome to see you re create this story however. Show us some characters, that would be cool.

Dan
Thats easy to solve if you have the right material of computer. You can turn one perfect soldier into millions.
So desconfiate of all the organized armies.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Lady Val wrote:
Battle of Bannockburn! The Bannockburn is a small river outside Stirling, a town in Central Scotland. It has a great castle. "Sterling" is our money, as in pounds sterling. The battle was fought on the floodplain of the river, below the Stirling Rock.
You were too busy laughing during the film - Bannockburn is not covered in the film except for a final charge led by the Bruce. The movie covers the Battle of Stirling Bridge (which, for the benefits of the curious and non-Scottish, wasn't like the movie at all - the English idiotically decided to cross the extremely narrow Stirling Bridge in the face of a Scottish army under Wallace and Moray. The Scottish predictably waited until the vanguard was across, charged and massacred the troops that had crossed while the rest of English army could only stand on and look horrified - the movie even omits mention of the bridge). And the Battle of Falkirk, which was hooey too, but at least vaguely closer to the real thing.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice

Post by RuthleSs__PaLadin »

Lady Val wrote:

There is a re-enactment of it every year...we go to watch. It`s a brilliant day out, and you can try your hand at archery and swordfighting.

http://www.gaddgedlar.com/bannockburn.htm

You do know that "Braveheart" was mostly historically innaccurate tosh with bad accents and filmed in Ireland, don`t you? It was great fun to watch, but speaking as a Scot I was falling off my seat laughing m,ost of the time. Oh well, any publicity is good publicity...did a lot for our tourist industry.....

I see...So thats the battle according to the movie, where the english charge at them and loose their calvary and the scottish end up killing every man in the field. It would be neat to see something like that done in lego :twisted: Even though, I am not sure how it happened historically. :D

Dan
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Lady Val wrote:You do know that "Braveheart" was mostly historically innaccurate tosh with bad accents and filmed in Ireland, don`t you? It was great fun to watch, but speaking as a Scot I was falling off my seat laughing m,ost of the time. Oh well, any publicity is good publicity...did a lot for our tourist industry.....
Ah, Hollywood. Park your brain at the door.

Books usually do a better job. I can't remember the author, but someone wrote a fairly decent account of Robert the Bruce etc in a series of historical novels. Mary Stewart? Nigel Trantor???? Someone like that. I fairly enjoyed the account of Bannockburn, but that was decades ago.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

footsteps wrote: Mary Stewart? Nigel Trantor???? Someone like that. I fairly enjoyed the account of Bannockburn, but that was decades ago.
Decades ago, as in: shortly after the battle took place? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding!

Seriously though, almost any movie you see will be historically inaccurate. The most accurate movies made are those that are NOT intended, and do not purport, to have any basis in reality.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I can't give any advise on how to make the movie, I only saw part of it once, but still, I wish you luck, and hope to see it when you are done. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Sir Troy of Linebaugh
Serf

braveheart

Post by Sir Troy of Linebaugh »

I think I'm going to make it between the movie and the historical account. The battle of Stirling from the movie should would be the battle of Stirling Bridge in my story. But I would go with how the battle of Falkirk happened in the movie. I wouldn't have any of that rubbish about Wallace in love with the Queen because that never happened in history. I going to be starting on the story sometime in August as soon as I get my camera back from my friend.
"You have bled with Wallace! Now bleed with me!" - Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn

Alba ga bra!
Aviah102
Laborer

Post by Aviah102 »

Sir Troy, in my opinion, i would just use the movie as a source of creativity. Braveheart has long been one of my favorite movies, and it inspires me when i try to create something with my legos (when writing your story i suggest using the soundtrack to the movie, its very nice).
(Though, going a little off topic...)
Did you really not enjoy the movie that much Lady Val? I can understand that the movie was a stretch from history, but i would think you might enjoy the movie a bit more as William Wallace is one of Scotland's greatest national heroes.
(Have you ever been to his monument? Just wondering.)