Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

The KK2 Storyline

Discussion of Castle Themed stories

Postby The Tennis Ball Kid » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:28 pm

SKM: Apparently we have misunderstood each other. I apologize for any annoyance or offence you took from my post, I assure you it was entirely unintentional. I am now 'laying off'....

TTTBK
User avatar
The Tennis Ball Kid
Laborer
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:07 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby Sir Kohran » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:44 pm

The Tennis Ball Kid wrote:SKM: Apparently we have misunderstood each other. I apologize for any annoyance or offence you took from my post, I assure you it was entirely unintentional. I am now 'laying off'....

TTTBK


Ah, it's okay. :) And I apologize for anything I said.
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Postby rogue27 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:39 am

SKM from BZPower wrote:I'm sorry if I souded aggresive, but I'm annoyed that after the effort I put in to make this, some people just come and insult me.


You could have saved some time by just posting a link.

Anyway, I don't think people here dislike KK2 because of the story. For me, the story is just one more thing for me to dislike about KK2, but the bad story is not important enough to affect purchasing decisions.

However, I think the fact that the story dictates what types of sets are released and what minifigs those sets contain is a problem.

The majority of our problems with KK2 come from it's dependance on the story and the story's influence the set design. I could go through a bullet list of examples, but this has been talked to death.
User avatar
rogue27
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:14 am
Location: The Icy North

Postby Devari » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:27 am

I suppose the thing that I don't like with the story is that LEGO is ignoring more open-ended play aspects and threatening more conformity to the storyline.

I think the main reason many AFOLs fell in love with Castle LEGO was the open-ended stories back in the 80s and early 90s. Up until the Fright Knights there appears to be no clear good vs. evil, and in the KK1 series it still more or less leaves the history open to interpretation. Only in KK2 is there truly a defined story.

Don't get me wrong, I sometimes LIKE LEGO Company-made stories. The adventurers were a cool example, especially the Desert, Jungle, and Orient series. (Didn't care for the Dinos)
User avatar
Devari
Journeyman
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:22 am
Location: Daggerfall Spire

Re: The KK2 Storyline

Postby Emperor James » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:18 am

SKM from BZPower wrote:
*sigh* From what you and the guy above the next have said, I'm starting to wish I hadn't posted this at all. I'm not trying to impress you, merely trying to show people on here some of ther more elusive storyline facts. Whether you care doesn't really matter to me. And if you don't like the story, then make your own up for goodness sake! This is Lego! Just Imagine! Play Well!

-A highly annoyed SKM


P.S: 'Emperor' James, I do read books, if you're trying to insult my intelligence too. :x


LOL, you seem to feel affronted. Chill, man. Anyway, the whole point of these stories is to remove the "just imagine" and "play well" themes that worked well for so long, but apparently is failing now. And, I wasn't implying that you were trying to impress me; not being impressed was my overall impression of the story. You did say that many people dissed KK2 because they did not understand it... but understanding it is just another reason to diss it. As for making up a story, that is of course compulsory, but before anything from KK2 can be used, it has to be painted, and once it has been it is still not too appealing. Finally, I was not insulting your intelligence, merely saying that there are many far superior examples of good reading than the book of Morcia's lame KK2 story. Try Agatha Christie.
pwnage
Emperor James
Steward
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:55 am

Postby ottoatm » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:11 am

wow...

this little part of the forum is a little too hot for me...

but i wanted to say that I thought it was a good idea to post the story... I don't know what might go on in PMs or chats, but based on previous posts, I don't think everyone actually read it on the lego site, so it seemed fine to me.

Not the best story, but not worst either - I don't think Lego did such a shabby job.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot!
CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild
User avatar
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 3082
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:52 am
Location: New York

Re: The KK2 Storyline

Postby Sir Kohran » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:15 pm

Emperor James wrote:
SKM from BZPower wrote:
*sigh* From what you and the guy above the next have said, I'm starting to wish I hadn't posted this at all. I'm not trying to impress you, merely trying to show people on here some of ther more elusive storyline facts. Whether you care doesn't really matter to me. And if you don't like the story, then make your own up for goodness sake! This is Lego! Just Imagine! Play Well!

-A highly annoyed SKM


P.S: 'Emperor' James, I do read books, if you're trying to insult my intelligence too. :x


LOL, you seem to feel affronted. Chill, man. Anyway, the whole point of these stories is to remove the "just imagine" and "play well" themes that worked well for so long, but apparently is failing now. And, I wasn't implying that you were trying to impress me; not being impressed was my overall impression of the story. You did say that many people dissed KK2 because they did not understand it... but understanding it is just another reason to diss it. As for making up a story, that is of course compulsory, but before anything from KK2 can be used, it has to be painted, and once it has been it is still not too appealing. Finally, I was not insulting your intelligence, merely saying that there are many far superior examples of good reading than the book of Morcia's lame KK2 story. Try Agatha Christie.


*sigh* I'm not LOL. And yes, whilst the story does take away some of the freedom of Lego, who says you've got to even like KK2? I don't mind if you don't like it. I just thought this might be helpful resource for some people. And no, I don't think that the KK2 story can compare with Agatha Christie.
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Re: The KK2 Storyline

Postby Emperor James » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:08 pm

SKM from BZPower wrote:
*sigh* I'm not LOL. And yes, whilst the story does take away some of the freedom of Lego, who says you've got to even like KK2? I don't mind if you don't like it. I just thought this might be helpful resource for some people. And no, I don't think that the KK2 story can compare with Agatha Christie.


First of all, lol is an acronym that stands for laugh out loud. You will see it a lot . And of course no one can say I have to like KK2, but realize that when you make a long post which could have much more easily and efficiently been linked onto the Lego website, it makes a bit of a statement. My basic point is this: the KK2 story accomplishes its objective, if a bit crudely, but even if it was comparable to Agatha Christie's books, it wouldn't matter, because it has corrupted the sets. This is a bit off topic, but your original post made it seem to be somewhat in defiance of everyone who did not like the KK2 story.
pwnage
Emperor James
Steward
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:55 am

Re: The KK2 Storyline

Postby Formendacil » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:47 pm

Emperor James wrote:
SKM from BZPower wrote:
*sigh* I'm not LOL. And yes, whilst the story does take away some of the freedom of Lego, who says you've got to even like KK2? I don't mind if you don't like it. I just thought this might be helpful resource for some people. And no, I don't think that the KK2 story can compare with Agatha Christie.


First of all, lol is an acronym that stands for laugh out loud. You will see it a lot .


As I read it James, he understood that....

He seems to have been saying "Sigh. I'm not laughing out loud."

Now, let's all kiss and make-up....

Okay, better not. Forget the kissing and forget the make-up.

Still, calm down! This is a plastic toy, not a moral issue or something world-changing....
Because everyone needs another LEGO blog to follow:
Grandfather's Tales
User avatar
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Framingham, MA

Re: The KK2 Storyline

Postby Sir Kohran » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:18 am

Emperor James wrote:
SKM from BZPower wrote:
*sigh* I'm not LOL. And yes, whilst the story does take away some of the freedom of Lego, who says you've got to even like KK2? I don't mind if you don't like it. I just thought this might be helpful resource for some people. And no, I don't think that the KK2 story can compare with Agatha Christie.


First of all, lol is an acronym that stands for laugh out loud. You will see it a lot . And of course no one can say I have to like KK2, but realize that when you make a long post which could have much more easily and efficiently been linked onto the Lego website, it makes a bit of a statement. My basic point is this: the KK2 story accomplishes its objective, if a bit crudely, but even if it was comparable to Agatha Christie's books, it wouldn't matter, because it has corrupted the sets. This is a bit off topic, but your original post made it seem to be somewhat in defiance of everyone who did not like the KK2 story.


Before Hand: I know what LOL, means, thankyou, and I'd also like to thank Formendacil for saying this.

Um, would you mind explaining how a storyline can corrupt the sets? And yes, I suppose I could have linked to Lego's website, but the 'Book of Morcia' page that most of the info comes from doesn't have the last part in it. And besides, I wanted to bring the storyline here, to show some people WHY some of the sets are the way they are. And no for the second time, I'm not trying to compare KK2 and Agatha Christie. That'd be like comparing the Duplo Castle to Tolkien. You can't. The two themes are both from different from each other and intended for different audiences. And no, you are wrong; I posted this because I saw a topic on the KK2 Guardian and people posting little pieces of story there. I wanted to put it all together and be able to show people HERE, not at Lego.com.
User avatar
Sir Kohran
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 am

Re: The KK2 Storyline

Postby Emperor James » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:19 am

SKM from BZPower wrote:
Before Hand: I know what LOL, means, thankyou, and I'd also like to thank Formendacil for saying this.

Um, would you mind explaining how a storyline can corrupt the sets? And yes, I suppose I could have linked to Lego's website, but the 'Book of Morcia' page that most of the info comes from doesn't have the last part in it. And besides, I wanted to bring the storyline here, to show some people WHY some of the sets are the way they are. And no for the second time, I'm not trying to compare KK2 and Agatha Christie. That'd be like comparing the Duplo Castle to Tolkien. You can't. The two themes are both from different from each other and intended for different audiences. And no, you are wrong; I posted this because I saw a topic on the KK2 Guardian and people posting little pieces of story there. I wanted to put it all together and be able to show people HERE, not at Lego.com.


Well, you said yourself that posting the storyline would make people understand why the sets are the way they are, so that is a contradiction. Specififically, this storyline has robbed us of good figs, given us crappy messed up swords, removed all possible chance for female figures, increased the prices of the sets (they charge more becasue of all the advertising), rendered most of the sets awkward, and given us mechanical horses. I'm not saying that the storyline is directly responsible for everything bad about KK2, just quite a bit of it. And I hardly am saying that the KK2 story is anywhere as good as Agatha Christie's mysteries, my point in that sentence was that even if it was as good as them, it wouldn't matter unless it corrupted the sets. And if your original post was not at all in defiance of those who are against the KK2 story, you shouldn't make it sound like that. Doing that, and perhaps only posting that final part, would have had a great effect upon the point you were trying to make.

edit: BTW the reason I didn't realize your point with the lol was that it didn't seem to make much sense in the context. Now I see that you are taking this seriously, I find it even more amusing. :P
Last edited by Emperor James on Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwnage
Emperor James
Steward
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:55 am

Re: The KK2 Storyline

Postby Formendacil » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:56 am

Emperor James wrote:...this storyline has robbed us of good figs, given us crappy messed up swords, removed all possible chance for female figures, increased the prices of the sets (they charge more becasue of all the advertising), rendered most of the sets awkward, and given us mechanical horses....


If you were a girl, would YOU want your gender involved in KK2, considering your obvious distaste for it???


:lol: :lol:

Besides which, if you want, you can make Jayko a girl. Other than the storyling (which can be discarded if desired, as this thread is proving), what is there to show that "he" is definitely a "he"? :wink:
Because everyone needs another LEGO blog to follow:
Grandfather's Tales
User avatar
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 4189
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Framingham, MA

Postby Sir Drake » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:59 am

Emperor James wrote:
...this storyline has robbed us of good figs, given us crappy messed up swords, removed all possible chance for female figures, increased the prices of the sets (they charge more becasue of all the advertising), rendered most of the sets awkward, and given us mechanical horses....


If you were a girl, would YOU want your gender involved in KK2, considering your obvious distaste for it???




Besides which, if you want, you can make Jayko a girl. Other than the storyling (which can be discarded if desired, as this thread is proving), what is there to show that "he" is definitely a "he"?


In my story Jayko is a boy(he even got's a girlfriend). But he left the order of the rainbow knights because he is the Chosen One and he can use his powers to take over the entire kingdom of Morcia. So he doesn't has his babyblue armor anymore but he's now entirely black with a ninja armor and long hair(he doesn't looks like a girl at all).. 8)
User avatar
Sir Drake
Archer
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:04 pm
Location: Somewhere...

Previous

Return to Stories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests