Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm

richardanthonyc wrote:Well I have an entire WORLD I have created and a story this is over 80,000 words long at the moment... :lol: <br sab="603"><br sab="604">I like the map lord of orcs made, I think that we should let everyone who wants to create a dot on a map where they can locate a castle with a picture attached somehow. That way there would be a map of the world with a view of every kingdoms buildings on it. I am not sure how to do that but if you could somehow hover over the selected square and see a picture with a link it would be a good idea


Wow, that's impressive! Although I'm pretty certain (someone correct me if i'm wrong) the general consensus was that we were going to create a new story, of which you can be a part. :) But if you could get it posted up here I'd love to read it. :)
Yep, that's the idea! The ability to add a creation to a map via link, located in your chosen faction's lands, would be very cool! We could possibly do it on Flickr. First, you would get it on Flickr, then you can add a note to the map photo giving the location of a creation on the map we end up choosing. :)

AK_Brickster wrote:Personally, I'd prefer to have a tie to GoH as a new "Island Territory" or something. My reason for this is that we get to reap the benefits of their extensive existing organization & coordination. We could still develop our region to our liking without having to start from scratch. <br sab="650"><br sab="651">Also, even non-members of EB can read their forums, so it would be easy to stay connected to what they are doing over there. If we had one person who was our "representative" to EB, they could stay in the loop as far as monthly contests and run the CC thread. Once a contest deadline closes, that person could simply post a summary of results and a link to our thread on the GoH forum. I don't think it would be that difficult.<br sab="652"><br sab="653">Teherean is already signed up over at EB, so he could possibly do it. If not, I'd be willing to handle it.<br sab="654"><br sab="655">As for magic, trolls, etc, I think that there should be a place for them in whatever we come up with. I don't think we need to have wizards who are casting kingdom-wide force fields or raining down meteor showers to smite their foes, but if someone wants their sig-fig to be an orc/werewolf/centaur/etc or if someone wants to have a castle headed by a warlock that's staffed by an undead army, I don't want to crimp their creativity.


That's true. The benefits of being linked to them alone would be large, and I think we could still do things our own way. Yes, Exactly! Wizard lead rampages were what I didn't want to see! :P Although I still don't like the idea of undead armies. Zombies\skeletons aren't authentic to what I believe we are trying to achieve. I don't think we will be crimping to much creativity by not going so much towards wizards or undead things.
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Hey, sorry to double post. :C but I had an idea!

As some have said that having "Classic Factions" would make us different from GoH. We could possibly have new style armor, helmets, and shields for them. Check out the links!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-of-falworth/6830491279/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-of-falworth/6830488651/in/photostream/

What do you guys think?
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby shmails » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Just to let everyone know, I am working on a map right now, but it may be a few days until it is finished. I promise it will be different, unique, and have some cool regions to inhabit.

My opinions on the rest are this:
- I think we are better off doing our own thing. I do not have interest in weeding through all the Eurobricks pages to understand the entire backstory, and we are smart enough people to come up with our own storyline and everything.
- Classic factions should be part of our world, since that is what drew most of us to this site. We can have guilds and clans as small groups outside the mainstream that can include any other factions or even custom ones. If you only have figures from one faction, that is where you should be, but we can offer stickers to help build armies and such.
- The map must be large enough to allow for multiple castles and keeps so that all who want can make their faction stronger through building.
- Each faction will have a building "style" and colors that identfy their structures. This does not mean you must build a green castle or anything, but accent colors should reflect your faction.
- Each region of the map will have defining factors as to who lives there, such as forest, mountains, desert, etc. This will also help define a style for each.
- There should be some unclaimed areas to allow for late arrivals to join in and not have to start from the back of the pack.
- Each faction should have a backstory that tells who they are, what they do well, and who their friends and enemies are.

I am sure there is more, but those are my starting thoughts. I am sure more will hit me as I am doing the map.
User avatar
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: In my basement customizing minifigures

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:30 pm

shmails wrote:Just to let everyone know, I am working on a map right now, but it may be a few days until it is finished. I promise it will be different, unique, and have some cool regions to inhabit.<br sab="611"><br sab="612">My opinions on the rest are this:<br sab="613">- I think we are better off doing our own thing. I do not have interest in weeding through all the Eurobricks pages to understand the entire backstory, and we are smart enough people to come up with our own storyline and everything.<br sab="614">- Classic factions should be part of our world, since that is what drew most of us to this site. We can have guilds and clans as small groups outside the mainstream that can include any other factions or even custom ones. If you only have figures from one faction, that is where you should be, but we can offer stickers to help build armies and such.<br sab="615">- The map must be large enough to allow for multiple castles and keeps so that all who want can make their faction stronger through building.<br sab="616">- Each faction will have a building "style" and colors that identfy their structures. This does not mean you must build a green castle or anything, but accent colors should reflect your faction.<br sab="617">- Each region of the map will have defining factors as to who lives there, such as forest, mountains, desert, etc. This will also help define a style for each.<br sab="618">- There should be some unclaimed areas to allow for late arrivals to join in and not have to start from the back of the pack.<br sab="619">- Each faction should have a backstory that tells who they are, what they do well, and who their friends and enemies are. <br sab="620"><br sab="621">I am sure there is more, but those are my starting thoughts. I am sure more will hit me as I am doing the map.


I agree on almost every point. Except that I still think that it would be better to... (thinking of wording) be more close to GoH, be sort of like an expansion of our own. But If more people want to be completely separate, I'm not going to stand in the way! :D I like the idea of classic factions. I would like it even more if we can customize them a little, like the links I posted above ^^ but if this isn't agreeable to everyone, we can do truly classic figs. I'm all right with that too! :)
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby shmails » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Here is my map so far. It has four defined regions and an unclaimed island. I will be adding mountains, forest, desert, and rivers in a few days, but wanted to get some idea if I was on the right track first.

Image

Much, much bigger view here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31157752@N04/6830799917/in/photostream

Please let me know what you think so far, it is done in Illustrator so anything can be altered at any point in the process. Thanks!
User avatar
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: In my basement customizing minifigures

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:17 pm

This is great! Really cool! We may want to consider having part of the main island disappear off the edge of the map. So as to provide room for future expansion. Just a thought... Otherwise very cool!
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby AK_Brickster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:27 pm

shmails, if I could add one suggestion, it is that there isn't much shared border in your layout, ie, people in the northern province don't share any border with anyone in the lower 2 provinces. Other than that, I really like what you've got going so far :)
Image Image
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - - - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby shmails » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks guys.

My reasoning for the layout was to keep them all from sharing borders, which I do not find as realistic. It also allows for more diverse landscape from one region to another, which is harder to do if they all share borders. The Northern region will be very mountainous, the NorthWest region will be forested, the central region will be plains and desert, and the southern one will be rivers and lowlands.

They all share a coastline, which allows for free movement from the North to the South without having to cross borders. If you guys would rather have a more evenly dispersed map with connecting borders between all regions, I will try to fix it, but I thought this was different, especially from the Eurobricks map.

I will be away from my computer for a few days, but will work on this more later in the week, thanks for the input everyone!
User avatar
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: In my basement customizing minifigures

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:55 pm

shmails wrote:Thanks guys.

My reasoning for the layout was to keep them all from sharing borders, which I do not find as realistic. It also allows for more diverse landscape from one region to another, which is harder to do if they all share borders. The Northern region will be very mountainous, the NorthWest region will be forested, the central region will be plains and desert, and the southern one will be rivers and lowlands.

They all share a coastline, which allows for free movement from the North to the South without having to cross borders. If you guys would rather have a more evenly dispersed map with connecting borders between all regions, I will try to fix it, but I thought this was different, especially from the Eurobricks map.

I will be away from my computer for a few days, but will work on this more later in the week, thanks for the input everyone!


Hmm... Good point. it is very different from the GoH one. it would be awesome to have more naval action too! :D
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby KyleKreations » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Greetings! I have read through this forum and I really like the ideas that have been presented. I have been participating in the GoH and it has been a blast. Here are some of the reasons shy I have liked it. It has given me the chance to get great tips and advice on my Mocs.It gives me something to build all the time.The challenges are fun incentive to build good. It has been fun to create stories and interactions. Such as creating a discussion over trading materials or border disputes.
One of the reasons I haven't liked it is the 18 age limit. I am defianetly one of the younger ones. Why I am leaning more to this CC version is because I wasn't really in on the beginning of GoH. I have also not liked some of the restrictions that it has put on my building. For instance, I am part of the Avalonian guild. It is the more foresty of the 4 guilds. I have a little kingdom in the enchanted forest but I feel like doing a mountain MOC. It would be very nice if we could incorporate all land reigons but not restrict an area to just one type of building. I am really looking forward to seeing where all this will go and for right now I would count me in. If you need an ambassador for GoH I can help if any questions need answering about it. Thanks!- K.Kreations
User avatar
KyleKreations
Serf
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Mark of Falworth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:51 pm

KyleKreations wrote:Greetings! I have read through this forum and I really like the ideas that have been presented. I have been participating in the GoH and it has been a blast. Here are some of the reasons shy I have liked it. It has given me the chance to get great tips and advice on my Mocs.It gives me something to build all the time.The challenges are fun incentive to build good. It has been fun to create stories and interactions. Such as creating a discussion over trading materials or border disputes.
One of the reasons I haven't liked it is the 18 age limit. I am defianetly one of the younger ones. Why I am leaning more to this CC version is because I wasn't really in on the beginning of GoH. I have also not liked some of the restrictions that it has put on my building. For instance, I am part of the Avalonian guild. It is the more foresty of the 4 guilds. I have a little kingdom in the enchanted forest but I feel like doing a mountain MOC. It would be very nice if we could incorporate all land reigons but not restrict an area to just one type of building. I am really looking forward to seeing where all this will go and for right now I would count me in. If you need an ambassador for GoH I can help if any questions need answering about it. Thanks!- K.Kreations

Welcome to CC Kyle! :D Glad to have you in!! Having a war between factions would be so cool! As you said, border disputes, or skimishes would be so much fun to build! I also like the idea of having more variable landscape. Of course, some places will have mountains, some places will have deserts but we should allow some mountains in the forest part or a rocky\mountainish spot in the desert. A little variation would add great realism.
User avatar
Mark of Falworth
Man-At-Arms
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm
Location: In the sands of Loreos.

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby mencot » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Mark of Falworth wrote:
KyleKreations wrote:Greetings! I have read through this forum and I really like the ideas that have been presented. I have been participating in the GoH and it has been a blast. Here are some of the reasons shy I have liked it. It has given me the chance to get great tips and advice on my Mocs.It gives me something to build all the time.The challenges are fun incentive to build good. It has been fun to create stories and interactions. Such as creating a discussion over trading materials or border disputes.
One of the reasons I haven't liked it is the 18 age limit. I am defianetly one of the younger ones. Why I am leaning more to this CC version is because I wasn't really in on the beginning of GoH. I have also not liked some of the restrictions that it has put on my building. For instance, I am part of the Avalonian guild. It is the more foresty of the 4 guilds. I have a little kingdom in the enchanted forest but I feel like doing a mountain MOC. It would be very nice if we could incorporate all land reigons but not restrict an area to just one type of building. I am really looking forward to seeing where all this will go and for right now I would count me in. If you need an ambassador for GoH I can help if any questions need answering about it. Thanks!- K.Kreations

Welcome to CC Kyle! :D Glad to have you in!! Having a war between factions would be so cool! As you said, border disputes, or skimishes would be so much fun to build! I also like the idea of having more variable landscape. Of course, some places will have mountains, some places will have deserts but we should allow some mountains in the forest part or a rocky\mountainish spot in the desert. A little variation would add great realism.

Yes there have to be some variation, of course exemple mountain people use stuff that is available to them but that dosen`t mean that they cant build any where else.
War between diffrent factions and clans would be great and who is allies and enemis, friends and foes.
Useing the classic factions is a good idea but that too a good idea to join in some own custom clans and orders.
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
ImageImageImage
Flickr
User avatar
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Den of unforgotten heros

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby Cuahchic » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi all,

I am not a regular poster here (although that is true for all forums I join), mostly a lurker, so don't feel like anything said here is necessarily that important. However, I am a member of Guilds of Historica and you can see my stuff on my Flickr page. I haven't built much yet but it's early days yet and in time I will build more.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Guilds of Historica event on Eurobricks. The level of participation has been brilliant and each of the participants have had plenty of scope for defining the look of their own areas. I think some of the MOCs have been inspiring. The whole thing has got me building Castle again after a long absence.

For those who aren't aware there are 4 Guilds - Mitgardia (Viking style), Avalonia (feudal Western Europe style), Nocturnus (evil style) and Kaliphlin (desert style). I joined the latter Guild. I have tried to create an Arabic style faction so I can build some great architecture.

Although it's been great, I have a few things which IMO could improve it.
(1) You can only join one Guild. Although building in other Guilds is allowed (but frowned upon if I interpret correctly), the competitive nature of the event means that there is little incentive to build in other styles. In addition, you want to try and keep your Guild not looking too similar to the others. So for example, I would love to create some Viking MOCs but I feel that it would be a waste of my energies as the result would be Kaliphlin Guild looking a lot like Mitgardia. It would be nice if there was the possibility that I could have a sub-faction within each Guild (although it might destroy the competitive element). Just something to consider.
(2) This one is my personal preference and has been already discussed in this thread: there's too much overt fantasy for my tastes. I don't expect everyone to list primary sources when posting a MOC, but (personally) non-human species and magic are off-putting for me (in general). I'm not saying it should be completely banned, but I'd say that I'd much prefer more A Song of Ice and Fire as opposed to Lord of the Rings. That's very much personal preference but a comment I thought I'd make. Custom factions are fine, but I prefer to build in the world I know (i.e. the physics and capabilities of the real world).
(3) It's too Euro-centric. By that I mean the MOCs! Three factions are 99% European inspired and only one (Kaliphlin) tries to break that mould, but even then a lot of entries have been Western-European crusader style MOCs. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, and it is very much personal preference, but I hoped to see more of Mesoamerican, Far Eastern or African civilisations. Maybe I love unusual history too much!

Don't get me wrong, I will be continuing to participate in GoH but these are my opinions based on what I have seen so far. In summary, try and allow people the possibility to build in all Guilds; be a bit more imaginative about included cultures and keep it reasonably realistic and I will definitely join!

PS - I'd be against basing the "factions" (a much better word than "guild") on classic LEGO factions, for reasons described above. In order to include them, why not do something like the crusading orders, where they are a badge of membership rather than a strict geopolitical entity. That would allow them to be used in all lands and add an interesting twist - a master of each order could be appointed for each and they could be bought as mercenaries for other states who share their world outlook. Just a thought!
User avatar
Cuahchic
Villein
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby lord_of_orks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 pm

since there seem to be a number of people here that would prefer to have no magic/fantasy, I was thinking that perhaps we could have a faction that distrusts and outlaws magic from there land?
Image brickshelf flicker
one for all! all for one! every man for him self!
User avatar
lord_of_orks
Squire
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 pm
Location: waiting to ambush the knights

Re: Guilds of Historica on Eurobricks

Postby theboywarrior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:56 pm

lord_of_orks wrote:since there seem to be a number of people here that would prefer to have no magic/fantasy, I was thinking that perhaps we could have a faction that distrusts and outlaws magic from there land?


Personally, I prefer a fantasy world, but also understand why someone wouldn't. You sir, you have a brilliantly simple solution.
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

Image
User avatar
theboywarrior
Steward
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 am
Location: Trenzalore. Help.

PreviousNext

Return to Roleplay and LEGO gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests