Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:17 pm

AK_Brickster wrote:I think a lot can be learned from the way they set it up over at Eurobricks. Instead of "Heraldry" they use kingdom colors, which is much easier to do, and would automatically place certain factions into where they belong, ie, whichever region has blue as a primary color could easily incorporate Black Falcons and Crownies into their ranks.

Yeah, that sounds easier. And yes, a lot can be learned from Goh.
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Frank_Lloyd_Knight » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:23 pm

AK_Brickster wrote:I think a lot can be learned from the way they set it up over at Eurobricks. Instead of "Heraldry" they use kingdom colors, which is much easier to do, and would automatically place certain factions into where they belong, ie, whichever region has blue as a primary color could easily incorporate Black Falcons and Crownies into their ranks.


That sounds like the simplest and most obvious solution. Good idea.
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Journeyman
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:53 am
Location: Corpus Christi

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Lego Stu » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:36 am

I've been thinking about this and had a slightly different idea to throw out. The map idea is cool as well as the competition element and an expanding and more intricate world, but the guilds on EB seem like a lot of work for somebody. My proposal is that every two months (except during contest season, so ten a year) there could be a building contest. The winner of the previous contest would set the parameters and be the judge. If you win you judge the next contest then sit one more out (no tag backs). When setting parameters for your contest they could be very specific (Build Caldern Castle) or vague (what lurks in the dark alley by the Market Square in Eagoth?) but would always include a location on the map. In this way builders would have to reference previous work for different architectural styles, local customs and characteristics (according to BuilderX's MOC, everyone in Larboth is blond). The only real work that someone capable would have to volunteer for is updating the map. In this way it would not create more work for Admins and Mods(they do enough) everyone competes for a prize (getting to pick the next contest and judge it, therefore having an opportunity to shape part of the new world in their vision), and we could have an ever expanding and more detailed world that would be accessible for anyone to add to without having to join a faction. What do you all think?
Lego Stu doesn't advertise.
User avatar
Lego Stu
Villein
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:20 am

Lego Stu wrote:I've been thinking about this and had a slightly different idea to throw out. The map idea is cool as well as the competition element and an expanding and more intricate world, but the guilds on EB seem like a lot of work for somebody. My proposal is that every two months (except during contest season, so ten a year) there could be a building contest. The winner of the previous contest would set the parameters and be the judge. If you win you judge the next contest then sit one more out (no tag backs). When setting parameters for your contest they could be very specific (Build Caldern Castle) or vague (what lurks in the dark alley by the Market Square in Eagoth?) but would always include a location on the map. In this way builders would have to reference previous work for different architectural styles, local customs and characteristics (according to BuilderX's MOC, everyone in Larboth is blond). The only real work that someone capable would have to volunteer for is updating the map. In this way it would not create more work for Admins and Mods(they do enough) everyone competes for a prize (getting to pick the next contest and judge it, therefore having an opportunity to shape part of the new world in their vision), and we could have an ever expanding and more detailed world that would be accessible for anyone to add to without having to join a faction. What do you all think?


Hmm... Well, thanks for the idea, but I still like the format\genre of Guilds of Historica. A collaborative world\theme is quite different from a monthly contest. I don't think it would be too much work for the admins, or mods, or folks involved. I also still like the idea of joining factions, in which stories, wars, adventures and other exciting things could happen. :)
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Teherean » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:31 am

I'm going to take initiative here and contact the current "overlord" of GoH on Eurobricks to throw some ideas out there. If they say we can't incorporate CC into the existing Historica world (i.e. adding an island to their map or something) we start something "isolated" here.

I agree that the essence of the guilds is driving people to make the most of their building skills to earn points for their guilds. I think this would indeed give a new dynamic side to building challenges, with guilds "fighting" for power.

I'm kind of a lore geek so if no-one minds, I can write a few paragraphs about our own thing, make a map and set up heraldic guidelines according to the classic factions mentioned earlier (Black Falcon, Crusader, Wolfpack etc.). Also, I could make up some categories for MOC's and challenges to keep things interesting for members.

Obviously starting this project on my own would be a lot of work. Anyone offers to help, you're very welcome! I'll contact GoH over at Eurobricks and we'll see from there.
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

Image
User avatar
Teherean
Steward
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Weert, the Netherlands.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:40 am

Teherean wrote:I'm going to take initiative here and contact the current "overlord" of GoH on Eurobricks to throw some ideas out there. If they say we can't incorporate CC into the existing Historica world (i.e. adding an island to their map or something) we start something "isolated" here.

I agree that the essence of the guilds is driving people to make the most of their building skills to earn points for their guilds. I think this would indeed give a new dynamic side to building challenges, with guilds "fighting" for power.

I'm kind of a lore geek so if no-one minds, I can write a few paragraphs about our own thing, make a map and set up heraldic guidelines according to the classic factions mentioned earlier (Black Falcon, Crusader, Wolfpack etc.). Also, I could make up some categories for MOC's and challenges to keep things interesting for members.

Obviously starting this project on my own would be a lot of work. Anyone offers to help, you're very welcome! I'll contact GoH over at Eurobricks and we'll see from there.

Thank you Teherean! I know alot of the people interested (myself incuded) don't have a Eurobricks account. Count me in! also write some backstory down and lets hear it! :) Several others said they would try some maps too, so I'm thinking we'll all vote on which we like best! :)
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Teherean » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:48 am

here's what I posted over at Eurobricks just a while ago.

Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome to GoH here at Eurobricks! It's a pretty cool thing you have going here, I'll be sure to try and participate as much as I can.

Now on to my actual message: Your concept has been picked up by forum members of Classic-Castle.com. For those of you unfamiliar with the site, it is an AFOL site centered around the castle/medieval theme. I came here with a "message" from us, the users of Classic-Castle.

Basically, A few pages of discussion on the forum led us to the following idea: fusion Guilds of Historica with activities on Classic Castle. Some ideas were to actually incorporate CC into the GoH world as a separate guild, giving us something like an island of our own to interact with your world but to have it exclusively for members of CC. Another idea was to keep the two separate, allowing us to use the great template that GoH left us to make up something similar of our own, copying the backbone of GoH but with our own backstory, maps, guilds etcetera etcetera.

Here's a link to the forum thread about GoH over at Classic-Castle: http://www.classic-c...php?f=3&t=21579

I'm curious where you all stand on this. Let me know! I Scream Clone, I assume you started GoH so if you have any personal notes, comments or ideas you can PM me and I'll send you my e-mail adress.

Regards

Marijn, a.k.a. Teheran

P.S. I joined Mitgardia because of reasons. ;)


Now, we wait and see ;)
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

Image
User avatar
Teherean
Steward
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Weert, the Netherlands.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:57 am

Teherean wrote:here's what I posted over at Eurobricks just a while ago.

Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome to GoH here at Eurobricks! It's a pretty cool thing you have going here, I'll be sure to try and participate as much as I can.

Now on to my actual message: Your concept has been picked up by forum members of Classic-Castle.com. For those of you unfamiliar with the site, it is an AFOL site centered around the castle/medieval theme. I came here with a "message" from us, the users of Classic-Castle.

Basically, A few pages of discussion on the forum led us to the following idea: fusion Guilds of Historica with activities on Classic Castle. Some ideas were to actually incorporate CC into the GoH world as a separate guild, giving us something like an island of our own to interact with your world but to have it exclusively for members of CC. Another idea was to keep the two separate, allowing us to use the great template that GoH left us to make up something similar of our own, copying the backbone of GoH but with our own backstory, maps, guilds etcetera etcetera.

Here's a link to the forum thread about GoH over at Classic-Castle: http://www.classic-c...php?f=3&t=21579

I'm curious where you all stand on this. Let me know! I Scream Clone, I assume you started GoH so if you have any personal notes, comments or ideas you can PM me and I'll send you my e-mail adress.

Regards

Marijn, a.k.a. Teheran

P.S. I joined Mitgardia because of reasons. ;)


Now, we wait and see ;)


Perfect!! :D Now to wait for a reply. I would be interested to hear what the others think?
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby mencot » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:12 pm

The stone is rolling, this sounds very interesting like the EB Guilds of Historica but as I said before don`t have the time to go through many forums. Count me in. :D
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
ImageImageImage
Flickr
User avatar
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Den of unforgotten heros

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:27 pm

mencot wrote:The stone is rolling, this sounds very interesting like the EB Guilds of Historica but as I said before don`t have the time to go through many forums. Count me in. :D

Glad you're in, Mencot! :D

Also...

Dear Admins and Mods,
What do you all think? Would this be acceptable? Would this work?
If it does not, I understand. :) We could always try this in a Flickr Group. Although I would prefer we do it here.

Mark
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Albatross_Viking » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:25 pm

I've taken a little while to look through these pages of suggestions, and it sounds interesting.
Me and a few other guys had a project named the Casteland Group Stories around here a while ago, it's still somewhere in the Stories forum. Regarding that, Sir Zeppelin has a mapmaker programme that he's pretty good at, if i shall say so. I believe he'd possibly be able to make out some nice maps with it.
I've heard a bit about Wobnam's project too, and I for one wouldn't want to have two close to similar stories/games going on in the same forums. Maybe all these ideas can be "worked into" one system.
About including it into GoH or not, i see these possibilities:
We contact somebody (probably the Guild leaders) on GoH and, if allowed, make up a fifth Guild (or anything) exclusive to CC members(?). Maybe based on actual classic castle sets and factions, or maybe with a geography and general appearance that a leading group and/or poll on here decides.
If we do not want it to be directly connected to GoH, the main decisions will be, as already discussed, what kinds of factions (whatever we'll call them) there'll be. It wouldn't be very interesting with a separate system with only one faction, so we'll have to make some decisions about how it's going to be: should we use actual LEGO factions, a few pre-set custom factions (like in GoH), or have a system where basically everyone (with a certain amount of support from so and so many participators?) can start their own "country"?
If the last option is chosen, we'll also have to decide what will actually be required to form a faction.
My opinion on this topic is, that we should make something that's not related to GoH. Since we'll then be on two different forums, interaction between the "CC Guild" and the other ones will probably be pretty sparse, and we won't really be able to take part in the various contest e.t.c. the other guilds have going on. Or, at least, it may be quite complicated. If it was to be, it should indeed be on a pretty isolated island, as Teherean suggested.
On top of that, I think I'd prefer non-official factions, but that's just my opinion. And if shmails (who I know is a very skilled decal designer, so there'll be no problems with the quality) could, as he stated, take up the task of turning ideas and designs into actual stickers, it would be piece of cake for everyone else to apply them and thus bring the factions to life. Provided, of course, that it wouldn't put too much pressure on his time.
I also agree with Teherean that background lore etcetera is an important thing for a system like the one we're planning, and I may as well write some of it.
Lenfel Militia & Minister of Information Distribution
Image
Image
FlickR
User avatar
Albatross_Viking
Gentleman
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:58 am
Location: Denmark - The Frozen North

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Albatross_Viking wrote:I've taken a little while to look through these pages of suggestions, and it sounds interesting.
Me and a few other guys had a project named the Casteland Group Stories around here a while ago, it's still somewhere in the Stories forum. Regarding that, Sir Zeppelin has a mapmaker programme that he's pretty good at, if i shall say so. I believe he'd possibly be able to make out some nice maps with it.
I've heard a bit about Wobnam's project too, and I for one wouldn't want to have two close to similar stories/games going on in the same forums. Maybe all these ideas can be "worked into" one system.
About including it into GoH or not, i see these possibilities:
We contact somebody (probably the Guild leaders) on GoH and, if allowed, make up a fifth Guild (or anything) exclusive to CC members(?). Maybe based on actual classic castle sets and factions, or maybe with a geography and general appearance that a leading group and/or poll on here decides.
If we do not want it to be directly connected to GoH, the main decisions will be, as already discussed, what kinds of factions (whatever we'll call them) there'll be. It wouldn't be very interesting with a separate system with only one faction, so we'll have to make some decisions about how it's going to be: should we use actual LEGO factions, a few pre-set custom factions (like in GoH), or have a system where basically everyone (with a certain amount of support from so and so many participators?) can start their own "country"?
If the last option is chosen, we'll also have to decide what will actually be required to form a faction.
My opinion on this topic is, that we should make something that's not related to GoH. Since we'll then be on two different forums, interaction between the "CC Guild" and the other ones will probably be pretty sparse, and we won't really be able to take part in the various contest e.t.c. the other guilds have going on. Or, at least, it may be quite complicated. If it was to be, it should indeed be on a pretty isolated island, as Teherean suggested.
On top of that, I think I'd prefer non-official factions, but that's just my opinion. And if shmails (who I know is a very skilled decal designer, so there'll be no problems with the quality) could, as he stated, take up the task of turning ideas and designs into actual stickers, it would be piece of cake for everyone else to apply them and thus bring the factions to life. Provided, of course, that it wouldn't put too much pressure on his time.
I also agree with Teherean that background lore etcetera is an important thing for a system like the one we're planning, and I may as well write some of it.
Wow, there are many great ideas here! :D As to maps, Shmails and AK_Brickster both said they would make at least one and we would vote on which we like best. And if Sir Zeppelin has a mapmaker program I'm sure we'd all like see him submit a few too. :) I haven't seen the Castleland group stories before, I will look into that, Yes, well, I've haven't heard much more than vague rumors a long time ago about Wobnam's project, if he was willing to elaborate on it I'd much appreciate it. And if someone knows where it posted I'd like to read about it. Link? I'm not sure if you read about this but, Teherean already wrote a letter to one of the leaders of GoH asking about our situation
Teherean wrote:here's what I posted over at Eurobricks just a while ago.<br sab="807"><br sab="808">Hello everyone!<br sab="809"><br sab="810">First of all, thanks for the warm welcome to GoH here at Eurobricks! It's a pretty cool thing you have going here, I'll be sure to try and participate as much as I can. <br sab="811"><br sab="812">Now on to my actual message: Your concept has been picked up by forum members of Classic-Castle.com. For those of you unfamiliar with the site, it is an AFOL site centered around the castle/medieval theme. I came here with a "message" from us, the users of Classic-Castle.<br sab="813"><br sab="814">Basically, A few pages of discussion on the forum led us to the following idea: fusion Guilds of Historica with activities on Classic Castle. Some ideas were to actually incorporate CC into the GoH world as a separate guild, giving us something like an island of our own to interact with your world but to have it exclusively for members of CC. Another idea was to keep the two separate, allowing us to use the great template that GoH left us to make up something similar of our own, copying the backbone of GoH but with our own backstory, maps, guilds etcetera etcetera. <br sab="815"><br sab="816">Here's a link to the forum thread about GoH over at Classic-Castle: http://www.classic-c...php?f=3&t=21579<br sab="817"><br sab="818">I'm curious where you all stand on this. Let me know! I Scream Clone, I assume you started GoH so if you have any personal notes, comments or ideas you can PM me and I'll send you my e-mail adress. <br sab="819"><br sab="820">Regards<br sab="821"><br sab="822">Marijn, a.k.a. Teheran<br sab="823"><br sab="824">P.S. I joined Mitgardia because of reasons. ;)<br sab="825"><br sab="826">Now, we wait and see ;)

As to factions, it's still up in the air, I'm thinking custom made factions (like in GoH) would be the most interesting, others have said that we should use "Classic Factions" like Black Falcons, Crusaders, and Wolfpack, ect... We could possibly have some of each, maybe? Anyhow, I'm good with either way
As to making your own "Country", I'm not really sure, it would be very interesting if it was set up that way, like say we would start with the first four(or five) factions and then everything is going fine, but then say six or seven users ask (according to the rules) if they can set up a new "faction" or even possibly more like a duchy or protectorate. Power among factions and lower factions could possibly be rated by numbers of users and\or success in contests between factions. I do know if we leave room for growth in the maps we design, this could easily be a possibility. I also think that it would be hard to participate in the contests in the actual GoH. I believe we should plan to have our own contests or challenges hosted by the CC, GoH, Island, (whatever we are going to call it!) itself. And as to Lore\Backstory, write some! and post it up! :D Thank you for your input and ideas!
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Glory_Forever » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 pm

This looks cool :) Count me in as well :D
User avatar
Glory_Forever
Villein
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 am

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Glory_Forever wrote:This looks cool :) Count me in as well :D


Hey Glory_Forever! Wecome in! :D
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby lord_of_orks » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Albatross_Viking wrote:
My opinion on this topic is, that we should make something that's not related to GoH. Since we'll then be on two different forums, interaction between the "CC Guild" and the other ones will probably be pretty sparse, and we won't really be able to take part in the various contest e.t.c. the other guilds have going on. Or, at least, it may be quite complicated.

I have to agree with you here, I think it would me much better if we made our own world instead of making it an extension of GoH.
Image brickshelf flicker
one for all! all for one! every man for him self!
User avatar
lord_of_orks
Squire
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: waiting to ambush the knights

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplay and LEGO gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest